81. New Tides: Changing World (I)
318 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three months passed since the two associations fought, and the inner disciple examination came and went.

The top disciples managed to join the inner sect as expected, and because of the sect rules, Yueshi would not see Fenghuang and Yuanzhi for a while – though they could still exchange letters.

However, leaving those aside, today a meeting was taking place in the core region of the Star Sea Sect – the Sect's Leader resting ground and home.

Inside of an enormous meeting all, three dozen or so people were sitting in a circle in what seemed like thrones made of white marble.

If any disciple was present, just the aura of those men and women would be enough to suffocate them to death.

However, all of those people took on a respectful attitude when a middle-aged man walked through the enormous door leading to this meeting avenue.

With black, long hair and eyes that seemed to shine like the stars, the newcomer looked like a mere mortal as he walked, releasing no pressure or aura whatsoever.

"We all greet the Sect Leader!" As the people sitting knelled down and cupped their hands, their voices thundered inside the hall.

The man nodded at them and motioned for them to sit down again, before sitting on his own seat – built in a more elevated position as to show the superiority of the sect leader when compared with the elders.

"Today, I called you all here to discuss an important matter." The sect leader's voice was nor warm nor cold, and as he gazed at the elders there was absolute calmness in his voice. "Around two months ago there was a disturbance in the depths of the Frozen Wastelands, as you may recall."

At his words, everyone nodded. The great changes in the climate and the strange behavior of the beasts were not things they could easily ignore and so, back then, the sect leader was left alone to investigate.

"One of the wasteland's rulers died because of unknown reasons, and his dead attracted beasts from far and wide." Everyone opened their eyes in shock at such words, staring at their leader in disbelief.

The Frozen Wasteland was a paradise for beasts, and there were a handful of them whose strength was comparable to their Sect Leader, if not stronger.

Such beasts ruled wide territories at the wasteland's depths and rarely left their domains. Meanwhile, their bodies were also treasure troves to both men and demonic creatures.

A beast's accomplishments are closely linked to their bloodline, however, it was not as if there was no way to increase their bloodline strength and purity – one such method was devouring a stronger bloodline.

So it was not strange that all sorts of creatures would vie for it. For small and weak creatures, even a tiny piece of such a monster flesh was enough to change their fates.

"Obviously, the situation also attracted cultivators." The frozen wasteland bordered other regions out of their sect control, after all. . "As a result, many conflicts broke out, and not only beasts died by the hundreds of thousands, but a few human cultivators also left their lives behind."

Speaking until here, a strange light flashed past the man's eyes as he observed everyone preset.

Without exception, every elder was staring at him with shock and disbelief, and also deep curiosity – wondering why was he speaking about this.

"Our sect's territory borders the Flaming Blade's Sect territory; however, their sect leader is unfortunately amongst the ones that have died." When his voice sounded inside the hall, the elders immediately understood where he was going.

A sect needed, after all, resources to keep thriving; and to get resources what they needed, between a few things, was land.

One example was the Star Sea Sect's control over a few countries: they offered them protection and, in return, they paid with goods, items, gold, and other resources.

This was something the sect needed to nurture its disciples and elders.

"According to the rules established by our seniors and ancestors, the land that once belonged to the Flaming Blade's Sect has no owner right now." By now, his words were brimming with coldness and killing intent. "I believe that I don't need to tell you what we must do right now."

Everyone nodded without hesitation. After so many years as cultivators, they had long lost their unwillingness and hesitation to kill. Moreover, there was nothing wrong with it, not in this world of theirs, at least.

No strong sect was built without taking as foundations the lives of tens or hundreds of thousands of enemies.

"As per the rules, no one above the Body Refinement Realm is allowed to interfere and fight." There was no need to say it, still, the sect leader reminded them. "All those under the third stage are obliged to go, those above can choose by themselves."

Then, with a gesture of his hand, most elders disappeared from the hall in the blink of an eye, leaving behind only two people.

