14. The Chosen Path (III)
1.4k 4 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the end, despite only being treated like a punching bag, Yueshi had earned the praise of his instructor.

'He really is a newcomer to martial arts…' That was the most surprising thing for Mu Qiang.

The man had thought that, as someone in the third stage, he must have come in contact with martial arts previously. But Yueshi had not been lying when he said he never did, which surprised the man.

He had paid close attention, so he saw how Yueshi committed many mistakes that not even most newbies would. Even if he had wanted, he would not be able to do so while being attacked – unless he was a martial grandmaster.

That aside, the boy was slowly but surely progressing, even if still lacking a lot. Mu Qiang had to admit that the young man had excellent battle senses and, after making a mistake one or two times, he would not repeat them – learning with each and every experience.

While Yueshi was unaware of the opinion of his instructor, but he also knew he was getting the hang out of it. Even if he could not read his instructor's moves and the spear's path, he could faintly feel where each strike would hit.

Suddenly, his body seemed to wriggle at a fast speed as Mu Qiang's spear pierced right through him. However, the older man was aware that things were not as simple and watched, with a smile, as Yueshi appeared unscratched right next to the spearhead.

Despite being separated from the gleaming spearhead by only a millimeter, Yueshi stood there fearlessly. His then eyes glowed with a vigorous light as he moved and thrust forward with his left hand.

With a humming, his palm was like a spearhead as it released a blast of air forward that made Mu Qiang's hair fly. However, the force of the wind was nowhere strong enough to make him retreat, his firm stance remaining the same all along.

Still, the blast Yueshi released – airwaves compressed into a single point of extremity – was proof of Yueshi's growth through this training session.

"Good!" For the first time, the older man praised Yueshi aloud. A smile formed on his lips as he continued to say, "do not forget what you felt today, for this feeling will guide your forward on the path of the spear!" Just like that, he went out of the training room, leaving Yueshi lost in his thoughts.

It was only when the sound of the door closing echoed that Yueshi took notice of his instructor's absence. Nonetheless, his last words were still engraved in his brain, and as he went through it, he bowed toward the direction the man left.

"I will not ever forget this feeling…" He promised himself as he smiled slightly.

At that moment when had thrust with his palm, there was just a single desire in his heart – the desire to carve a path forward that would lead him straight to his objective!

It was a wondrous feeling he had never felt before, but it was so vivid and strong that it was hard to contain it.

With a sigh, he breathed in and out to calm himself. To carve a path forward he would need to take a step at a time, and there were many things he still had to do.

Nonetheless, the gears were set into motion, and they would not stop anymore soon. Yueshi felt deeply moved by the spear, and was decided to carve a path that would belong solely to him and lead him to the apex!

--- - -

Yueshi's training session seemed to last just a short while, but the truth was that hours were spent just like that. When he managed to make his way back home, the sun was already leaving the sky and the moon was showing up on the horizon.

Just as he made a turn to enter the street his home was located at, his eyes went wide in horror.

From far away, he could see his house. However, what shocked him to the core was, obviously, not that, but the fact that the front door was completely broken!

For a short while, his brain went completely blank, but, soon enough, started to theorize the worst hypotheses.

With his heart throbbing and mind overthinking, he ran as fast as he could – fear and despair clouding his mind at the thought of something having happened to Xuehua.

Thankfully, the second he stepped inside of the house he caught sight of his sister sitting by the table. Her expression was one of utter disbelief as she stared at her hands.

"What is going on?" Hearing Yueshi's question, the girl turned toward him.

In the instant she took to look over, her expression became calm again – through her eyes still betrayed her doubt.

"The door was not opening, so I tried to rough it up a bit, but…" She stopped for a moment, "it just broke down". Seeing her like that, Yueshi wanted to smirk, but, in the end, held himself back. He knew she was a little flustered right now, probably thinking about the precious money that they would have to spend to repair the door.

"It is strange, indeed. Maybe big sister has become stronger overnight?" Yueshi commented, thinking she should have gone through the same changes as him.

Because he had been worrying about other subjects, he had forgotten to check with her earlier, now, things were like this.

Xuehua nodded slowly as if thinking about something else.

"Then… why don't you try to cultivate? Who knows, maybe you even opened your meridians accidentally." He wanted to help her reach the answer, but was afraid of bringing to light the true reason… he was truly a bastard.

Seeing her nod again, he sighed in relief. Then, he watched as the gentle girl closed her eyes and tried to cultivate, shock spreading through her face soon after.

Remarking that she looked beautiful even when astounded, Yueshi concluded he was a lost cause by now.

Shaking those thoughts aside, he had an idea. "Big sister, I have something I must confess…" Seeing her snap her eyes open and turn toward him, he choked slightly.

Then, getting his composure back, he went on, "the truth is that I have been cultivating in secret!" He almost choked on his words when he felt what seemed like a fierce glare being directed toward him.

At the same time, he told himself it was just a white lie, that his intentions were good – although he didn't fully believe in that. He also made a mental note to himself – to see if she was willing to join the examination together with him. After all, wouldn't it be nice to join the sect together?

"What did I say about cultivating?" Looking at him, Xuehua sighed.

