Book Three: Chapter 7
95 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I walked into my house first and stepped aside from Dad's path. He locked the door and turned toward me. "I'll check in on Mrs.Yang soon. See if she will be alright."

"I hope so," I said cautiously.

Dad beamed his eyes at me. "What exactly happened?"

I bit my lip. "Ssssshe, tripped."

Dad crossed his arms. "Tripped?"

"Yeah! Totally! It was so slippery, she flew out the window. Totally trippy."

My Dad shrugged. "Well if she can't come back, perhaps someone else will take her place."

"Actually, Kevin said he could teach me some moves?"

Dad hung his coat on the rack. "That is why you're with him at the park?"

"Yeah, he took me out for ice cream too….. But it wasn't a date! He thought it was nice."

Dad smiled. "That's sweet."

The phone rang from the kitchen. Dad placed his hat on the rack next and rushed to the kitchen. "Excuse me."

I stepped toward kitchen door, near the crack with my ears open. Who could be calling her dad? 

With my enhanced hearing, I could hear phone calls as if they were close to her. Sometimes they were annoying when personal conversations were being told. Last time at school, I couldn't stop hearing the lunch lady tell romantic poems to her husband. Although I covered my ears, the cringe totally kicked my ass.

But listening to police reports from my dad on the phone helped me become aware of strange crimes in town. If anyone reports something weird, I would immediately investigate behind my dad's back. However, he never allowed me to join him because of police business. Maybe I should pretend I wants to become a cop after all. That way it would be easier for me to join him and see what the commotion was about.

I watched him pick up the phone near the counter.

"Yes?" He answered.

"Sheriff, we need you at the Moondale Natural History Museum now," said a woman's voice, probably a secretary who worked at the station.

"What is the problem?"

"There was a break-in, and a witness found a body near a missing mummy. You need to check it out."

"Is my partner there?"

"He just left. You will meet him there."

"Okay, I'm on my way."

I stepped away from the door as Dad hung up the phone. He approached me through the door

"What is it?" I asked. 

Dad grabbed his coat. "Sorry sweetie, but I have to head out again."

I crossed my arms with a sneer. "Police business?"

Dad placed his hat on. "Yup. I don't know how long I will be out. There's steak in the freezer for dinner. I already ate."

"Okay."

"Bye, sweetie." Dad kissed my forehead and headed out through the door. I heard him locked the door on the other side. "And don't call boys over!"

I laughed. "You're totally dramatic, daddy."

I listened to his footsteps reaching the jeep and he opened the door. After his vehicle drove off, I raced up the staircase to my bedroom.

A break-in, a body, and a missing mummy at the museum? Who would want a mummy anyway?

I totally needed to see the crime scene. 

In my bedroom, I took off my clothes and grabbed a sweater and sweatpants from my dresser. Dark gray was good enough to hide in the shadows like a ninja. Hehehe.

I placed them on and stood up, barefoot. In case I encounter a monster, I won't have to worry about destroying my valuable fashion. I had more sweater outfits in my closet and running barefoot somehow helped me move faster. Werewolves hate shoes I guessed.

I then opened my window and leaped through it, landing in the tree. I pushed the window down and jumped down, landing on my bare feet. 

Traveling to the museum won't take too long. I could run as fast as a car on all-fours, and I had studied the way during my field trip.

Sigh. Time to see what the hell was going on.

4