Book Two: Chapter 4
219 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Halloween has arrived, the day when the trick-or-treaters storm out for candy. Sometimes they come out during the day, but totally they roam at night. That is when all the freaks and sweets are available.

 

I used to enjoy collecting from houses when I was little. My mom took me to the best rich neighborhoods to get the bigger candy. Those nights were totally awesome before she passed away. I stopped trick-or-treating because too many hurtful memories of my mom's death kept flooding me. And I grew out of trick-or-treating after I became a teenager. Now I only go to Halloween parties with my friends if my dad allows me. Usually, he does let me go when he works during Halloween. When I was stuck at home, I left a bucket of candy outside and watched freaky horror flicks on the couch. I watched them with my dad, which became our tradition together. Without him, it didn't feel the same. 

 

Anyway, tonight should be interesting. Better than watching a horror movie alone at night. Hopefully, no danger will find us at the castle.

 

As planned, I told my dad I will be going out with my friends for the entire Halloween night. He told me to call him if anything happens. I promised him before he left for work at the police station.

 

Easy, huh?

 

Sometimes he was lazy, but he still cared about me. His job totally tires him out.

 

While I packed my belongings, the doorbell rang downstairs. It could be Tiffany, arriving to pick me up. 

 

The crew and I planned to head to the island early before dusk. That way we could set up the party before more partygoers arrive. Like what kind of party would it be without Halloween decorations, food, and drinks? 

 

I answered the door, only to meet Kevin and Salina instead.

 

"Oh, hey guys," I said, tucking my pink sweater. "What’s up?"

 

"We were wondering what you are doing for Halloween tonight," Kevin asked, smirking like the dork he is. "Salina and I planned to investigate a special place later."

 

"What's special?"

 

"Duuuuuh! The Dregan Keep castle," Salina answered. 

 

"My school journalism club instructed me to investigate a paranormal place for their annual Halloween issue," Kevin explained, holding up his blue notebook. "I thought it would be nice if we go to the castle together for fun."

 

I crossed my arms. "Why Dregan Keep?"

 

"Because it's haunted." Salina wiggled her white fingers toward me. "Wooooooooooo!"

 

My skin crawled. Ugh, she's totally annoying. "Totally haunted?"

 

"Kind of, but it has a dark history," Kevin stated.

 

"What dark history?" I asked.

 

"You should know. The founder of Moondale built that castle in the middle of Moon Lake near the town. As the town grew, young girls started to disappear each night. One investigator managed to sneak into the mayor's castle, then we found the abducted girls chained inside a dungeon. Each of them has bite marks on their necks, and they behaved like animals. With the evidence, the town attacked the mayor, driving him back to his castle. When they set his castle on fire, he vanished. Nobody has ever seen him or heard from him again."

 

Kevin cleared his throat. "Lord Dregan is responsible for abducting the girls. Based on the victims' wounds, the investigators believed the mayor was sucking on the girls' necks. Tasting their blood."

 

My stomach totally turned. "He was drinking their blood?"

 

Kevin shrugged. "Yeah."

 

"Why? That is totally gross!" I could vomit right now, but I didn't want to ruin my comfy sweater.

 

"He's a vampire," Salina answered with a chuckle.

 

Kevin twisted his lips. "Well, the reports didn't say that. The people thought he was a serial killer who built the town to attract victims. But it could be possible."

 

Salina rolled her eyes. "Of course it is possible. He is from Transylvania."

 

First a werewolf, and now a vampire? What other weird stuff does this town have?

 

"I totally don't buy that," I said.

 

"But you should, Jessica," said Kevin. "We know werewolves exist, and you are one of them now. Vampires probably existed too."

 

"So you think this Dregan is totally hiding in the castle still?"

 

"Unlikely. There are no more reports about his whereabouts. His castle has been quiet for years too."

 

Maybe that could be a good relief. I could deal with another werewolf, but vampires were not in my category.

 

"So you wanna come with us?" Kevin asked, smirking.

 

Well, this was totally convenient.

 

It seemed like everyone planned to go to Moon Island for Halloween. Kevin and Salina could come to the party, depending on how long they wanted to stay. But it would be up to Tiffany and Brian to decide. After all, they will be running the party.

 

Although Kevin and Salina weren't popular, nobody would probably care if they come. And all the guys might find Salina hot since goth girls were still a thing.

 

As I opened my mouth, something crashed upstairs. The hairs on my back tingled as I faced the stairs, gazing up. "What the hell? Did somebody broke into my bedroom?"

 

6