46. Beast Horde (III)
443 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the first wave of attack, other flasks and pellets were thrown out, decreasing their numbers further still. Then, not long after, many people jumped out of the wall, preparing to face the horde head-on.

As cultivators, they were stronger than normal humans and had all sorts of mystical techniques, so they were not at a disadvantage.

Particularly so because a large number of demon beasts made it hard for them to properly exhibit their strengths.

Amongst the group that jumped to the ground was Yueshi's attack squad, composed of forty or so people. Twenty-three of them were in the sword legion, while seventeen belonged to the shield legion.

There was also another twenty or so in the support squad staying above the walls – and some of them had already started releasing arrows or other sorts of attacks upon the enemy.

After training together they had, more or less, got the hang of how to work together.

There was around one defender assigned to each attacker, with Yueshi and Tian Tian not receiving one, and Baiyun being responsible for more than a single one.

After all, as their leaders, they had to be role models.

“Kill them all!” In such a situation a long speech was not necessary, and Yueshi words were enough to make the others cheer in response.

“Kill! Kill! Kill!” Their voice rippled across the battlefield, echoing with endless killing intent.

The forty people were prepared to stack everything and kill any beasts that dared to approach them – they were going to teach those bastards to never leave their forest!

With Yueshi and Ling Tian Tian taking the lead. they stepped forward, rushing toward the endless river of beasts.

From their sides, green pellets flew in as Xiao Yao fiendishly smiled seeing his poison kill a few demon beasts and fierce beasts. The people from the Rising Phoenix Association didn’t stay behind too, marching by their side.

When the two sides clashed, there was no explosion or anything of the sort, only the sound of meat and flesh being torn apart by blades or claws and teeth.

From both sides, people were taken down in the initial confront, however, the disciples’ side soon started to slaughterer without losing anyone, as they were far stronger.

The stronger beasts were always at the back of the wave, making the ones at the front – those at the first stage or fierce beasts – easy prey to the disciples at the second, third, or even fourth stage.

Only the newcomers would suffer against them, though most could take care of a few of them all on their own.

People like Yueshi, though, would only need a swipe of his spear to split the head of three to four beasts. Tian Tian also wasn’t that different and, with a slash of her sword, half a dozen heads were sent rolling.

They were unafraid, courageous, and strong – they could easily tear apart the weaker ones and were merely waiting for the true trial while supporting their teammates.

The Soaring Dragon Association's training exercises also proved effective; as the sword and shield legions fought together, the number of injuries they received were lesser and smaller than those fighting alone.

Because of the characteristics of this battle, each person would need to face three to four beasts, so it was hard to dodge or block all of their attacks while also striking to kill.

It was in situations like this that the shield legion came into play, protecting their comrades.

The sword only had to kill - tearing through flesh, meat, and bones without care; the shield would then protect people from any harm, letting the sword slaughter as it pleased - without any worries or concern!

Suddenly, a few beasts were thrown far away, and before people could react, an enormous rhino creature burst out of the sea of creatures.

It charged with unrivaled power and momentum, knocking anyone on its path far away. Fortunately, most were merely injured, with only a few unlucky people dying after being knocked inside the beast wave.

When people attacked it, they found its hide was as durable and hard as steel, and attacks could not easily pierce through it.

Moreover, when someone stronger was going to go after it, the humongous Blacksteel Rhino would make a ‘u’ turn and go back inside the horde, trampling on other beasts in its path.

Then, it would suddenly spring from another side of the horde and knock more people away, before retreating again.

Yushi even felt that the beast sent them a contemptuous glance, though he was not sure if it wasn’t merely his imagination.

"You take care of this place; I will go deal with it." Yueshi knew that they could not let it run amok, as fewer people meant that their chances of losing would be greater.

At his words, Ling Tian Tian nodded. The area around them was filled with beasts' corpses and carcasses, their cause of death varied - some had their necks cleanly cut off, others had their bodies burst open, some had been split in half and others had holes that traveled from one side of their bodies to the other.

Those at the wall could see where the rhino was moving toward; however, those below the wall could not hear their voices even if they wanted.

Obviously, turning your head and ask for directions from someone else was the same as asking for death as you’d immediately get attacked by a dozen creatures.

Yueshi thought that Xuehua could probably help with that; however, she was focused on rescuing those that were hurt or had been throw away and could not do it now.

That being so, Yueshi looked at the beasts and gave them a murderous grin.

As he ran toward them, he jumped and used a beast below as a springboard - the resulting force making him soar in the air in a somersault.

While he was up there, Yueshi observed the enormous wave and easily caught a glimpse of that big rhino rushing through the current of beasts and then rushing toward their directions once again.

Although the beasts below were already clawing at him, Yueshi did not panic. Just as he was a few meters above ground, a flash of light passed through them, before their heads separated from their bodies.

Yueshi nodded at his helper, Senior Sister Huan from the Rising Phoenix, though he could have dealt with it alone.

Then, just as he stepped on the ground, he jumped forward with all his power, lunging toward where the Blacksteel Rhino was aiming at – a region with a few weak, first-stage disciples.

once again the creature emerged from the river of beasts with a thunderous bang - its red eyes flashing deviously.