Yueshi could clearly hear the worry and helplessness in her voice and scratched his head with a guilty conscience. Because of that, he did not argue back and just stood there with his head down.

It wasn't after long that the girl released another sigh and told him to sit down and wait as she prepared something for them to eat. Yueshi would never allow her to do all the work alone, so he immediately got prepared to help.

At first, Xuehua was going to refuse. However, seeing him seriously wanting to help, and seeing a happy smile on his face, she ended letting him do as he pleased.

Yueshi noted, however, that something was different from when he first arrived here.

Back then, there was a harmonious atmosphere around them, but now, there seemed to be something more. Was it because he couldn't think of Xuehua merely as his sister anymore? Or was it just because they both were out of sorts, even if for different reasons?

However, even if he was bothered by the minute changes that were taking place, time continued to pass.

Xuehua seemed extremely confused about what was going on, so their chat did not last long after their meal and, eventually, they both retired themselves to their beds.

That night, Yueshi did not dream of anything in particular. Instead, in a completely dark space, there was only him holding a spear and furiously training.

--- - -

The next day, after convincing Xuehua that she should rest for a few more days and get used to her new strength, Yueshi promptly departed to the dojo.

Once he went inside he immediately caught sight of his instructor, he was standing together with Yuanqi and the other martial masters.

Other than them, there was an unfamiliar face, a young lady with dark brown hair that did not seem that much older than him. However, it was neither her hair nor his charming features that caught his attention, but her blazing eyes that were filled with spirit and vitality.

Noticing his arrival, his mentor beckoned him over. He had been wearing a weary expression and seeing Yueshi made his eyes brighten for an instant.

After a short round of introductions, Yueshi confirmed that the other adults were indeed instructors in this place. Meanwhile, the brown-haired young lady was Yuanqi's head disciple and the dojo's greatest fighter - Yuan Yue.

Ultimately, the other martial experts left to do their own things. Leaving Yueshi, his instructor, and Yuanqi and his disciple behind.

For the first time, Yueshi took a proper glance at the head instructor's disciple… and noted they had a strong resemblance. It was not about their facial lines or body characteristics, but, instead, their eyes - they shared an uncanny similarity.

"If you ever have any trouble, you can call this big sister here~" With a smug grin, Yuan Yue patted him on the shoulder.

Yueshi rolled his eyes in a joking manner. Honestly? The young girl seemed to have quite a pleasant personality, and he could see Yuanqi shaking his head at her antics and behavior.

"Don't mind her. Her carefree nature has caused no short amount of trouble so far." Yuanqi said while hitting her head weakly.

"That aside, Uncle Qiang has been bragging about your talents since earlier…" Before her words could make Yueshi content, he caught sight of her glowing eyes - they looked like the eyes of a beast watching its prey. "So I hope can spar with you a few times."

"Well," Yueshi, too, was not one to cower, "you are the Head Instructor's personal disciple, so I expect much from you, too." That pride hidden in his bones made him growl defiantly.

Seeing the two of them behave like that, Yuanqi and Mu Qiang exchanged glances and shook their heads. A moment later, both adult men were dragging their respective disciples away, making them complain loudly.

After being dragged to the training room on the second floor, Yueshi stood a few meters apart from Mu Qiang. Both of them wilded a bamboo spear with a blunted end and stood in combat stance.

"I want to see what you can do", was what his mentor told Yueshi when they went inside. Therefore, he had decided to do his best.

Yueshi was aware that the man was satisfied with his progress, he could read it in his tone, but he also knew that if he performed particularly well today, he'd be learning more difficult and complex martial arts and combat methods.

Taking two firm steps forward, Yueshi thrust forward with his spear. The speed and power behind his strike were clearly beyond the level of an average human and, as the spear flew forward, it seemed to pierce the air and tear it, making a screeching echo.

Yet…

Lashing out like a whip, Mu Qiang's spear exploded against his and easily deflected Yueshi's attack. The blow had so much power behind it that Yueshi felt his arms grown numb as he staggered backward.

Not saying anything, Yueshi exchanged glances with his mentor before continuing.

Different from yesterday, today Mu Qiang did not tell him anything; their spears clashed against the other's as they both furiously moved around.

Yet, even when Mu Qiang matched his cultivation stage to Yueshi's, he still got the upper hand in every confrontation.

That did not discourage Yueshi, though.

He relentlessly thrust his spear forward, and with each strike, it became sharper, faster, and heavier.

An observer would be able to see his spear becoming a phantom as it flashed forward. At times, it was like it multiplied itself as it sent blasts of air through the enclosed space. Yet, with steady steps, Mu Qiang dodged everything easily.

'No, it is not like this.' Yueshi berated himself.

Right now, what he was pursuing was not speed. As he took note of that, the spear phantoms disappeared.

'What I must pursue is a thrust that will open a path leading to my goal!'

If you have not noticed, I suck at making cliffhangers. I hope to one day be like those authors that leave their readers standing on their toes, curious and anxious about what is going to happen next. On a different note, tomorrow there will be four releases (at 07:00, 12:00, 17:00 and 21:00 - Eastern Time, USA), so see you tomorrow~(x4)! And, if nothing wrong happens, the smut filler will be out Thursday! Bye, '3'~♥.

32