Arc I: Chapter 3, An Outing
35 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 I looked into the shards once more... A girl, one who resembled me but much younger... It felt really odd, why did I not reflect back from the shining shard? "Perhaps these shards simply do not see me." I swung my arm to make them disappear...

Looking besides me, Kou was peacefully sleeping on a soft, comfy bed. What a nice, peaceful time it is now... This was what I was trying to protect; her.

I looked at my sword... what was left of my sword anyways... I lost horribly; for an hour I stood trying to land a single hit, and for an hour, I failed. Of course this was nothing on my part of being weak, bringing even a single shard into action would've proved Yatori's efforts useless, but I obviously lacked actual combat skill. My shard's self-thinking nature spoiled me quite a bit...

Nevertheless, unless anything major occurs, I simply just needed to find a way to resettle. The wealth our carriage carried with the hidden store of currency - which is now in our room - should last us our live time, and some extra. The only thing was... what to do?

I went out into the porch and looked out into the darkness... I could clearly see the clouds flowing above even though the moon was covered by them... "Eitherway, whatever we do, I can be certain for however long this war lasts, we'll be tracked and attack by those Imperial Hunters again..." 

I also needed to consider, who should we have to protect us? Helmsmen might not stay with us forever, even with his oath to my brother, and I needed to find someone trust worthy to teach Kou Magic, someone who could teach her Magic and keep it a secret. Not only her, I needed a way to further strengthen myself, someway or another... How could I protect Kou if I possibly can't prootect myself? 

I took it upon myself; I would need to learn how to use something for close quarters combat... Even if my shards help, I can't be helpless if someone gets close.

... It's getting dark... I should rest... I laid down on the other bed... ah, so nice... different from the sleeping bags we used in the tents and the carriage seat.

 

 

 

----- ----- -----

 

 

 

"Helmsmen..." I... thought to myself... What could he do? I didn't want to give him a terrible goal, but I did need something done... I just didn't know what to do. 

... ... ...

I gave Helmsmen 3 gold coins... "Please, if possible, find an armor smith to reforge your armor, or forge a new armor for you. I prefer not walking around with someone wearing armor of an Imperial Guard." While the armor was not necessarily notable, it would bring various complications provided we meet guards that have seen or know the Imperial Guard coat of arms. "Not to say badly of your work or the training you took as an Imperial Guard, but the coat of arms would bring trouble..." 

Helmsmen nodded... "Understood, I understand." 

"Thank you..." I told him before standing up from the chair.

I started walking to my room... "Be sure to return safely Lady Tenshi." Helmsmen told me before leaving on his own.

I turned back and yelled, "Don't worry, I'll make sure to ask for a guard." I than left to go to my room to get Kou.

I... ah, I forgot to told Helmsmen to not refer to me or Kou with Lady, as the Holy Kingdom doesn't refer to anyone above others.

... such a diverse country... The Kawachi Empire, an empire ruled by class and Noble rank. Here, the Holy Kingdom of Astera and it's equality laws stating no discrimination based on wealth, social status, or anything. The only few who are referred to specially is the apparent leader of the Holy Kingdom, or someone the citizens call The Great One... not even him, her; no one knows the leader's gender... Or at least the gender of such a leader isn't leaked to public.

Though despite the equaltiy, that doesn't mean there isn't wealth or high-end businesses. While there were countless welfare acts done by the Holy Kingdom, the Holy Kingdom still had it's share of high-end places. This place alone should be enough evidence of the fair share of high-end business. Today was also the day I told Kou I would shop with Kou around the city.

... considering my options for escort... Rudel did stay at this inn, but... Paying for a escort would make our shopping trip a little less open... I could get Yatori, and ask his father if I can take him to view the city, as well as enjoy the city openly with him, but... Yatori works here... sigh, I'll consider my options when I prepare to leave.

For now, I just wanted to dress and groom Kou for this occasion. 

 

-----

 

Yatori stood besides us with the same clothes he wore for work... 

