12. The Chosen Path (I)
1.7k 4 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Ah, damn light...' Forced to wake up - again - by the rays of sunlight hitting his face, Yueshi lazily grumbled to himself.

After taking his time to get out of bed, he went through the events of the previous night once again. Since he was sure that no one would believe he was the one that killed those people, he just tossed their bodies in the river – it probably would not take long for them to be found in the sewers.

The heavens seemed to be on his side, though. After he got back, heavy rain started to pour down, not only drenching the world as it raged on and on but also washing away the blood. If it wasn't because of the cracks and holes in the ground, now filled with water, there would be no traces left of the fight.

Then… he rubbed his temples and sighed. After he returned, Xuehua woke up while rubbing her eyes, and while the drug seemed to have lost most of its effect, she went to ask in a sweet and harmonious voice: "why don't we have some more fun?"

If he had not been worried about her relapsing, he would absolutely not have done it. At least, that was what he told himself. The truth was that hearing her ask made him go completely out of control once again.

Shaking his head he threw those thoughts out of the window and then looked at the other bed in the room.

Xuehua had already gotten up and left the bedroom, moreover, he could smell the faint but nice aroma of meat coming from the kitchen. Yet, instead of going over there, he stood rooted in place for a long and torturous while. What if after what happened the previous night she never looked at him in the eyes again?

'After all, I took advantage of her when she was at her weakest…' Rubbing his nape, he decided to accept things as they came. If she hated him, then all he could do was silently protect her from now on, because he believed that what he did had no forgiveness.

Opening the door, he watched as she slowly prepared the food. It seemed it had not been long since she got out of bed since her hair had not been combed yet. "What we will have for breakfast today?" His voice was unnatural and shaky, despite his determination to confront things head-on.

"It is long past the hour of breakfast already, this is dinner." Contrary to his expectations, she spoke with the same gentle and caring voice from when they first met.

Nodding, he moved and sat down by the table, taking his time to observe her. Her movements were masterful and refined, proof she had truly learned a lot in the restaurant. Xuehua mixed a few things, put spice on others, and tasted the content of a few pots and pans. Seeing her serious like that made him calm, for motives he did not comprehend.

"And…" He hesitated. "What about yesterday?" Still, what had to be asked had to be asked, leaving the subject untouched would not change what happened, nor his sin. Moreover, he couldn't look at her merely as his sister anymore, not after what they did.

"Hm? Yesterday?" To his surprise, she seemed truly confused at his question. "I almost forgot... Thanks for bringing me to bed. I remember collapsing just after I arrived." Her words left him staring blankly.

With his eyes open wide, Yueshi observed her. How could she not remember it after everything they did and went through? Leaning against the table, with his head resting on his arms, he found himself in a dilemma.

'To tell or not to tell?' If he told her, their current relationship would crumble into dust, and if he didn't, they would probably be brother and sister forever.

However, what he thought was a great predicament was answered in an instant.

"No problem. By the way, you also had a high fever during the night, so I guess you should take a leave from work for a few days." His voice sounded a bit strange and awkward, even to himself. If he could stand alongside her, even if they would never get closer, then everything was okay.

'Better being a brother than someone she hates and avoids.' Yes, he was an asshole, for she, above anyone else, had the right to know what happened. However, he was afraid of losing her. 'Please, just let me stay with you from now on, too.'

Xuehua was silent for a while as if thinking about something. "Well, maybe it is better that way. I don't want to cause trouble at the restaurant." Silence then fell over them until the food was ready.

--- - -

Having left the house after eating his meal under the excuse of sightseeing, Yueshi walked aimlessly around Flying Snow City. After what had happened during the previous night he had set firm resolve in becoming stronger. After all, if he did not do so, there would come a day when he and his sister would suffer even more.

Unfortunately, as someone of a poor household, there were few ways for him to pursue greater strength.

Honestly, he could always try having sex again, but not knowing how that worked for sure was a pain in the ass. Moreover, he wanted to cultivate using normal methods, if that was possible. After all, he did not want to repeat the same mistakes. Thanks to that, he had to find a way of acquiring ordinary cultivation manuals.

Obviously, he did not wish to settle for some common goods, and thankfully, he already got an answer to his plight during his 'date'.

The Star Sea Sect.

The Flying Snow City was ruled over by the Ling Family, and the family's patriarch, Ling Yu, was the strongest man around and also the city's magistrate.

Other than the Ling Family, the city also had another three big families - the Luo, Feng, and Xiao Families - and a few dozen smaller families and powers. Yet, even if they all banded together under a single banner, they would not be able to hold a candle to the Star Sea Sect.

