Prologue
548 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

It was a bright and sunny day.

“A New Life.”

I enjoy the view of the beautiful lake out by the window. On the desk is a plate for the cup of coffee I’m sipping from.

I am sitting comfortably on a chair and looking at the scenery before me. The bright sun touches my fair skin with its bright rays.

I finished reading a book made by one of my favorite authors. The book tells about the importance of life, value, friendship and the struggles in the journey.

I had a great time reading it. As expected of the writing skills from a well-known author.

By the way, are you asking who I am?

I am the protagonist of this story.

A vampire.

“What is a vampire doing in broad daylight? Shouldn’t you be burnt by now?” you ask.

Only a small value of sunlight hits my room. And I could resist weak sunlight for a day. We have curtains to lessen the value of rays coming in.

Let me tell you, there are other types of vampire. But I have no time to explain the entirety of our species. Don’t even try to make me explain our animal side of the family tree. It’s a deep secret no one must know. I’ll just narrow the classifications down to two types.

The first one is generally recognized by everyone as told in movies, shows, written stories are vampires who are active at night time, and has a low resistance on sunlight. They either die, be reduced to ashes, explode and there is also the water that came from the church blessed by the priest and dipped by the civilians on their forehead.

The second are vampires that can develop full resistance over direct sunlight. Which could be treated like zombies but they’re not. And no they do not sparkle like diamonds.

The third are the mythical ones that are reversed in nature, They are mostly active at day and sleep at night. There are records of drinking blood, being immune to the odors of garlic and just being affected only by stakes and holy water. All of the information of the third was based on myths and theories alone, so it’s recognized as untrue by most people. As stated by the book “Monster Encyclopedia: Know all about the Cretins of the Underworld”

However, I believe that the latter is true.

I read a book about a nocturnal (active at night) vampire slowly becoming a diurnal (active at day) vampire. The main protagonist of the novel struggled and endured the pain of sunlight just to be able to have a normal life in a society and meet his real human parents. It was a very sentimental story. By the way, it’s a written original novel. The title of the book is “Even Though I will Suffer, I Will Reach You”

There are various books sold in these regions. It is sold on alleyways, secret meetings in taverns, hidden far away from society and the clutches of printing press. These books being sold in secrecy are what I call “forbidden” books. Different from historical records and myths, its contents contain purely fiction, wish-fulfillment.

I tried adapting to sunlight in small amounts and I gradually developed a resistance of a day under low sunlight. It’s thanks to the number of days the experiment took. It may be possible for me to become a diurnal (day time) vampire. It’s a good thing I had a book that accompanied me throughout the experiment. “Resist with All of Your Being, Resist All the Way”. It’s a comedy book just to let you know. It was really funny up to the last chapter and to the final page.

In an unconvincing voice, I hear “Why are you relating to books? Are you a nerd, a bookworm? It must be a joke. Vampires are supposed to be cool, flashy, muscular and sparkly.”

I adore and love books and at school I’m what you call a bookworm but that’s all embedded in the vampire school. I had long since graduated. I own a large collection of books; I sit around reading all day, sometimes even go out of the comfort of my own home to the deepest darkest alleys to buy books from book hunters. I live with my parents. Vampire parents.

“Knock. Knock. Knock” the door tensed at each motion.

And they should be the one’s knocking on the door now. “I’ll be there in a second”. I reached out for the next book.

“KNOCK!!” The door breaks open, wooden shards fly out of the impact. Little pieces flying towards my direction. I quickly held up the book I was reading to protect myself.

From the impact upon the door a fog was created overlaying the shadow of a hunter. The smoke clears off, revealing a silhouette.

“It’s your final day, you filthy vampire.”

1