36. Strife (III)
645 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As they continued to hunt, the sun eventually started to set over the horizon.

And since it would soon be too dark to hunt, they all chose to make their way back. Their training today had been fruitful and they were slowly adapting to each other’s fighting pace, properly learning how to cooperate.

They were still a bit rough around the edges, but, if everything ended well, they would have no problems when the beast horde arrived.

Since they were sleeping at a few villagers' houses, everyone made their way to their own sleeping grounds.

Yueshi could not help but laugh when he saw Jiang Yao kick Bei Lao’s butt when she found out they would be staying together – as if it had been his plan from the start, though he had done nothing at all.

When he found out he would be staying with his sister, he secretly made a thumbs up to Mu Baiyun.

“Hello, children, how are you two?” As they knocked on the door, an old granny welcomed them.

“We are well, granny. Hope we are not bothering you.” However, at Yueshi words, the old woman shook her head.

"Not bothering, not bothering." She smiled gently. "It has been only me since the old man passed away, so it is good to have a few guests over." She motioned for them to sit by the table.

“Doesn’t granny have any children?” Yueshi looked around; the house was fairly small, though bigger than his and Xuehua’s back at the city.

“My daughter has married and left for a big city and my son has joined the military. They did not want to live in such a small and dangerous place like this village.” Yueshi felt someone pinch his arm, and he didn’t even need to look to know what message she wanted to relay.

"Well, then, granny, let us cook you a sumptuous meal." Seeing the sad look in the old lady's eyes, Yueshi changed the subject just as his sister wanted.

The woman seemed a bit startled, but, soon, smiled at his proposition. She refused at first, but after Yueshi insisted for a moment she ended accepting – though the one that cooked most of the things was Xuehua, as Yueshi only knew the basics.

After chatting a bit more during and after the meal, the old woman led them to where they would be sleeping, and, to their surprise, they would be staying in the same room… in a single bed.

However, while Yueshi seemed a bit awkward, Xuehua looked okay with that...

"What is it?" Xuehua tilted her head, clearly confused with his awkward expression. "Are you thinking you are too big to sleep with your big sister?" Smiling slightly, she teased him.

“As if.” Muttering, Yueshi made his way to the bed, lying by her side. “Then, good night!” He then immediately closed his eyes while trying to keep his impure thoughts away.

"Hm, good night to you as well," Xuehua spoke in a soft voice, falling asleep soon after.

Maybe she was just tired, maybe she saw no problem in them sleeping together, maybe… well, it doesn't really matter, he concluded.

When he was sure she was already asleep, Yueshi turned to face her.

Her face was extremely close to his, and he could feel her warm breath. A few strands of her hair had fallen over her face, and as he looked at her peaceful countenance, his heart seemed to calm down.

“Rest well.” With a caring smile adorning his face, Yueshi turned to the side again. That night, he did not have perverted, wet dreams. That night he dreamed of a happy little life - of a lifetime by her side.

--- - -

When he awoke the next morning, Yueshi found Xuehua had already gotten up - which wasn't surprising at all.

Leaving the room he saw the old granny knitting with Xuehua sitting by her side with a serious face. Leaning against the door frame, Yueshi watched it gleefully.

‘She doesn’t look this serious even when training and cultivating.’ Yueshi had to admit this was a new side of her he had not seen before, and he liked it.

After a while, the two seemed to finally notice him.

"Oh, you are awake already!" The old lady exclaimed, rising from her rocking chair. "I will go prepare something for you two to eat."

Xuehua immediately said she would help, and Yueshi watched as the two disappeared from his vision, entering the kitchen.

Peaceful times like this were almost like a blessing, he thought. By now, he was already aware that the one was much more chaotic than what he had experienced so far.

'However, I will protect this peace with everything I have!' That was why he was seeking strength, after all. To protect everything he held dear, to not let others trample on those he cared about.

While he was lost in his thoughts, the two women came back and set the table. Yueshi enjoyed the small talk as he talked with the old lady about a lot of things.

He never met his grandmother back on Earth, so he wondered if this was how it felt like to have one.

After eating, the two then bade farewell and left to meet the others.

On their way, they noticed that in a single day the village had greatly changed. The wooden walls had disappeared, and big and sturdy earthen walls had replaced them – probably the work of disciples that cultivated techniques of the earth element.

Moreover, some disciples that knew how to forge weapons had prepared a few of them and given them to the villagers.

They were nothing great, the lowest of the low to be honest, however, to those unarmed villagers, it could change their fate at the decisive moment.

After all, while they would not be fighting, some beasts could break in through the defenses.

Yueshi even noticed that the first wall was not the only one and that people were building another one – as if wanting to build a few layers of defensive measures around the village.

The ditch around the wooden walls had also been modified, and now it was placed between the two new walls – it was also deeper and had many sharp stakes at the end.

Seeing such things, Yueshi had to admit he had not thought about doing something similar. Moreover, with those new walls, defending would become easier and the chances of the village and its residents being attacked would decrease.

After everyone met, they immediately left for the forest.

However, before going, Yueshi decided to leave behind those that could help to fortify the defenses, not because they were a burden, but because he noticed that they could do much more to help the village instead of just fighting blindly.

"I know everyone wants to fight and get stronger, but we can't forget our priority in this mission." His words rang loud and clear as he announced it. "Those that can help strengthen the defenses please stay behind to help with it. As you should know, you will also be rewarded by it."

