Book Three: Chapter 20
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


Huntar studied the moving cubes above him. It was like a puzzle, floating around to confuse him. He could only expect Jenny might be high above the sorcerer's collection. 

The tiny cubes flew around the bigger cubes like flies. Huntar could barely see them, and they could trap him at any moment.

Only his speed could keep him away from the traps if he could spot one of them before they could catch him. If the others don't make it, he has to keep looking. Everyone was on their own.

Huntar turned toward Basju and Rani. "Spread out when you jump up. If we stay together, the traps will catch us all at once. Do not stop."

The monkey scratched his head. "But what if we need-"

"No!" Huntar sheathed his sword and pointed his finger at Basju. "We can't help each other! One wrong move and the traps will-"

"Are you ready now?" Nagendra’s echoing voice shouted from high above. "Your argument will only annoy me. Move now, or my little containers will attack you immediately. Ho! Ho! Ho!"

Huntar growled. "You heard his warning. Move!"

Basju and Rani sprinted to opposite directions. They grabbed onto different cubes and floated up.

Huntar sprinted forward. On all-fours, he leaped to the first cube before it levitated up.

Each time a cube approached his direction, he quickly leaped to the next one.

After he landed, a small cube shot toward him. Luckily, he could see it sparkled in the starlight reflection as it flew close.

With his sword out, Huntar swung his blade and shattered the cube into tiny pieces.

Good!

The traps weren't indestructible. If Rani and Basju notice too, their chances of getting caught will be slim. Too bad Huntar doesn't have time to tell them.

He placed the blade between his jaws and jumped to the next cube. However, the cube floated downward instead of upward. Sometimes the cubes' movement was unpredictable.

Huntar waited until another cube ascended close by in his reach. As he jumped, he held up his hands, reaching for the cube's top.

He touched the edge and slipped. His body fell as his sword slid out from his mouth.

He screamed until something caught his hand. While he dangled, he glanced up.

Rani held his hand while she crouched on a cube. "Got ya!"

She heaved him onto the cube and released his hand. Huntar caught his breath and looked down.

It was difficult to tell how high they were among the collection. With the entire chamber black with sparkling stars, the floor appeared invisible. Without his sword, Huntar was vulnerable to the traps.

The lion rose and glared at Rani. "You weren't supposed to help!"

The panther woman snarled. "If I didn't, you would have splattered on the floor."

Huntar pointed his finger at her. "But-"

"Do you want to die, or save Jenny?" Rani blinked her glaring eyes.

Huntar sighed. There was no time for an argument. If he died, he couldn't save Jenny. Losing his own life will not solve anything.

"Look out!" Basju dropped down and landed next to Rani.

A tiny cube rammed into the monkey’s back and expanded through him. He jumped up and down inside, but he couldn’t escape.

"That fool!" Huntar exclaimed.

Rani glared daggers at him. "Maybe he has a bigger heart than you!"

She bent down and jumped as high as possible. She grabbed onto Basju’s cube and clambered to the top.

She looked down and waved her hand to Huntar. "Come on!"

Clever girl. Maybe the monkey’s self-sacrifice will not be in vain after all.

Huntar continued  jumping from one cube to another cube. With hsi quick pacing, he should find Jenny very soon.

Suddenly, Rani screamed and Huntar glanced up. She floated away inside a cube like a bubble. Basju’s cube followed her as they both levitated up.

Huntar's frustrating growl escaped from his lips. He was the last rescuer now, and if he fails, nobody will leave the sorcerer's pyramid.

0