8 – Interlude I: Ashes
52 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aurelia was confused.

 

She was looking at the trap she had set the night before, aware that something was watching her and her party. She didn’t tell them, of course, lest the creature understand speech and notice what she had set for it.

 

But alas, it had escaped. She was confused not because of that, but by the marks the creature left when it had escaped, by burning the ropes in the trap. 

 

No monsters in the dungeon forest used fire, she knew that. But that was not the most unusual thing, after all, this dungeon had been blocked for over a century, so something could have happened. That a beast that used fire had appeared, evolved or not. It was the remnants that the fire had left, the ashes of the ropes that caught her attention, and the origin of her confusion. 

 

The ashes were black and white, the second colour shining, distincting itself from the surroundings. It wasn’t a normal fire that had burnt the trap, she decided, then sighed.

 

“I really don’t know what to do about this… I’ll just call Auburn, she knows these kinds of things more than I.” She spoke aloud to herself, resolute, and returned to her camp. 

 

As she walked, she tried to notice more details of the being that had set her trap off, finding faint trails towards a bush near her camp. She walked to it, searching for more clues about what the creature could be. She found the same strange ash from before, but nothing was burnt close to the bush. 

 

‘Odd’ she thought. The creature was hidden in that position, she noticed. But, for how long, she didn’t know. From noticing the gaze of something on her and her group, to planting a trap to the things, she never knew what it was, her perception not enough to know.

 

She sighed, and walked to the camp, without interruptions. 

 

Her two companions were there, Auburn, the human mage, and Ash, the elven knight. Auburn wrote in her notebook, taking notes on the dungeon from the point they entered and found this place. Ash was napping oddly tired even after sleeping the night before.

 

Auburn noticed her presence and spoke to her.

 

“So, what happened?” She says with unrestrained curiosity. 

 

“Something set off my trap, and I’m not sure on what it is” Aurelia responded with a concerned tone. 

 

“What is that you don’t know?” She asked back, confused that their party’s ranger couldn’t identify a beast. 

 

“It burned my traps, and the ash that it had left isn’t normal.” She explained to the mage. 

 

“Asking for my help then? Sure!” She fumbled through her backpack while she talked, searching for a certain book.

 

“Bestiary,... Elements… Ok, here” She found the book and got up from her seat, picking her staff where it rested. “So, where to?” She asked, eager to see something new in the monotone forest.

 

Aurelia motions to the place where the trap was burned, and walked with Auburn there, the ropes had stayed in the same state as before, scorched and cut.

 

Auburn noticed the remnants of the rope first, and the ashes there second, and analyzed them with her ability [Mana Sense]. 

 

“Fire and Stellar, it seems” she spoke quickly, and checked her bestiary. “Fire… and stellar...  Nothing. Huh.” She spoke aloud, with a disappointed expression. 

 

“Nothing, then?” Aurelia asked, confused.

 

“Yep! No records or anything of a creature that can use both of these here, at all. Maybe a unique creature? Recently evolved?” She shrugged. “Who knows.” She kneeled to the ground, close to the ashes, and spoke mystic words.

 

“[Find Origin]” her words evoked an arrow made of pure mana, however, after only a few seconds, it dispersed itself naturally, its purpose not done.

 

“Not even that?” Aurelia spoke after seeing the scene, her worries having been true.

 

“Nope, not even that could find what it was. Maybe keeping an eye out for this creature while we explore this place is going to be better, maybe” She spoke rapidly, and continued. “Or perhaps we will find it here.” she finished, and looked through her spatial pack, searching for a bottle to store the ashes in.

 

“Mhn, I’ll do that, then. I know what the sensation felt when it looked at us, so I’ll know when we find it.” Aurelia decided and watched as Auburn collected the ashes and placed them in a container.

 

“And, done!” The mage exclaimed, excited to have a new source of study. 

 

“Let’s go then, we still need to wake up Ash.” The ranger told the mage, and beckoned her to follow her to their camp. The mage nods, and they both go towards the camp again. 

 

Ash was still sleeping, his breath calm and rhythmic. Their campfire had already long extinguished, the air in the morning not too cold to need it again. 

 

They both made way to the camp, packed their things, and woke up Ash, who just opened his eyes, blinked and yawned. 

 

“Hey, come on, we gotta go. We won’t finish this dungeon otherwise, Ash” Aurelia spoke, while adjusting her boots. 

 

Ash was confused for only a second, then nodded and packed the few things he had, picking his sword and shield.

 

And so they set off, towards the boss of that place. 

...

 

Aurelia knocked an arrow to her bow, and aimed the tip towards the beast in her vision. She shot the arrow, and it flew towards its target, striking true and slaying the beast.

 

She lowered her bow, turned her back to the dead monster, and continued her journey. They had been on the search for the boss arena for at least two days, as she killed all the beasts on their way. It was easy, their levels being quite high for that dungeon, and their abilities suited for it. After all, they had been chosen by their guild to explore this dungeon.

