Arc I: Chapter 11, A Miracle
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"... It isn't too far, if I need to return, I should be able to return quickly..." I told myself...

I should be able to quickly return if I constantly Dissipated back in the direction where they were. Though I could also maintain the track on the direction where the Imperial Hunters went if I Dissipated their direction. It would definitely be much more dangerous as Dissipating by sight to a location I wasn't familiar with could make for me making another bad landing, but it would need to be done to speed myself up. 

I thought to myself... What if I stayed with the carriage...? Even fighting at least 16 of them, and considering my 12 shards, I would need at least 6 to defend me from mass Bombardment, at least 2 to defend Helmsmen, and 2 to defend the carriage if I am not around. If I engage Jack, I would be left with 2 against him, and I would need to hope my skills in fighting allows me to overcome Jack's combat experience. If it turns out we are fighting more than 16, we hold no definite advantage... especially since they could ambush us at any moment.

If my plan worked, I could overcome this skirmish though... I would sneak up to them, quietly, and trail behind them faintly and commit my own attack when they prepare an ambush against the carriage. If I know where they are, and they don't know where I am, I hold an even greater advantage, as I know my shards work in a radius of 75 meters, without fail. They could take it as me being in the carriage noticing their ambush, or any other possible situation. Adding the cover of darkness, if my plan works, I have a massive chance of turning this small skirmish around.

... though finding the Imperial Hunters would be a challenge... Staying hidden from them would be the other. Especially if I am splitting my attention by Dissipating quickly over and over again...

 

----- 

 

The faint link from before came to me... I knew for a fact that Jack was near. I wasn't sure if Jack knew if I was near, but, I would need to be careful...

... no, sensing further, I felt another faint link... As long as I distanced myself, I could pass my link as an oddity.

The darkness would aid me in my surveillance... I wouldn't be able to hear or know their plan, but I could follow and surveil my opponent...

... I counted a total of 30 people. From this distance I couldn't make exact details, but I identified Jack, as well as someone who seemed to look like his assissant, along with 15 uniformed individuals, 17. Other than that, I counted 13 others, all of them with bows... I had no knowledge of any military groups other than each nation's respected Knight's Order, so for all I knew these bowmen could be Imperial Hunters or supporting archers...

Archers... Archers were mostly phased out in favor of Magicians in most militaries, though against opponents with no Magicians or a minimal amount of Defense Magicians, archers can inflict terrible damage. Though against smaller formations, precision fire is difficult. 

Though against me, archers would be much more threatening than Magicians... since I had no way of precisely defending myself against arrows.

I silently watched from afar in the darkness. Slowly, after a long while... they all started moving out. I had no idea what their plan was, but my general plan was to attack and take out at least 4 or 6 of them with a surprise attack at the key moment. Disrupting their attack and putting them in panic would be everything I need to achieve control over this skirmish.

With my excellent night vision, I silently stalked them. They maintained a quick pace; faster than a carriage... These people are monsters; even if I assume they took horses to catch us here. I had to Dissipate several times to maintain pace behind them.

There the carriage... I counted 5 people forming a small group behind the carriage... 

... I waited silently... 

... ... ... Movement, movement towards the carriage, and sudden... ... ...

I took this as my chance to strike, as the Imperial Hunters started converging upon the carriage. I ensured the five in front of me would be taken care of by striking them with 10 shards. I kept 2 shards for defense in case.

5 silent deaths... From my hidden area where I surveilled this small area, I committed to more attacks with my shards. Instead I focused on picking off one at a time. Everything but my 2 shards attacked, and I counted at least 9 I've killed.

"Found you." Eh--? I,

~~/~~

"This..." That Dark Magic link only just came now with his warp... My two shards I left saved me by getting in the way of his swing... Just how--,

I jumped back and quickly rolled back in a tumble... Jack continued his assault, only being hindered by my two shards...

I didn't even have my sword to fight back against; all I could do was dodge his attacks which was difficult with how well he controlled his distance. Too far and he would lunge skillfully through my shards. Close and he would just slash me quickly. 

I tried to slowly back my position to an area to where I could make a gap and Dissipate to get my sword quickly...

... wait for it... 

... ... ... Now!

~~/~~

I pushed my entire body down and grabbed my sword before fixing myself to an upright stance--?

An arrow...? I looked beyond--, grr...

Obviously this was their plan... Jack would force me to fight him as an archer tried to hit me. I couldn't even pinpoint the direction where I was being attacked from as now Jack and that mysterious archer coordinated their attacks perfectly. Judging this it was clearly either a very skilled archer or a long-comrade of Jack. Their cooperation was too on point; too much I couldn't even sneak in a attack. 

"Tskk--!" I silently wished for them to be gone; the stall for time they were hoping for obviously worked as my path to the carriage was blocked. 

Defending against them two was difficult, but if I Dissipated to the carriage and fought on all sides I would struggle to defend myself. Even if I took down 6 attackers, we were still out numbered 1 to 4 at least. That is not to say everything wasn't on my side; my shards would eventually find more victims to strike down in this open field, and Helmsmen is most likely maintaining a strict defense. It also is more apparent, but Jack obviously couldn't maintain his Interference Magic, as he was much more sluggish now than before... er, a little bit more sluggish... 

I only needed 2 shards here to protect me, everything else could be delegated to defense to the carriage. Defending myself was only a matter of skill and time.

... still, we couldn't take the enemy for granted--the Kawachi Empire obviously sent a small group of skilled individuals to capture Kou. While they are no different from anyone else to dying to shards, they are much more skilled in taking one's life than a normal person. It is only the massive difference in individual power and Magic that keeps us alive.

I stalled for time on my end; hopefully Helmsmen and Asashio can defend the carriage with the two of them and my shards as support. I just need to survive against these two.

Dissipation, diving to dodge arrows, and pivoting and parrying... I was lucky I wasn't limited by my Interference Magic distorting and disorientating me, but...

"... ha... ha..." I switched my sword to my left hand--, my right hand felt numb from blocking and parrying, as well as just dodging. My landings were much better, but I still instinctively covered and protected myself with my right hand. "..." I took it in, we're both running low on time...

Huh--?... Fireballs were starting to be launched towards me--?

"38..." I quickly pivot my head back and forth to look at the fireballs and Jack, as well as any potential arrow... I had no choice, " | Distortion Field | !" Instantly all the Fireballs exploded or dissipated into nothingness. I quickly twisted my body as I jumped back in this short span of time - an arrow came and missed... correction, it grazed my black dress...

I took my sword and prepared for a quick attack from Jack; nothing... No, thinking logically, it made sense why he didn't attack, a Bombardment would be devastating. Seeing me stop it all at once would probably confuse anyone - an invisible shield. Seeing Asashio use Defensive Magic for the first time, defensive spells take time and have visible signs - at least with what I saw. 

... No doubt everyone's eyes were on the feat I just accomplished... A miracle. Nothing short of that could explain to people what occurred... a few seconds would pass; enough for me to start my counter attack.

1