Arc I: Chapter 17, The Aftermath of Battle, Field of Misery
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

... late at night, I looked around... Everyone left was too tired or shocked by the intensity of battle to do much. Much of the horses were dead, and the majority of the mounted soldiers died as well. As for me...

"... Summon..." 59 shards appeared, something started to become more and more apparent to me... "My shards only increase after fighting." I couldn't yet relate how they increased in response to me engaging in combat, but the increase has something to do with the scale and intensity of combat. "... Just what am I...?" A hint of dread and regret struck me like never before...

Huh--? Jack's link came back and I prepared myself. It struck all the dread and regret I had before out of me and took me to my analytical stance. I didn't have my sword, but my 59 would be more than enough to over power a single person. 

Jack warped in front of me and I started to start my attack--, "... Wait..." He motioned in the darkness; he seemed unarmed... In case anything funny would happen I still kept my shards out. "May I gave a proposal to you?" Jack asked me...

... should I listen...? I was almost certain Jack would try to manipulate me somehow. "Be quick and concise, Jack." I ordered.

"Work for me. You won't be an official soldier, and I will give you and your sister, Miss Shinjii, money and freedom. You still have my offer." I took offense from this offer... A bribe, a bad one at that. "I will also offer you something; something to achieve or do. It isn't a military mission, more a personal mission for something otherwise absurd." Huh, what did Jack mean...?

Sigh, whatever he would give us... "No, I apologize Jack, but I will reject any offer you give. No matter how much you give, I made this choice to run; I won't object to it. I recommend you leave soon; I don't intend to entertain you." I expressed how I felt, and my choice. "Maybe sometime, somewhere, I will take your offers, but not now." I turned around to leave... I knew Jack wouldn't do anything; I just knew... 

"... I see..." Jack replied... I turned back towards him, just out of curiosity. "Respect the dead; it isn't much, but at least respect the Imperial Marksmen, Lady Paula would at least respect her soldiers buried with honor. Though the Holy Kingdom is very virtuous, I would like to at least ask that they are honored." Jack soon faded into nothing, the link from our Dark Magic gone.

... ... ...

"... Respect the dead..." I muttered to myself... "... at the very least, I will respect your skill to ask for that..."

That Jack character... he seemed much more interesting than I thought. Thinking more, his offer was more personal rather than job-related. 

 

 

 

----- ----- -----

 

 

 

A large detachment of Holy Kingdom troops arrived early morning. I counted around 250 soldiers. 

We were treated as bystanders caught in the crossfire, even though Gelmund attributed most of the defense to my skills. I tried my best to modestly undermine my actual performance, but... It was clear whoever Gelmund spoke to simply took me as modestly passing it off.

After that... I came back to our tents. Kou and Aikito both looked at me... with blank faces... "Ten... Ten... Tenshi... What--, why did..." Kou eyes... I suppose a kid seeing such a terrible bloody scene in front of them would be permanently scared... "... Sorry... it just... was so scary, the people... they didn't hold back, and hearing the screams..." 

... Sigh... I took my sword in my sheath and gave it to Kou... "War, fighting, everything about it is brutal in a fight. Especially melee combat; hesitation is the doom of every fighter. Making time to analyze while not leaving yourself too open, not to mention Magicians are much better served casting Bombardment or Defensive Spells; that is why I never taught or tried to get someone to teach you swordsmanship..." I explained to Kou. Yet... "... though, I never sought to get someone to teach you Magic because... I simply wished to protect you from power; learning to fight should not make you rush into danger without evaluation and observation. I thought that if you were helpless in fighting you would be safe, yet... I seem quite wrong, please forgive me Kou..." I decided to be honest... I silently cried, no sobs, no sniffling, just tears...

... ... ... Kou silently took the sheathed sword... ... ...

"You as well Aikito... Fighting is not pretty, accepting that killing is the norm will cut down on you. Your sister already has the determination to kill when necessary, and that is commendable. So, do not look up at us in being heroes; all heroes are villain's in the end." I finished my depressing monologue and let out a sigh... 

... I felt it was time to explain to Kou, and Aikito who were both shocked from the battle yesterday night... Normal skirmishes are quick and brutal, wars last years but battles with primitive weapons last minutes, maybe a few hours for large battles. Against a ruthless elite group, battles are even more brutal, as elite soldiers are more than trained in the arts of efficient killing. 

As much as I hated to leave them, I still had to follow someone's request. I went over to Gelmund who was overseeing some men carrying bodies. A soldier pointed to me...? "Tenshi, what brings you here?" Gelmund asked, seeing me near bodies.

... haa--, asking politely will work... probably... "I know the Imperial Forces did kill your men, but... could you ask these soldiers to bring the Imperial Forces bodies with them?" I politely asked, with my reasoning... Hopefully it didn't sound suspicious...

"Oh, of course. We respect all, even those who fight us... I also have deep respect for the Imperial Forces from the Kawachi Empire; they fight fiercely, and loyally. Nothing is wrong with that." Gelmund said.

... Huh... Fiercely, loyally, and such. Such was the trained troops of the Kawachi's Imperial Army, though I wonder how the peasant army with the stubern non-knighted Nobles the Kawachi Empire has now would fight and act. 

I thanked Gelmund and started to head back. 

Seeing everything in daytime clearly, it was brutal. Even though soldiers cleaned up the battlefield from the countless corpses, both people and horses, it was still very easy to tell there was a battle with creators on the ground. Helmsmen and Asashio were together speaking to another man that looked like an Officer - or at least from my impressions of his clothing. A woman stood by his side with a book. 

I walked away... I should join Kou and Aikito; I shouldn't involve myself with the Holy Kingdom's military too much. I didn't come over to the Kawachi Empire to join their army; simply to run and live my life with Kou... sigh, hopefully this is the last I involve Kou in any combat situation.

"... I won't endanger you again Kou..."

1