84. New Tides; Changing World (IV)
279 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As if hearing Yueshi’s resolution, the entire world around him started to warp and distort and the illusion trapping him dissipated. His trial here had ended, though he was not sure of his results.

Nonetheless, he was calm and carefree, knowing in his heart that he had made the right decision.

Protector Mo, together with the Great Elder, was standing at the exit of the pathway.

The both of them watched with concerned eyes as one disciple after another was released from the mirage, completing the trial they had gone through.

Some of them had sorrowful expressions, while others were calm and collected. There were also some whose expressions were placid and still as water, but their eyes revealed profound melancholy.

Suddenly, the mist enveloping one of the disciples dissipated, revealing Yueshi.

The Great Elder immediately looked over with eyes of appreciation, nodding unconsciously.

Protector Mo also seemed to have similar thoughts, since her eyes brightened seeing him. This young man had managed to acquire the goodwill of both of them with his results and actions.

The disciples did not know, but the first trial was meant to test their hearts and character, in a way. It did not matter if they were wild, arrogant, overbearing, cold, and aloof.

As long as those people were not the sort that would, without hesitation, ignore those they loved being killed and slaughtered, they would not be sent back.

Abandoning one's dearest people to become stronger was not resolution, it was apathy. Those people were not welcome in the inner sect, as they were the sort that would easily betray those that had once helped them.

After all the disciples were released from the illusions, the seniors looked at the group with calm eyes.

There were a hundred people present, and they were showing all sorts of expressions – however, they could not just give them the time to put their emotions into place.

"The first trial has ended." Protector Mo's pleasant voice echoed, making everyone focus on her. "Next, I will call a few names. Those that are called please take a step forward." Everyone nodded at her words, a few still sniffing and rubbing their eyes with their sleeves.

Protector Mo’s voice was still calm when she started speaking; however, it caused ripples on those youngsters’ hearts every time it echoed.

"Li Tianzhu, Ren Wuxin, Wang Cao…" She continued speaking calmly, calling no more than six names and making a lot of people sigh.

Those that had been called gave a step forward, standing there proudly and with arrogant looks. A few of them sent gazes of disdain toward those that had not been summoned, feeling prideful about the fact they were chosen.

However, not even an instant later, their expressions froze.

"Those that have been called failed the first trial, so make your way back on your own." Her voice was sharper and colder when she directed them the word.

It was not wrong to say that everyone was surprised by her statement, though most of them were excited.

That aside, the six that had been called wore expressions of doubt and confusion, not understanding why things had turned like that.

One had to know the six of them were the first people to get out of the illusion, moreover, they kept a stable heart and great will while walking through the road leading here.

“Protector Mo, I’d like to ask why you are sending us back!” Not being able to hold back anymore – seeing his great chance slipping away – one of them asked with a loud voice.

Then, the same protector that had been quite friendly when they met, looked at him with cold eyes, filled with derision.

“One can be arrogant and overbearing, and commit all sorts of evil. But all that can be pardoned if one at least still knows filial piety.” Her words stopped for a moment, looking at the entire group of six.

"You all not only did not mind when your friends were slaughtered in front of your eyes but, even when your parents were killed, your emotions did not even fluctuate."

Reaching until here, she stood in silence for a moment. Her voice had been rushed, cold and a tad louder than usual.

Now, however, it became placid once more as she managed to calm her mind.

“You care not for your friends, and you are willing to leave behind and ignore your parents. People of such moral character are not welcome in this place.”

What she did not say, however, was that she also had the power to expel them from the sect. The ancestors had long decided that anyone whose heart knew not gratitude, love, and filial piety would not be accepted in the inner court.

Not only that – the elder responsible for administrating the trial also had the power to expel anyone with such an immoral character.

"You, you, you!" The young man was evidently angered by such an accusation, even pointing his finger at her. He had maintained a stable heart and a strong will, and they called him unfilial!

Protector Mo's eyes narrowed a bit. She hated the type of people that did not admit their mistakes, despite being aware of them.

The illusory array did not only show one's greatest fears and nightmares but, also, tested one's moral character and behavior – and its precision had long been confirmed.

In a more precise way, the array was meant to show the death and pain of those that someone loved; since they had none, and cared for none, the illusion had no influence over them.

“That is enough.” Suddenly, a powerful voice echoed, making everyone feel their chests constrict. It was only then that the people noticed the old man next to Protector Mo.

While this was happening, Yueshi watched with calm eyes as things developed.

After the old man spoke everyone became silent, and, a few moments later, the six youngsters were expelled from the sect.

Protector Mo wanted to give out a lighter punishment, however, the old man was adamant about such a choice and she could not do anything about it.

Following that, the two seniors motioned for the group to follow them. Seeing the respectful stance of Protector Mo, Yueshi was nothing but curious about the old man's identity.

However, there were other things he had to concern himself with right now.

“My dear lady, it is hard to move like this.” He spoke with a soft sigh.

In answer, he received merely a small grunt.

