Arc I: Chapter 25, The Cloaked Man
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We all met together... all four of us. Asashio gave recommendation to Helmsmen to let him stay and interact with the group of knights and Holy Knights in the Holy Castle. As for us, we went out the castle and entered the town... City, the City of Astoria.

As we exited Castle Astera... the faint shield that protected Castle Astera reformed as I exited, the fracture of darkness as I exited appeared.

... Whatever, a surely me being a Grievous Lady as something to do with this...

Even through this carriage, I looked out as the black dome faded into a clear nothingness... 

"Just... how much Magic does the castle hold?" If that... otherworldly shield thing is this, just what other shields does this castle project? I doubt even all the Court and High Magicians in the world could make a dent into this dome. I couldn't feel much with my lack of Magic, but I was sure Kou and Asashio felt a strong link to the castle. 

 

----- 

 

Again, the bustling streets of Astoria was no lie... Without a doubt it showed the between the two nations. "Even Eris on a busy day was no where close..." 

It really mad me realize the difference in power... 

"The Empire really underestimated the Holy Kingdom's strength... though--, why was the Empire not completely destroyed by the Holy Kingdom?" I pondered in the carriage as we rode forward... my voice speaking to myself, and to whoever wanted to listen. Kou and Aikito were asleep, and Asashio looked outside and listened to my rumblings...

"I can't say much... Even I don't know." Asashio replied. "Though... how is Eris? I heard that it is unwelcoming due to the Class District setup." A question of wonder brought me back to reality, from my endless thinking of thoughts.

"The lower districts, or the Commoner District was usually busy, and safe as long as you tread the main paths and roads. The Noble Districts were very... exquisite, to say the least..." I tried thinking of words to describe the Noble District. "Well... Another way to describe it is also a place where you have to maintain your guard at all times, Nobility is a stressful thing to maintain." I decided to explain that key part of being a Noble. I looked around in the city... It felt so peaceful, even if they didn't have everything they wished to have. "It--... well, it feels so refreshing to not have to be wary of who you are talking to. Speaking normally like friends..." 

Such was how peasants interacted... "Nobles... you talk like you never wanted to be one, a... Shinjii." A name I have never heard for a while came from Asashio's words. "It must have been... tough being one, I struggle keeping my image in check. Surely there must be good being a Noble?" A question everyone asks, and a question I must clarify,

"The role of Nobles comes with great responsibility and boredom... Any mistake if yours, to blame it on the peasants of your land is a only said to the public - your mistakes are known far and wide in the Noble social standings. When a problem arises, you are the one who must solve it; when the nation starts failing, you are the one who must save it; when other Nobles and the commoners declare you as an enemy, you are the one who must defend yourself from them." I came through and strictly with my words... "The wealth of Nobility comes with the responsibility, though... Money can't buy everything..." That last lesson... Money, power, and social contacts, no matter how many you had and how powerful they were, nothing could stop even tragedies. 

"I--..." Why did Asashio look so scared?... Was my face turning scary? "... sorry for asking Tenshi... I said something out of place, sorry." Those words... comforting me... 

Haah--... "While there are bad Nobles, there are also good Nobles that serve to make people in their lands happy. Usually it is easy to know which ones are which by how they act." I told Asashio that, as the image of the Kawachi Nobles was slowly dipping. "... and... the Imperial Ruler is one of those less-honorable ones..." I added, as I looked enviously to the outside... 

It... was too peaceful here... It was no doubt a wonderful place. 

We silently sat in the carriage... 

"Please stop here Elon, I want to spend time here at the White Market Square." Asashio said to the driver. We soon stopped, and both me and Asashio went off to wake up Kou and Aikito. As we disembarked, "Be careful around here, as all our busy cities are very easy to get lost in." 

... haha... I silently remembered the first time I met you, Asashio. The time when Aikito got lost and she looked so scared, almost like a lost kitten... Than Asashio stormed into Jewels de Lapins. Yeah, I won't be able to find anyone if I get lost - as the only one here with low Magic Potential... 

 

----- 

 

Haha... how did I get lost again...? All I remembered was that we went to go to what seemed like a high-end restaurant, than we tried going to a clothing shop. Then... well, I got distracted by a certain item in a shop. 

Now, here I was... I actually had no money on me, as Pristina's golden dress had no small pockets to hide the golden coins of the Shinjii family. I could Dissipate back to the Castle, or even to Jewels, but... Well, that is one certain way to scare all three of them for sure, as they search effortlessly for someone not even here.

... Well, I suppose that gives me time to look around alone... 

I mixed in as best I could with this shiny golden dress. My simple current goal was to try and find... 

"Ah, well..." There should be churches and such, right? I know a bit from the Apostle, but... I never really understood the Religion of the Apostles, so learning what the religion is for my stay here will be helpful. I looked around and saw a... black cloaked figure, with an odd sense of connection. "A... Dark Magician?" I felt drawn towards that figure.

I quickly walked to catch up to that black cloaked figure. I knew--, no, I met the figure before. It made me wonder, how and when did he get here?

"Hello sir." I finally caught up and patted his shoulder. He turned around--, it was him... "Thanks for giving me the Grimoire." 

A deep voice. "..." Nothing... "You met with him, didn't you..." Huh?

Him...? Who would--, ah, the Apostle? Why is he the only one who referred to the Apostle as him? "Yes...?" 

"I see..." He muttered...? Did he know the Apostle? "Linger here too long, and you might regret everything... take this as a warning, reality is tragic, like to the rest of those who carry your title and name." Huh--? "But, ignore my warning, you are here for a visit, correct?" 

I felt confused from all his words, so I could only nod mindlessly... "So..." I felt conflicted as to what to ask... "Could you give me a tour of Astoria, and explain to me the Religion of the Apostle?" I to ask him for that. Knowing him as someone special, surely he would be knowledgeable enough to know.

"That is fine, follow me..." He said.

We both silently walked forward... 

I took this time to start thinking more... 'Linger here too long, and you might regret everything...'? I thought back to the Apostle and... his words. Die. If... No, that wouldn't make sense, yet, it was exactly what he was speaking of. Stay alive too long and I'll die, or regret something worse.

This... today, I knew today would be a long day, a day where I questioned just how much time I had left for me, and a day where I questioned reality...

I looked up into the sky... It was late noon, soon dusk would set and today would end, and another day would start. But, for now, I followed this mysterious knowledgeable man to a church, or wherever... 

1