The Sect was the country's absolute sovereign and its words and decrees affected the whole dynasty. Joining them would make Yueshi's road to power far easier to travel, and also net him the cultivation manuals, techniques, and resources he needed so much.

Moreover, as if it was fate at work, it just happened he was in time to register for the annual sect examination.

'Right now I should be roughly at the third layer of the Body Refinement Stage, so it shouldn't be hard to get in.' Yueshi clenched his fist as he assured himself. Then, he proceeded to walk toward a place he had seen during his outing.

It was a small stall that seemed to belong to a random merchant, and precisely the place where one could register for the sect's examination that would take place in a week.

After waiting in line for a dozen or so minutes, it was finally his time.

"Name, age, and cultivation base." The old man sitting behind the stall asked, his tone was lazy and uninterested – as if doing this work was a bother.

However, Yueshi did not mind it in the least. After all, in this world, he did not expect someone belonging to a sect to have a good attitude toward the common folk.

"Rong Yueshi, sixteen years old, third layer of the Body Refinement Stage." However, when those words left his mouth, the man opened his half-closed eyes and gave Yueshi a curious glance.

After severely scrutinizing him from head to toes, he finally spoke. "This city really hid some small surprises," he laughed boisterously. Then, he filled the registration papers for Yueshi while smiling slightly.

Seeing he was in a great mood, Yueshi smirked too. "Senior, any tips for this young one?" For someone as unaware of the ways of the world as him, any help would be welcome.

"Can't say much, since the sect has its rules." He then looked around for a moment. "But, for someone like you, all I can say is: persevere! That all you will need to pass the examination." He then yawned and closed his eyes, waving at Yueshi and indicating him to leave.

While pondering over his words, Yueshi decided to leave. His cultivation base was great even amongst those belonging to big families, but apparently, he wasn't the only surprise.

That aside, 'perseverance, was it?' Thinking about it, he grinned.

Well, if there was something he knew how to do was to persevere.

However, the smile faded into an awry expression abruptly. 'Why am I proud of that? It just goes to show how much we went through…' The figure of his mother flashed past his mind, making him sigh.

Shaking his head, as if trying to shake such thoughts away, he went through his list of what he had to do.

For one, he lacked both combat experience and techniques, and that was necessary for the examination. That being so, he would like to focus solely on that during this week.

'Maybe I should buy a weapon. It's just… I don't even know how to use one.'

Massaging his forehead, he noted he had a long way to go and many things to settle.

However, that was okay. Having many things to do gave him less time to think and worry about his current situation with Xuehua, and less time to think about how much he wanted to hug her, kiss her soft lips and touch her perky b… ahem, ahem, coughing and clearing his throat alongside his mind, he made a beeline toward his work.

--- - -

After settling things with Uncle Wang at the blacksmith, and asking for a few days off under the excuse of taking care of a sick Xuehua at home, Yueshi decided to visit the martial dojos that existed in the city.

A Martial Dojo was different from a sect. A sect taught one on the ways of cultivation, from spells, techniques, and arrays all the way to the heavenly Dao and its uncountable paths.

Meanwhile, Dojos taught martial arts of the most varied styles, both to ordinary people and aspiring cultivators. Because martial arts were essential for lots of techniques, they are fundamental for anyone aiming to raise in the world.

Right now, what Yueshi lacked the most was a foundation. His cultivation had shot through the roof in a single night, but he had never been taught fighting techniques before. That was why he needed to find a good teacher, even if for just a week.

'There is the Dragon Spear Dojo, Myriad Swords Dojo, and the Flying Snow Dojo…' In the end, those three dojos were the best of the best in the dozen or so that existed in the city. 'The first two are operated by the Feng and Xiao families, respectively. The latter is as old as the city, and has a close relationship to the ruling Ling Family.'

Thinking about the first two, Yueshi wrinkled his nose and shook his head. Those two were focused in very specific arts, and in their own domains they were even better than the Flying Snow Dojo, but…

'The pricks from the two big families often cause trouble to the common folk, particularly so to those that showcase decent martial talent.'

He was sure that if he went there he'd end in a fight, and he did not want to offend more people right now. He did not want to implicate Xuehua again, so he would not foolishly go somewhere where he was not welcome.

Above all, their superiority wasn't absolute, and just because they widely acknowledge by their specializations, Yueshi was sure the even more famous Flying Snow Dojo had a lot to offer.

Having made his decision, he immediately made his way toward the Flying Snow Dojo.

I do believe that this one will be quite controversial. All I can say that time shall guide us through everything... does that sounds like a spoiler? '3'

35