The girl hugging his arm with all her strength did not seem to want to let go at any moment now, though. Instead, after grunting, she held him even more firmly, as if afraid he would disappear.

Yueshi could only sigh and pat her head, knowing she was still emotional.

He could sense her shudder as she buried her face in his arm.

Well, although there were many still emotionally unstable, Yueshi was sure that everyone would soon recover - they were, after all, people that had already walked this far.

Honestly, thinking about what he saw there made his heart tremble too. If it wasn't because of all the things he had faced before, back on Earth, he would probably have not been able to recompose himself so fast.

Suddenly, he felt someone tugging at the hem of his sleeves. Looking to the side, he saw Xuehua walking next to him, her tender and small hand grabbing his robe while trembling a bit.

Because she was looking to the side, he could not see her face. Still, it wasn’t hard to imagine what sort of expression was making right now.

With a gentle push of his arm, the hem of his robe slipped away from her trembling fingers.

Xuehua shuddered when she felt him push his arm away; however, a moment later, she relaxed again as his hand grabbed her.

Like that, with one arm comforting Yuan Yue and one hand comforting Xuehua, Yueshi made his way forward.

Those around that had managed to calm down sent him strange glances, however, he did not bother with them, only thinking about how to cheer up the two ladies next to him.

Just like that, time continued to pass by.

Since the elders said nothing, groups started to band together and Yueshi and the others also reunited, walking together toward their goal.

On a side note, Baiyun and Yueli were also like Yueshi, having managed to calm down pretty fast; Yuyi and Tian Tian, on the other hand, were a bit more unstable.

While some would find it surprising, it did not come as so for their group that Tian Tian was so affected. She was usually a bit distant, but when it was about those that were close to her, she was a softie.

Well, she’d hate it if they told her that, though.

As for the tiny devil, she hugged Yueshi from the back while crying.

However, it wasn't just about him, because she had done so with her sister, Tian Tian, and even Baiyun too.

She spent quite a while like that after going to hug the other two girls too.

It seemed that after confirming everyone was well she managed to calm down a little, though she would still sob from time to time while being patted in the head by her sister.

“Ah, I never thought the first trial would be that hellish…” While they were on their way, Baiyun sighed while speaking.

"Same here… just the thought still makes my chest tighten." Yueshi shook his head while smiling awry.

Yueli merely nodded, looking down. Yueshi could feel that she wasn't as calm as she looked and yet, he also could not find the right words to comfort this cool and aloof young woman.

“Yet, this was the easiest trial, apparently.” Saying so, Yueshi looked around. There were still ninety-four people participating in the examination.

"Hm. Usually, only a bit more than ten people manage to pass the examination. So the following tests will eliminate a lot of people." Despite saying that, Baiyun seemed still confident in himself.

Just as Yueshi was going to say something, he saw Baiyun flash him a mischievous grin.

“That aside, boss~ you sure have it nice, huh?” Joking, he looked toward Yuan Yue and Xuehua. “A lady on each arm, aren’t you living every guy’s dream?”

Yueshi could not help but roll his eyes at him. Still, he knew the other young man was trying to lift the mood, so he decided to play along.

"Well, I am this handsome, what can I do?" With a smug grin, he talked back.

His words easily earned him supercilious looks from those walking close by, and even Baiyun rolled his eyes at him, despite starting this joke.

'This guy…' Cursing at him inside, Yueshi felt the urge to punch him in the face.

That aside, their efforts seemed to be effective as Yuan Yue and Xuehua reacted a bit. Even the other three ladies seemed to shot him weird glances.

'Well, whatever…' As long as he could cheer them up a bit, then so be it.

--- - -

The outer court was massive, and the inner court palled in comparison when it came to size. However, it was many times more beautiful and even magical.

Moreover, different from the outer court which had been built on ground level, the inner court was situated atop the mountains.

This particular chain of mountains seemed to have been tailored by the Star Sea Sect as they made a perfect circle with only a single path cutting through them.

This path was the one Yueshi and the others passed through, and it was constructed right next to the mountains. After one walked through it, one would have to climb a long distance to reach the inner court.

In the middle of the circular mountain chain, and to the side of the path, there was a valley with beautiful, verdant green trees and grass.

However, the group could only see its edges, because despite the inner court being smaller than the outer court, the mountain chain still extended far beyond what their eyes could see.

Moreover, there was a lot of fog covering the depths of the valley, giving it a mysterious vibe.

While they were making their way upward Yueshi wondered why they did not use an array to go up there, though he did not voice his doubts.

Maybe this was also some sort of test or trial, he judged. That being said, he decided to appreciate the view for now and wait for whatever was coming.

This should have come out yersterday. I am sorry.

Please check my patreon at: here. You can read from 5 to 20 chapters ahead. That, and please check my other project - Reincarnated as a Side Character: Who the **** is an Extra. If you can, please support the story by reviewing, commenting, and adding it to your reading list!CN2JUke.png

9