Beasts and men were knocked aside by its horn as it marched forward. However, suddenly, it turned aside abruptly...

Sparks flew everywhere as a spearhead came into contact with the steel-like horn, the beast's eyes flashing with a dangerous and cruel light.

After coming and going there finally appeared someone to go against it. However, despite being annoyed, it seemed quite confident in winning, its big eyes looking at the human with disdain.

Yueshi only flashed a smile at it, a smile of derision, before thrusting with his spear.

‘Man and spear as one! One point of extremity destroys the firmament of heavens!’ This time, despite not using the dragon seal, the ghost of an azure dragon still briefly coiled around his spear as it traveled forward.

The tip of the spear gleamed with a dangerous light and the faint roar of a dragon echoed in the surrounding region, making the rhino open its eyes wide.

Immediately after, it tried to flee, only to find itself bound in place by a powerful pressure; however, that wasn’t the worst part for it. The momentum behind the spear became bigger and bigger...

When the spear hit the Blacksteel Rhino for the second time, there were no sparks but only a loud, reverberating explosion.

The disciples around watched in shock as the enormous body of the creature – seven to eight meters long and three to four tall – was throw back a dozen meters in the air.

That wasn’t even the scariest part. As they looked at the body, they noted that not only had its strong thick horn been broken, but half of its body had exploded under the power brought forth by the seemingly endless momentum of the spear!

While the disciples send him awe-filled glances, Yueshi retreated, wishing to go regroup. He did not bother with the other disciples, knowing they would soon focus on the horde again and forget about him.

One thing to note, and one thing those disciples did not notice, was that the power behind Yueshi’s spear not only threw the gigantic body of the beast back.

Instead, after destroying half of its body, the momentum of the spear created a powerful, invisible wave of energy and blasted it forward, blasting a few other beasts into smithereens.

The blood-soaked path is formed, however, was soon covered by more creatures.

--- - -

Flash of light in all sorts of colors would appear from time to time; arrows that dived themselves in ten, boulders that flew in the sky before smashing against the beasts, or sword lights that traveled a hundred meters, cutting anything on their path…

All in all, all sorts of techniques were used as the disciples defended the village in a flashy way.

Despite being pushed back as time passed, they were slowly decreasing the number of beasts in the horde.

Thanks to that, they not only slowed their onslaught but, now, the spots left behind by dead beasts would not be immediately covered by another.

But things were only starting.

As they continued to kill, the beasts appearing started to become stronger. By the time Xiao Yao had thrown in all his poison bombs, there was almost no fierce beast anymore.

And the remaining ones all turned into minced meat as beasts at the second stage started to show up.

Based on what they knew, Yueshi and the others concluded that the strongest beast in the horde should be at the fourth or fifth stage.

That was because the strongest people sent here were at the late phase of the fourth stage, and together, they should be able to deal, at most, with a fifth stage beast. After all, the fifth layer was a dividing line for both men and beasts.

If there were stronger beasts, then the Sect would not just send them here to die under its claws.

People were assigned according to their strength so that they could not only take this chance to earn contribution points, but also train, and that goes for all the disciples.

With that out of the way…

Before, Yueshi and his comrades were occupying a wide area because they could easily cope with the beasts.

However, as the pressure on them increased, they started to fight closer to each other. That way they could share the pressure and the burden, decreasing the number of beasts they had to deal with.

At the same time, their team started to have casualties. Though no one died because they were rescued in time by their support squad, they could not fight anymore and had to go receive treatment.

Things were like that thanks to Xiao Yao's healing pills, or else a few would have died instead of being grievously wounded.

However, anyone fighting this battle had the resolution to lose their lives.

Some for honor and fame;

Others because they wanted to help the village;

And some craved power.

The motive did not really matter, what mattered was that they all had something they wanted and they were willing to put their lives in the line for it. That was their resolution.

When they came here they knew the Sect would not protect them from dying to the beasts, but they still decided to fight when they could have fled or stayed back.

Like this, the battle became fiercer and fiercer by the second. The beasts’ numbers dwindled, and as their average strength increase, disciples went from being able to face three to only being able to face two or one.

That is, obviously, for ordinary disciples.

As time passed the gap between the geniuses and the ordinary disciples became even more evident.

People like Yueshi, Senior Sister Huan, the squad leaders from the Heavens' Will, and so on… they all could easily deal with four, five, or even six beasts in an instant.

Using their own methods, they killed one after the other without stop.

While everyone was focused on their own battles, suddenly, a few mad roars echoed across the sea of enemies. They were powerful and strong roars that made clear the strength of the ones that released them; even the sound waves alone were enough to make the weaker disciples' heads ache in pain.

Yueshi breathed in deeply, knowing that things would get more complicated from now on.

Warning, meaningless rambling ahead.

I feel that I should be focusing more in my studies. Starting in August I must go through internship and I don’t feel that I am ready, that aside, I am very proud to say that I decided on the subject of my thesis — how tabletop Role Playing Games can be used as a tool to stimulate creativity, teach social skills and improve the ability to think abstractly. I have already started reading and researching, and should be starting to write it soon~

That aside, I hope you guys have enjoyed the chapter! Please review, comment or add the story to your reading list if you have not yet!

Bye and see you tomorrow! '3'~♥

14