As an outsider, it wouldn't be difficult to see the three of us as two young rich ladies with a butler or servant... Especially since the dresses we wore were very different from the dresses here. Our dresses we wore were more akin to a medium-length frilly-pleaded skirt with a elegant-long blouse. While definitely not dresses to the Holy Kingdom's standards, skirts with a matching top were considered dresses in the Empire. Combined with knee-high pure-white socks with fancy-lacy boots, it wasn't difficult to see us as rich ladies. Our contrasting hair color did make us stand out though; a girl with short-medium length black hair, and another who was smaller, but with long golden-pink-red hair. Yatori, whose work clothes resembled that of a butler or servant stood next to us, not differing in quality of clothes. 

The bustling city we crossed was full of life. Even though we had a lot of gazes at us, we were nothing in the grand scales of this city. Even a medium-sized city like this feels so... overwhelming. Unlike the Empire's capital which separated everything, the scale of people and business here seemed so lively; different from the few Nobles of the Empire looking for specific items. While I knew this was simply only the business district, I wouldn't even want to know how busy the actual commercial, work districts, and the market districts would be. Work districts full of metal workers, blacksmiths, or full of farmers. 

Here, the shops had clothes... It felt weird seeing clothes on sale rather than tailor made clothes, but... the difference certainly felt unique. From the windows I could see clothes, jewelry, and many other luxury items. Items such a perfumes, scarfs, and ribbons. Some of the clothes and items I could tell were very exquisite, while others I could see from a glance were made for affordability and convenience. 

Coming from these shops were a few restaurants. The few here were high-end, though there weren't many here... Not to mention the restaurants, there were a few stalls outside in the streets selling food with lines of people waiting. 

"It... feels lively..." I muttered as I looked around the crowded capital.

I turn to look at Yatori... "It is the proud city, Jewels, the proud jewel of the Holy Kingdom of Astera." He claimed.

I nodded... "Indeed..." I focused my attention to Kou who looked around to the nearby shop... "If you are interested in anything, please tell me Kou... Please enjoy today with me." I felt as though Kou was a bit quiet today. Maybe she was a little shy or scared, but... "If not me, please tell Yatori, Kou." 

"I... okay Tenshi..." Kou replied... 

I had no faith she would tell me; she would be the type of girl who never tell me her wishes and desires because she was that selfless. 

"Huh—?..." My eyes wandered onto a child... A crying child... Everyone around us eyed that child, yet no one reached out to her. I walked over to that child and kneeled down... "Hello little one, are you perhaps lost?" I held my hand out to her.

I turned back to see Kou and Yatori looking at me... Yatori looked at me with a smile... eh, help...?

Well... focusing my attention to this child, she didn't reply or take my hand... She must be scared, or something. Looking now, I could make out that she could barely make it to someone who was 10. I adjusted my approach, I gently moved both her hands together, before grasping her hand myself. "Hello, my name is Shinjii Tenshi, what is your's?" 

That child slowly stopped crying... I took it to myself to move her to the side, away from the mass of people walking through. I didn't have anything, but... well, my comforting words and experience as an older sibling. "Ai... Ai..." Ai said softly.

Ai... nothing came to mind, so she was probably a lost child. Most people in the Holy Kingdom, regardless of class or wealth, have family or surnames. So—well, I couldn't expect a child to understand or know. "Ai... Would you know—, ah, do you know where you live? Or who your parents are?" I suppose polite speech isn't needed with a child... Not to mention, I don't know Ai would understand my polite speech.

... well, despite all my words, I wouldn't be able to help much... I'm still new to this city, and I doubt I would know anyone here. 

"... Asashio Kito..." Ai muttered... 

Asashio Kito... I have no idea who she is, but I'll listen onto that name... Well, I guess it would be Ai—... wait, I don't actually know how it works here. I'll keep to Ai for now.

My purpose here... well, I suppose I can tell her. "Okay Ai... I was originally here for a small shopping tour, but... would you like to join me?" Upon further inspections, she seemed to be from a well-off family. Definitely, in terms of the Empire's Noble rank, not a high class or high-wealth Noble, or for that matter a medium-class Noble. She would probably fit the lower-Noble class or the wealthy merchant type. Though looking around and seeing familiar dresses in a clean state, I couldn't say for certain. 

"Yes..." Ai weakly replied. 

I gently held her hand and stood up. "You can lead the way Ai." I lightly suggested, as Ai walked forward.

Aren't children so innocent to stop crying with care... I suppose I never gave Kou any love like this... Well... 

"... I'll pay more attention to giving love..." I quietly told myself...

2