Chapter 68 – Zero risk and High return
1.9k 3 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Silvestro Libonati cautiously said, "Lord Marshal, there are many innocent people who were mistakenly arrested as rebels. They all have families to support, so I was wondering when they would be released? "

Marshal Radetzky bitterly smiled and replied, "This is indeed a problem, but don't worry. We are currently investigating the people who were arrested, but it will take some time.

As to the problem of supporting their family, this is easy to handle. Venice City Hall will provide them with ration, so they won't go hungry."

To classify the guilty and the innocent from amongst the tens of thousands of prisoners won't be accomplished overnight. On top of that, the Sardinian army's attack is imminent, meaning that a stable Venice is of paramount importance. Marshal Radetzky won't take such risks. Franz is even less likely to take such risks.

Thus, the Viennese government has already begun to transport the prisoners away from Venice. Anyways, most of these people were previously workers, so they won't have much problem building roads. After their innocence is proved, they will be moved to work in state-owned factories with above-average pay. That will be enough to calm the grievances in their hearts.

Through a little guidance, their grievances and resentment can be channelled towards the rebels. After all, if it weren't for the true rebels who involved them in their rebellion, they would've never been punished with forced labor. It would be unlikely for them to blame the government since they would be given employment and paid wages. No matter how tough the work in state-owned factories, their treatment would be better than those working in factories owned by capitalists.

Someone who hasn't lived through a drought wouldn't appreciate the value of a drop of water. People are practical, especially the ordinary people who live day to day and have to worry about basic necessities such as food, water and shelter. The one who allows them to achieve a decent standard of living is the one to whom they remain loyal.

Initially, to win their support, the rebels had made promises to the serfs that the chains which bound them would be broken. As a result, the serfs helped them. Soon, the Habsburg regime in Venice was toppled and the rebels, dominated by nobles and capitalists, came to power. When it was time to fulfil their promise, however, the serfs were driven out.

In fact, their situation became worse as the cost of food skyrocketed and public order fell due to the corruption within the rebel regime. Then, they received the news that those who helped suppress the rebellion would receive a piece of land. For people who had toiled land belonging to others for generations, the value of their own land was unimaginable.

The serfs in Venice who had been incited to rise up against the Habsburgs had, instead, rushed to become their loyal supporters. Just as soon as the rebel regime was formed, it fell. Marshal Radetzky had managed to quell the rebellion in Venice easily thanks to the serfs.

Under strict order from Franz, the Austrian army strictly, headed by Marshal Radetzky, repeated the previous policy of culling the rich rebel leaders, seizing their land and dividing the land amongst the meritorious serfs. In addition to land, the freed-serfs were also given the farming tools and food seized from the rebellious nobles.

As a result, the countryside of Venetia, surrounding Venice, had now been stabilized. The remaining nobles had also become more cautious, for fear of being considered supporters of the rebellions. Despite the freed-serfs goading them to join the rebellion so that they could divide their land, the nobles were forced to keep their heads down.

In the short period of just over a month, nearly 70% of the nobles within Venice were deprived of their titles and land while nearly 80% of the capitalists had had all of their properties and businesses seized. For the remaining capitalists, this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. With most of their competitors gone, they would be foolish not to seize the market.

Anyways, regardless of who rules Venice, they need capitalists to pay taxes, and as long as they don't rebel, they won't be punished. The Viennese government had performed the previous bloodbath because many people had begun to consider themselves infallible. They provided funds and weapons to the rebels and still thought that they couldn't be touched.

In fact, it might be possible to do it secretly, as long as you are careful and not caught by the Viennese government, but imprisoned nobles and capitalists had become far too arrogant. They learned from the French and held campagne des banquets, except, rather than fighting for rights, they bragged about funding the rebels.

All those who had survived were intelligent people. Seeing that there was some friendship between Silvestro Libonati the Senior and Marshal Radetzky, in order to resume business as soon as possible, the capitalists pushed him forward as their representative to negotiate.

After hearing Marshal Radetzky's words, Silvestro Libonati knew that his goal would likely not be achieved, so he used his final move.

"Lord Marshal, since the outbreak of the rebellion in Venice, the local economy has been hit hard. If production isn't resumed as soon as possible, I'm afraid it will be tough for the people to pay this year's tax..."

Marshal Radetzky inwardly scoffed and replied, "Mr. Libonati, isn't that obvious? Due to the war, the local economy has been devastated. I have already sent someone to report to His Imperial Highness, asking for a tax waiver this year. Or are you saying that you will be able to pay the tax revenue this year? "

Silvestro Libonati hurriedly shook his head and said, "No!"

He really didn't dare to make such a promise. It would be God's blessing if Venice had 20% of previous year's revenue.

Marshal Radetzky smiled and said, "I understand your intentions. Our war with Sardinia will soon begin. In order to ensure the stability of Venetia, those arrested won't be allowed to return until the investigation is thoroughly completed.

I understand that you want to take the opportunity to expand production and seize the market. Don't worry, when we defeat Sardinia, your gains will be even greater. Since the capitalists in Milan are on the side of Sardinia, as losers, naturally, their businesses will cease to exist. I think you can fill the gap left by them."

This was nothing short of a naked hint that as long as they support Austria during this war, the business hub in Northern Italy would be Venice, once again.

Silvestro Libonati calmed his furiously beating heart and asked, "Lord Marshal, what do we need to do?"

"It's very simple, you just have to influence Sardinia and force them to attack Venice as soon as possible," replied Marshal Radetzky with a smile on his face.

Silvestro Libonati was overjoyed; such a deal with zero risk and a high return was a favorite amongst businessmen. If Austria lost, they would just lose a little money, but if Austria won, they could exponentially expand their business.

 

-TO BE CONTINUED-

33