 

They walked through the monochromatic scenery, going through vegetation to reach the place, the arena of the boss. The records they received for the quest reported that each instance of the dungeon had the same sequence, and so the information only serves as reference.

 

“Are we near?” Asked Auburn while she examined the flora of that place. 

 

“Maybe, but probably yes” Responded Aurelia, paying attention to the surroundings. 

 

“[Good]” said Ash, speaking by motions instead of words, his voice being stolen a long time ago.

 

They traversed through the forest, and finally reached their objective. The boss arena was in the middle of a devastated flatland, corrupted, cursed. Nothing was there, except a creature that emanated a dreadful energy. 

 

“Finally here” Aurelia spoke, then sighed. The journey took a toll on her, being in the lookout for anything remotely suspectful. 

 

“Oh gods, the mana it radiates is bad, really bad. Curse and Destruction...” Auburn said a few moments after seeing the creature, and froze. The mana was overwhelming to her, a combination of elements she never felt before, a unique being pertaining only in this dungeon

 

Ash was unfazed, already with his shield at his front and his sword drawn, prepared to defend his team from every danger. 

 

They looked at each other and nodded, entering the place where the beast laid. 

 

The monster had the appearance of a white wolf with its paws covered by a black substance that was seemingly part of its body, its pure white fur being  stained by stripes of black without any visible pattern. Its eyes were white, with lines the colour of black crossing it, almost like an infection. 

 

The wolf slept, while its challengers approached, its breathing steady, its body resting.. 

 

"[Analysis]” The mage spoke quietly, activating one of the main skills of her class, and analysed the wolf. The results made the party worried.

 

[Ainu, The Cursed Wolf - B] 

 

“That is stronger than what they said the second boss should have…” Aurelia muttered after having been shown the results by the mage. “But I think we can kill it.” She finished, and gave orders to the group.

 

The party went to their positions, making their usual formation to fight creatures stronger than themselves, and prepared. The Ranger with her bow out, with an arrow already knocked. The mage with her staff ready, already casting support spells and preparing more. The knight, with his shield raised and sword ready. 

 

“Ready, set, go!” Aurelia shouted, and shot her arrow towards the beast. 

 

“[Strength Up ], [Defense Up], [Agility Up], [Lesser Regeneration Up], [Barrier of Protection]” Auburn whispered, her words invoking beneficial effects to her party members and herself, and immediately cast another spell. “[Greater Mana Arrows]”

 

A dozen arrows, made of pure and undiluted mana appeared, all of them aimed towards the beast. They sped up and went to the beast, with the intent of distracting it.

 

Ash grunted, and the monster awoke. Its attention was grabbed by the knight, with all of the attacks aimed at it hitting, forcing out a roar of pain from the beast. Its eyes shone black, on the lines it had. Its blood had the same colour, and it sizzled where it spilled, corrupting more of the already dead ground. 

 

It roared once again, the noise one of rage and anger. Energy concentrated inside its snout, a ball of mana formed, curse and corruption mana condensed in a small round object. It opened its snout, the energy ichied to be released. An arrow hit it, closing its snout and trapping the ball inside of it. 

 

“[Explosive Bolt]!” The mage shouted and the spell flew to the wolf, it was still dazed and focused on stabilizing the mana inside its body, the mix of energies volatile. 

 

The wolf tried its best enduring the pain, and pounced at the ranger. She was running through the arena but the wolf was faster, and in the blink of an eye was above the ranger with its snout open. The ball of energy was released, and shot towards her. 

 

Her eyes were wide with disbelief, ‘The wolf is too fast!’ She thought. But she still had a way to survive. She wasn’t chosen for anything, after all.

 

 “[Quick step]!” she shouted. Her skill activated and her form blurred, her speed higher than the wolf’s. She dodged the energy blast, it exploded, the ground rumbled, the shock being felt from the entire forest.

 

Aurelia appeared at the right side of the beast and jumped - the beast being dazed after using that much mana - with an arrow already knocked on her bow. The energy concentrated on the tip, reaching a breaking point, and she shouted.

 

“[Piercing Arrow]! [Overcharge]!” She screamed and the arrow was let loose. 

 

The wolf saw the arrow approaching  and tried to dodge, but it forgot the ranger was not alone. 

 

“[Explosive Orbs]!” The mage shouted, and three shimmering white orbs came into existence, thrown at the direction the wolf was going. It hit, exploding on the side of the wolf,. it growled and stared on the mage, pouncing at her after a few moments

 

A loud noise was suddenly heard. The knight had battered his sword and shield onto each other, the wolf immediately turned towards the knight, its charge to the mage forgotten. Ash braced himself, picking his shield with two hands as the wolf approached, and he activated his skills without his voice, only by thought. 