In the shadows, the sect protectors were watching everything and they would be the ones evaluating their contributions in protecting the town.

Therefore, even such actions of building defensive measures and mechanisms were being evaluated and would be rewarded.

Seven of them remained behind because of this choice, amongst them Xiao Yao.

He was an apprentice alchemist and poison maker, after all. The young man was not suitable for combat or exploring the forest. No, he could contribute much more if he stayed behind.

“You can rest assured. I will prepare a few poison bombs and healing pills while you all are gone.” He assured them before leaving.

Although his poison would have a limited effect on the stronger beasts, he knew it was enough to cause great harm to most fierce beasts and low-level demon beasts in the horde.

Yueshi even shuddered at the thought of the poisonous smoke bloating the sky, killing hundreds of fierce beasts in an instant.

Xiao Yao, however, seemed thrilled at the thought, giving a malicious and devilish smile that fitted his pale and sick complexion.

Compared to yesterday, Yueshi’s group coordination was fairly better, and although they were still lacking, they did not repeat a single mistake.

And, as they started to build trust, it became far easier to take down enemies they had struggled against during the previous day.

Moreover, as they learned more about each other's abilities, qualities, and flaws in combat, they started to put to use their cultivation techniques.

And while the newcomers had one or two, at best, those that had been in the sect for a while – Bai Lao’s group – knew three to four.

Swords of light flashed from time to time, while at others fire blasts knocked one creature or two back. There were also some eye-catching ones, like Jiang Yao's ten thousand arrows.

Even if the name exaggerated a bit, seeing a dozen arrows flying in different directions, leaving an azure trail behind them, was astounding and beautiful.

However, just as they were fighting against a group of lizard-like creatures, the situation suddenly changed.

The screeching sound of the air was the prelude of a rain of arrows that few down in almost endless waves.

The defense legion tried their best, but even still, quite a few people were hurt by the attack. After all, they had a limited amount of people, and the suddenness of the attack made it hard to react.

Fortunately for them, the arrow rain did not catch only them by surprise, but the giant lizards too. Because of that most of them were grievously injured or killed in the process.

“Who is it? Do you dare to show your face?” The first to speak was Baiyun, his roar echoing into the distance.

“Haha, and why would I not dare?” The other side laughed as a few people walked out of the bushes that were a hundred or so meters away.

A lot of them were holding onto bows, however, each of them had another weapon strapped to their backs or sheathed in their waists.

Yueshi's eyes grew cold seeing those people. He was not sure of who they were, and he did not want to know. Since they already made a move against him and his group, their identity was meaningless now.

"Don't blame us. Blame your leader for challenging the Heavens' Will." In front of the foreign group, a man stood laughing. His eyes scanned each and every one of them with a sharp light.

At his words, the group immediately understood what was happening.

However, no one blamed Yueshi. After all, they joined the association because of his actions, and they were well aware that the Heavens' Will would make a move against them eventually.

“Are you not afraid of the protectors punishing you?” This time it was Bei Lao speaking.

“Bei Lao, Bei Lao… you should be aware of the rules by now.” The young man sent him a disdainful glance. “We may not be able to kill you, but who said we can’t break a few bones? Who said we can’t cut a few fingers?”

Hearing his words the cold light on Yueshi’s eyes became even more chilling. He had heard enough already. Glancing at his friends and companions, he sighed.

He would never regret his choice, but he also couldn’t implicate his friends.

"Sister, take those at the second stage and lower and bring them back." His voice was soft and calm, yet, carried a chilling coldness in it. "The ones at the third stage willing to fight alongside me… I can only thank you from the bottom of my heart!"

At his words, everyone glanced at him. Those from his side felt grateful and moved; while those at his enemy’s side felt disdain and thought he was foolish.

There were also those extremely worried about him, like Xuehua, Yuan Yue, Wu Feng, and a few others.

Xuehua even wanted to say she would stay and fight, but she knew. She knew that, if she remained behind, Yueshi would not be able to focus and would be in even greater danger.

“Sister Xuehua, rest assured. We will protect Brother Yueshi!” Seeing her worried expression, Qing Yuyi spoke. They were merely at the second stage; however, there was no way they would leave.

Xuehua nodded, though her worry did not fade.

Seeing her bring a few people, the young man leading the Heavens' Will wanted to send a few of his men to pursue. However, if they had to avoid the ones staying back they would lose too much time, and would not be able to catch up.

“I will let those little things go, for now.” Muttering to himself, he glanced back at Yueshi.

In that group the only talented one was Xuehua, so he would not give up the chance to bring down Yueshi and the other talents just because of her.

Immediately after, the two sides stepped forward, prepared to fight. The only archer in Yueshi’s side was Jiang Yao, so she was the only one that could fight from far away; on the other side, most threw their bows to the side, as they did not know any bow technique.

Like that, thirty or so men marched forward from one side, while a little less than ten lunged forward from the other.

Hey, the poll is here! Honestly, I am a bit afraid of making a poll, since it would be really awkward if no one voted. But I am trying to fight back my anxiety and fears, so here it is!

And here is the clash between the baddies and Yueshi's group. It's hard to comment on it without giving any spoilers... but suffices to say that, when I wrote this, I thought that I wanted it be different from your usual Xuanhuan trope.

Well, I hope you have enjoyed and, if you did, add the story to your reading list!

And please do come tomorrow for more! Bye, bye! '3'~♥

17