One of them was the Great Elder of the Star Sea Sect, and he was also the uncle master of the current sect leader.

The other was the only person without the identity of an elder present at the meeting and one of the sect's protectors as well as the sect's leader only disciple.

"What is it, senior?" In front of his martial uncle, the sect leader was not as arrogant as he was when with the other elders.

"Is there a motive to ask me so? Are you already not aware, Xiao Fei?" With a sigh, the old man spoke, his voice profound and noble.

The sect leader merely grunted, but, it was hard to know if it was because of the words spoken or the endearing title.

After a moment of silence, he finally said something. "It is nothing much, my injury will probably heal in a few years."

His words did not bring any comfort to the old man or his disciple; instead, they became even more worried.

A wound that would take someone like him a few years to heal was hard to imagine – his cultivation base was profound and he had at his disposal many resources, therefore, such a wound was hard to imagine.

"There is no need to worry." 'Xiao Fei' assured them. "As long as no one knows no one will dare to make trouble, be the greedy elders or our enemies."

After hearing him speak such a thing, the other two exchanged glances. One old and one young, both sighed with worry.

It was not just the elders and external enemies that worried them, but his health too. However, since saying any more would be meaningless, they changed subjects.

"Master, I would like to ask for your permission to do something." After chatting for a while, the disciple spoke up.

"Go on, Bingyu." Nodding, the sect leader looked toward his dear disciple.

After so many years together the affection between the two was like that of a parent and their child.

"There is a certain group of talents at the outer court that have not yet been here for a year. I'd like to promote them as soon as possible."

As the Sect Leader and the one to make the ironclad rule, this was something that had to go through him first.

Silence dawned for a while as he pondered about the subject.

That rule had been made for the disciples to understand that acquiring resources is not easy, and for them to experience the lives and side of the less talented ones.

However, it was not as if he could just break it, as that would decrease his prestige among elders and disciples.

"What is so special about them?" However, he was willing to consider.

At his words the Great Elder and Bingyu exchanged glances. Both of them had been interested in those young lads for a while now, and being the one making the request, Bingyu was the first to speak.

--- - -

With the sect's preparations starting, all the countries under it were also affected.

People would talk in the streets about the subject and about the troubled times that were coming, all the while thinking of the slaughter that would happen as the Star Sea Sect tried to conquer more land.

The entire region was sent into a frenzy with people and resources being sent to the bordering region between the two territories.

Small and big conflicts broke out here and there in the borders, creating a blood feud between the two sides that could not be easily overcome.

However, all those were merely the start.

The military forces of the countries under the sect were dispatched and started to conscript those of age and willing to fight.

Thousands upon thousands of normal soldiers, and only god-knows how many practitioners and cultivators joined the army.

Everyone had personal desires - some were there for fame, others for the rewards offered – but they were all prepared to slaughter their way through the enemy lines.

And while the Star Sea Sect was the one to start everything, war has neither right nor wrong.

As the two sides came into conflict time and time again, soon it mattered not who started it, as both sides' hands were so bloodied that they could not live under the same sky.

Like that, peace was thrown aside and war broke out.

Not much later, news spread around that the surrounding regions were also warring against the territory of the Flaming Blade Sect.

Now, it was merely a question about how long they would be able to hold on.

No one expected them to be able to win. With other powers on the same level as the Star Sea Sect fanning the flames and sending their disciples - as well as moving the manpower under them - there was no way to turn things around.

Many believed that this was the fall of the Flaming Blade Sect and that, given a few dozen years, they would become a third-grade power that could not vie for dominance anymore.

Such was life in the Heavenly World. Power was the only thing that could keep someone safe and, oftentimes, the fastest way of improving oneself was plundering from another.

That said, those were mere speculations. Things often are different from what they seem, and little did the world know that this war would be far more complex than what they could imagine.

Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!

This should have come yesterday, and I swear I thought I had scheduled it properly. Apparently, I didn't. But it is such a vivid memory that I think I may have gone crazy '-'.

11