 

‘[Brace] [Strong Arms] [Strong Legs]’ 

 

The knight and the wolf clashed, an immovable obstacle against an unstoppable force. The knight braced himself, his hair fluttering on the wind, and held, the wolf stopping in its charge 

 

Aurelia and Auburn took the chance to hit the monster with their best attacks.

 

“[Piercing shot]!” The ranger screamed as her arrow shot towards the beast.

 

“[Mana Lance] [Speed enhancement]!!” The mage shouted as her brilliant lance of mana flew towards the wolf. 

 

Both attacks connected and the wolf fell. 

 

The party looked at each other, still wary of the wolf, but nothing happened. They sighed together, glad that it had finally ended, when the lines on the wolf’s fur moved. It consumed all of its figure, dying its fur pitch -black. 

 

It shuddered and opened its eyes. Eyes that were with a menacing glowing sable colour. 

 

The black wolf got on its paws slowly, whimpering as if spent. It screeches and roars, its wounds close and its energy is regenerated, now in a stronger form. 

 

The party regrouped again, and the mage spoke.

 

“Is anyone hurt? I can cast a quick [Regeneration] spell now.” She said as she watched the wolf, paying attention to all of its movements.

 

“I’m not. Ash?” Aurelia asked the knight, and he shook his head. 

 

“Ok, same plan as before. Ash, take its attention and strike it if you have the chance, while me and Auburn hit it. Ready, go!” Aurelia reminded them of the simple plan, and the party took action.

 

They ran in a spear formation, with Ash at the front and the Mage and the Ranger behind him, both being ranged attackers. The wolf roared as it saw them approaching, its gait more wild and savage than before, and its power had increased. 

 

Aurelia and Auburn shift away from Ash, who still charged at the wolf, the beast’s only focus being  him. It sped up, becoming only a blur on their sight, and slammed its paw into the knight’s shield. 

 

He tried to endure, but the strength of a B ranked being is too high, and he gives in. His body was slowly being overwhelmed by the strength of the wolf, but he hadn’t given up.

 

The Ranger shot a quick barrage of arrows, the Mage conjured shimmering balls of light, and threw them at the wolf. 

 

All of the attacks hit, the wolf lost its strength, and the knight finally struck for the first time in the battle. 

 

‘[Light Edge]!’ he shouted in his mind, his sword glimmering and gathering light for itself, he raised his weapon and struck the beast. 

 

‘[Heavy Slash]’ 

 

The weapon connected, and the beast screeched. More and more attacks reached it, each one weakening it more and more. The Ranger and the Mage threw their projectiles, and the beast lost its strength

 

Ash struck at it again, and the wolf disengaged. Its figure was littered with wounds, black blood spilled to the ground, coating it in the same colour. Its eyes were tired, but it still had a last card to play.

 

It screeched one last time. All of its blood had gone back to its body, all of its wounds regenerated and the black on its fur turned a shade darker, reminiscent of a void that shallows all light.

 

The party hadn’t been idle. As the Mage threw spell after spell at the beast, as the Ranger shot arrows after arrows, and the knight charged at the beast. Each attack, unique. Yet… The wolf ignored them.

The wolf roared once again, its form back again to pristine condition. It stopped roaring, and  lunged at the Ranger. It was too quick, too fast, too nimble, that nothing but an after-image could be seen and discerned.

 

It raised its claws, and aimed them at Aurelia. She almost couldn’t notice the wolf, but when she did… she felt, deep down, genuine fear for the first time in the dungeon. This creature is too strong for her and her party, she knows that now. She felt the claws approaching, death whispering to her, and closed her eyes. She knew no skill nor her party could save her here. 

 

Ash tried to shield her, and endure the hit, but he lacked speed. Auburn tried to cast a [Shield] spell, but her speed was lacking as well.

 

The wolf got closer, its long black claws looking like an omen of death, and striked .

 

Her party screamed, and realized that they may lose her in this very moment. The claws reached the Ranger’s form, and- A wall of flames appeared. Shimmering glowing flames, the colours of a night sky defended the ranger.

 

She saw that with wide eyes, disbelief visible on her face. The wolf attacked again after its attack was defended, claws slashed and slammed on the barrier, but it was unfazed. The beast screeched, and suddenly the wall created claws of its own, and struck the wolf. The monster brought its own claws to meet it, and the two contested.

 

The flames won, and the wolf was burnt and hurt by the exchange.

 

Ash and Auburn ran to Aurelia, relief the main emotion they felt. They looked at the origin of the flames, the one who made it, and their eyes opened wide.

 

The wolf stared at the figure that appeared as well, fear showing on its face. 

 

 A bird with feathers made of flames and embers, the colour of the night sky. Black eyes with white freckles stared at the wolf, hostility evident in its gaze. 

 

The wolf trembled, for it knew what it was. 

 

A descendant of a divine beast. The first Phoenix; Eos, the Dawnbringer.

2