60. Danger at Every Step (II)
330 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The group rested inside the cave for seven days, not because they desired, but because they needed it.

It was only after a week had passed that everyone was able to heal enough to move once more, though they were still injured and needed treatment.

While they made their way out, the atmosphere in the group was extremely good.

Yueshi and Yuan Yue would frequently chat and walk together, hand in hand – and for Yueshi who had little to no experience with girls, this was a marvelous experience.

The only other hands he held while walking around where his mother's and Xuehua's, however, the situation and the meaning behind such action were different.

As for the matter concerning the little apes, everyone decided that it would be better to keep and train them, raising a few helpers for the future – even more so now that some members were grievously wounded.

Even Yueshi decided to keep the little guy from before for himself. The truth was that Yu Hai and the others wanted to give Yuan Yue and him all the little monkeys, something they vehemently refused.

Talking about the little ape, since it was the smallest of the group, and with a fur darker than his peers, he seemed to be mediocre compared to the others.

However, Yueshi did not care about that, since he was sure he would grow much stronger before the little beast grew up and, therefore, would not need his assistance in combat.

Right now, the baby ape liked to sleep above Yueshi’s head or just lay there motionless; if he was not doing that, then it would suck his fingers as if trying to squeeze milk out of them.

In the end, it grew so attached to him that it would cry whenever Yueshi tried to push it away, or someone else held it in their arms - only Yuan Yue was an exception to that. It was almost like it had chosen them as its parents.

Well, leaving that aside…

Yu Hai took a good look at his surroundings and frowned. "The cold has become even more intense since we left. The snowfall has become heavier too, and it is almost impossible to see more than twenty feet ahead."

Yueshi nodded at his words, and with their scout deeply hurt, it was hard to know if there was any danger in their path.

By now, they already knew something was happening at the depths of the wasteland, which, honestly, made him curious. However, he did not hold any thoughts of going there to see what was happening.

He was sure that even if he knew what was going on, and even if he made his way there, he would only be throwing his life away.

After all, something that could change the weather of an entire region was not something he could obtain right now - even if he was the luckiest man in the world, it would be of no use.

“Why don’t we try to find a cave and settle in for now?” Yuanming suggested, with the current weather it would be dangerous and reckless the continue.

However, the group was not too willing to do that.

They had already spent some time going to the Frostbite Ape's territory, and there was also the time they had spent recovering. Because of that, most people in the group were anxious, despite acting calm.

The more time passed, the lesser their chances of helping their other comrade, and who knew what could happen in the meantime?

Still, they recognized that Yuanming’s suggestion was the most logical one.

“Why don’t we separate in two groups, then?” Seeing everyone hesitating, Yueshi spoke his own opinion. “Two or three in good condition return to settle the task, while the rest remain behind.”

There were a few members that could fight already, however, for obvious reasons, not all of them could leave. That being so, the group pondered about his suggestion for a moment, before deciding to go with it.

They knew there was some danger in going with that plan; however, this was the only way to calm their hearts.

Soon, they had already decided who would go and who would stay.

Because Yueshi had hurt his internal organs, he could not fight right now as it could open his internal wounds again.

Since that was so, he was left in the group staying behind, and Yuan Yue would also accompany him, since she was still sore and hurt all over.

“We are going to return as fast as we can, with more medicine and help.” Yu Hai declared after they found a cave for them to settle in.

Yueshi wanted to comment that people who said that generally returned too late or never returned, but he decided against it.

“Hm. There is no need to worry about us; we know how to take care of ourselves.” Zhu Xiong assured him together with the others.

The ones going were Yu Hai, Yuanming, and another member, Weiqing.

As the second strongest in the group, You Ping remained behind to protect the others in the event that something happened, which made him brag endlessly about how great he was – making the others laugh at him.

With You Ping constantly bragging and being shot down by the others, the mood turned better over time.

Yueshi had to admit that this loud and talkative man knew how to improve the mood and make everyone relax through laughter and smiles.

What they did not expect, however, was that they seemed to have earned heaven's wrath and that danger would fall upon them once again.

— - -

As the strongest person and the most able-bodied person around, You Ping took the role of their scout - becoming responsible for patrolling the region and making sure to keep demon beasts at bay.

He was also the one always bringing wood back to keep the fire burning, and fresh meat for them to eat and restore their energies.

While one could keep rations inside of a dimensional storage, they would still rot overtime. Only those high-end products could keep the food fresh for months, or even years – and such an item was not something a group like theirs could have.

Not even Yueshi and Yuan Yue were able to obtain it since the smallest of the storages with such function was priced at a whopping twenty thousand contribution points in the sect.

As newcomers, that was not an amount that was easy to acquire and, above all, if they had so many points they'd rather spend it on increasing their power and visiting the training grounds.

That aside, You Ping never left alone. It was important to have someone with him if something happened, that way the other person could go notify the rest of the group as fast as possible.

