Chapter 11 – Palace Guard
1.8k 1 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Franz, standing in the spotlight, was busier than ever. Having to participate in successive banquets and parties had left him exhausted. Such was the life of a noble in Vienna.

Franz’s younger brother, Maximilian, was also in the same situation, but he seemed comfortable with such a life. He was enjoying the frequent parties rather than being exhausted by it, which was something Franz envied.

Franz had never enjoyed social engagements, especially with a group of devoted nobles dancing about, constantly keeping him on his toes.

“Your Imperial Highness, it’s time for you to visit His Highness Archduke Louis’s party. We should set off now if we don’t wish to be late,” his secretary Rolf reminded.

“I understand. Inform Maximilian to come with us!” Franz commanded.

“Yes, Your Imperial Highness!” Rolf replied.

Franz would have liked to bring his other two younger brothers with him, if not for his mother’s strong objection. At the very least, they could spare him most of the stress of dealing with the young noblewomen who watched him like hawks. Unfortunately, his two younger brothers were much too young. Not only did Archduchess Sophie keep them away from such parties, but Franz also did not want to lower the age limit for such parties, either.

The truth was that they were much more attractive to the young noblewomen than Franz. Being the Imperial Crown Prince gave Franz a higher status than every other noble in Austria, but it also doomed him to a marriage that could only be a political union. In contrast, his younger brothers would have much more freedom in marriage, choosing from all the big noble families around the country–they would not encounter any objection.

***

Seeing that Maximilian was flirting with a group of young noblewomen very cheerfully, Franz pulled him out of the crowd and teased him. “How is it going? Have you found the love of your life, little brother?”

“Elder brother, even if I had, how do you think our dear mother would react...” his younger brother replied, seemingly unbothered by his joke.

Franz smiled and replied, “Is that true? Dear little brother, for the sake of your lifelong happiness, I don’t mind being scolded. But what about you? Can you just sit there and take the pressure from our dearest mother? Today, all the noble ladies here are much older than you; do you have a mother complex? Oh my God, Maximilian, how astonishing that you…”

“Don't jest, my dearest elder brother, if you go on talking like that, my lifelong honor and integrity will be destroyed!” Maximilian interrupted.

It was not the first time they had shared little jokes like that between them.

“Keep these annoying girls away from me for a while; they’re like flies. I need to go have a talk with Archduke Louis!” Franz said gravely.

“Well, how wonderful, to know you need me for something so unbecoming!”

Maximilian made an expression that displayed no signs of affection, while Franz rolled his eyes at him in mock disdain.

How could it be a simple party when Franz attended? He would be too lazy to be here if he had not wanted to use this banquet to deceptively influence public opinion.

***

“Your Highness, I need your support to obtain control of the Palace Guard!” Franz came straight to the point.

“Dear God! Little Franzi, where did you get such an idea? You’re only 16 years old, not even 18 yet!” Archduke Louis asked in amazement.

As the Imperial Crown Prince, it wasn’t a big deal for him to laze around in the army, but it was a different story to really take charge of an army, especially considering that Franz was not even 18 yet.

Therefore, he could only choose the Palace Guard which was the second-best option. Although the Palace Guard was few in number and their capability unknown, it was all Franz could manage.

“My dearest great-uncle Louis, you know I have had a fascination with the military since I was a child, and my dream had always been to become a general! However, it is unlikely that I’ll be in service to the army for a long time because of my position, so I can only satisfy my dream by leading the Palace Guard,” Franz explained as he stealthily changed his form of address from "Lord Archduke" to "Great-Uncle Louis."

Archduke Louis shook his head and said, “It’s not possible. You must know that the Palace Guard is of great importance to us. Not to mention, you’ve yet to prove yourself. If you really want to be a general, you can try your hand in the City Defense Force!”

Franz was very clear what kind of people the Austrian City Defense Force was composed of. The concentration camp of generals, as it was called, was the only unit in Austria where there were more officers than soldiers.

According to the tradition in the German region, nobles must be enlisted in the army as they grew into adults, or they would be condemned by the public. As most nobles in Austria were also from the German region, this tradition lived on in the Austrian Empire. However, as the Austrian Empire had decayed, the public turned a blind eye to these noble lords.

Since most nobles enlisted simply for show, save for few who really wanted to serve their country, there was absolutely no unwillingness on Louis’s part to let Franz take charge of this army.

Franz frowned and said, “Great-Uncle Louis, are you trying to fool me? You know just as well as I as to what kind of rabble is enlisted in the City Defense Force. Even the Great Marshall himself had said nothing could be done about them. What do you think I can do with them?”

Even after his intention was laid bare, Archduke Louis, a crafty politician, stayed calm and collected.

“Franz, calm down and think of it as a test of your skills. If you can manage to handle the City Defense Force, it will be proof that you can command any army.”

These words could perhaps swindle naive youngsters, but not Franz. He would not feel uppity just because of some flattery.

“Uncle Louis, I would be willing if you ordered all the gilded nobles to retire from the City Defense Force,” Franz replied with more aggression.

“Franz, it is impossible to order them to retire, even for the Emperor!” Archduke Louis replied helplessly.

“Which is exactly why the City Defense Force is unsuitable for me, unlike the Palace Guard. Or is it because you don’t want to give up the power?” Franz asked, looking at Archduke Louis with a pair of suspicious eyes.

“Not at all! Alright, how about this? Franz, you can join the Palace Guard, but not as the commander, since you’re too young. You’ll need a few more years of experience before that!”

“This damned age again... Well, then I’ll wait a few more years!” Franz replied in mock helplessness.

In fact, his purpose had already been served. The Palace Guard was different from any other army because they were only faithful to the Habsburgs.

For Franz, it was not necessary to be their commander to command them. Typically, this post was filled by the emperor himself or a member of the royal family assigned to the task.

At the moment, this unit was under the charge of the Regency Council, with Archduke Louis acting as commander. After Franz, the Imperial Crown Prince,  joined, surely the soldiers and officers would be more willing to serve him, the future emperor.

Franz had already made it clear that he had to join the Palace Guard. Even if Archduke Louis felt discontented, he couldn’t stop the Imperial Crown Prince.

34