Book Three: Chapter 27
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


A boulder fell from the ceiling and crushed the Tinker into a puddle of blood. Jenny’s heart jumped because of the mole rat’s sudden death. Only two seconds made her realize that staring at Tinker’s demise would not protect her from the collapsing mountain cavern.

“We need to escape now!” Huntar roared as the ceiling crumbled.

Jenny shook her head and placed the second stone half into her pouch with the other one. “Let’s go!”

She took off, running as fast as she could while her friends followed her. The entire main chamber crumbled, and the ground quaked with opening cracks. Rocks and mechanic parts rained down from the trembling ceiling. The boilers and furnaces exploded, shooting flames through the falling debris. 

Jenny and her friends reached the tunnel, trembling too. None of them will be safe until they escape from the collapsing cavern.

Through the loud rupturing darkness, Jenny spotted the light straight a head. She jumped over the steaming floor pipes and dodged a few large falling rocks. “We’re almost there!”

An explosion erupted behind her, pushing her through the air. Her body hit the ground and rolled toward the open gate. 

After she stopped, she rose onto her hands and coughed at the ground. Then a black hand reached for her.

“Are you alright?” the male voice asked.

Jenny glanced up and saw Bladen standing over her. The black wolf man wore a heavy gray armor suit with spikes on his shoulders. More edgy than his other battle gear.

Jenny grabbed his hand and he pull her up to her feet. She stared at him suspiciously. “Why are you here?”

“Eera sent me to make sure your quest is successful.” He held out his hand toward her. “Do you have the stones?” 

Jenny cleared her throat and held up her pouch. “They are in here.”

Bladen grabbed the pouch and peeked inside. A sleek grin grew across his long face. “Good…..”

Jenny widened her eyes and turned around. “My friends!”

A wall of fallen debris blocked the entire tunnel end. Her heart arched when she couldn’t see her friends’ bodies. Whatever exploded, it made the tunnel collapse on them before they reached the exit.

Jenny sprinted, but Bladen grabbed her and wrapped his muscled, furry arms around her.

“Let go!” She cried.

“It’s too late for them! We must go!” Bladen shouted. 

“No!” Jenny slid from his arms and raced toward the rubble. She threw as many rocks off the pile, digging for her friends. “They might still be alive!”

“Enough!” Bladen smacked her head and caught her unconscious body. “Foolish girl.”

He carried her out from the cavern into the warm desert. His wolf warriors sat on their Yorks, waiting for him near the dead tree. The other Yorks that rested around the tree laid dead with their heads removed. In case the girl’s companions survived, they won’t get far without their mounts.

It was risky that he ordered his warriors to drop bombs into the chimneys to destroy the sorcerer’s lair. But he was sure the human girl and her companions could escape from their pending doom. Since her companions didn’t make it, Bladen didn’t need to worry about killing them in front of the girl. Their corpses will remain buried and forgotten in the desert.

He laid the girl’s body on the back of his York and climbed onto his seat. As he gripped his lead rope, he turned toward his small army. “We got what we came here for. Move!”

Bladen followed his warriors as they charged through the dry wasteland. He won’t let the chieftainess wait for long.    

0