And the decision of bringing someone to be a messenger proved itself right three days after Yu Hai and the other two left.

The Frozen Wasteland was vast, and there were many hills, mountains, rivers that painted a charming, but deadly, landscape.

Right now, on one of such landscapes, a canyon, You Ping was standing hidden while softly speaking with another member of the group – Liu Bai.

“You go notify the others, and then report to me their decision on the matter.” You Ping who was usually boisterous, and always carried a smile on his face, spoke seriously for the first time.

Liu Bai nodded before retreating with silent steps. The speed at which he moved was commendable, and despite being only at the third stage he could compare with someone at the fourth.

Not paying him any more attention, You Ping sneaked forward slowly, gazing at something far away. The gorge had steep rocky sides, with only a narrow pathway through the hillside.

You Ping was sure that the pathway was not safe, and that fighting above it could lead to if falling apart. And the fall… while it would not absolutely kill, it would lead to some grievous injury.

In the center of the canyon, many trees were growing tall and strong, and he could even see a large pond, frozen by the cold climate.

Some beasts moved slowly over there, but this was not what worried him; following the tenuous pathway, in a safer location, a bonfire burned bright.

Boisterous voices came from that direction, and the light of the fire made their shadows clear amongst the stone walls of the gorge.

You Ping was not sure of how many there were right now, yet, he knew they were up to no good; just a while before he had heard screams of both males and females, pleading for help and mercy.

‘They probably are thieves or something of the sort.’ If they were just a weak group, then everything would be okay, otherwise… he massaged his head, feeling it throb.

There was also the possibility his group would not be found out, though it was better to act with caution than be sorry later on.

Rubbing his hands together, he blew warm air from his lungs on them – then, he waited there for some time, taking care to not be noticed. At the same time, he did his best to find how many people composed the enemy group.

Soon, Liu Bai returned and You Ping decided to leave for now.

Even if they wanted to deal with that group, they would have to prepare. However, he had to admit he was worried. After all, his group was pretty much crippled right now and chances were that the enemy was the stronger side.

And one of his fears soon became reality.

— - -

Just as Yueshi awoke one morning, he caught sight of You Ping and Zhu Xiong standing to one side with frowns on their faces.

They were the second and third in command of the group, so it was not rare that they would decide things together.

“Did something happen?” Approaching slowly as to not let his wounds open, Yueshi asked.

The two looked at him and sighed. “The group from before… it seems they have found us.” At the older man’s words, Yueshi’s eyes opened wide. “They tried to cover their tracks; however, our Xiong here still discovered them.”

“Hm. They came through the woods and stayed there for some time, they should have left just before the sun appeared.” Zhu Xiong’s voice was dreary as she spoke, and it was easy to understand what she was thinking.

There were only eight people here right now, one of them did not have an arm and another was blind.

Yueshi had suffered internal injuries and could not fight properly, and Yuan Yue had wounds all over her body - some bone-deep.

As for the others, everyone had wounds to a certain degree - ranging from serious to light.

All in all, they had three people that could fight properly. One of them was You Ping, the other was Liu Bai and the last was the other woman in the group Hu Liangshi – Hu Peng’s twin sister.

"Even if we set traps, chances are that we will not be able to defend against them." You Ping started to pace from one side to another, anxious and worried, while murmuring 'what do I do, what do I do', continuously.

They could try fleeing, but if they ended encountering demon beasts or other dangers, it would be a great threat to them too.

Moreover, if they left, Yu Hai and the others would not be able to find them when they came back and could end chancing upon the enemy group, too.

“Then, our only choice is to attack them while they are not prepared.” Yueshi tone was soft, almost a mutter, but his eyes glowed with sharpness.

‘If we lose…’ Just imagining what would happen to the group, and above all Yuan Yue, made Yueshi’s eyes glow coldly.

You Ping and Zhu Xiong exchanged glances and, after a while, they both nodded.

Obviously, they would not foolishly rush in, and would settle a few things first and foremost – however, they had to do that soon, or else they might be attacked before doing anything.

“We will move the injured out first and decide on our battle plans later. They should not know how many of us there are, so it’s better if we do that fast.” Yueshi was once more impressed with You Ping, and how he could be smart at times.

Yueshi and Zhu Xiong nodded. That way, if they failed, the others would still have some chance – be it returning on their own or waiting for Yu Hai and his group to find them.

With everything settled, the group immediately started to act!

You can now check my Patreon where you can read from 5 to 20 chapters ahead and also check unreleased projects that I worked on (20000-ish words, or that plus other 40000-ish words). If you join now, you can also take a look at my side project: Reincarnated as a Side Character: Who the **** is an Extra? — which features a female protagonist and yuri. It will also get released here by the 20th of April, but the release rate will probably be 1 or 2 chapters per week.

Please check it out if you have the time. Here is the link if you don't feel like clicking the 'tip' button of ScribbleHub: Patreon

That out of the way, see you tomorrow for more! Love you guys! '3'~♥

13