The Journey’s Reason
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- This scenery… I really never got to appreciate this journey. – said the mysterious stranger looking out of the window of the train's carriage. His outline was the only thing that you could perceive due to the brightness of the daylight pouring from outside. His voice indicated that he was a carefree man, freed from every humane shackle derived from the day-to-day life in a normal society – After all, I only ever thought about its conclusion, about the one that was there, waiting for me, excited to be with me. I used to get so nervous to see the number of stops getting closer to zero. I longed for that zero… That doesn't matter anymore. I'm here on a mission, nothing else.

A memory emerged after saying those words. The memory of a wavy blond-haired man, sitting on a dusky purple-coloured couch. He had a relaxed posture, with both of his arms behind the couch and his right leg sitting on top of the dark wooden table in front of him. He had some facial hair on his chin but not enough to fully cover it. With a naughty smile slapped on his face, he showed his perfect white front teeth. His eyes, covered by a honey-like paint, were brimming of life with a twinkle born out of his positive way of seeing the world.

- I don't want to go back there Boss, you know that. I left because I wanted to follow you. – the same voice from the man in the train whined.

- C'mon now, you know you have to do it. You think you have moved on but you won't truly be able to live your life the way you want to unless you go through with this. – the blond-haired man said, trying to convince him.

- Are you really going to make me go back? – the voice asked to his friend, still hoping that he wouldn't have to leave.

- I think you already know the answer to that question. – he replied with a jolly tone of voice – If you go, I'll make you some of my special Boss' ramen.

- I know that your special ramen is made at the food stall down down by the river. Tssk, you're Japanese and the only japanese thing you can is some damn over-cooked egg on watered rice…      - he sighed – Alright, I'll do it. – the shadow of the unknown character stood up and left, leaving the room entirely.

- That's my second in command. Wait a minute… - he paused, still putting the pieces in place - YOU LOVE MY EGG ON RICE!

The train captain's radio turned on for the passengers.

- Ladies and gentlemen, our next and last stop is Covilhã. Thank you for choosing our services. We hope we see you again.

- I guess this is it. Humph – he did a slight grin, showing a small scar on his upper lip – All for some damn street ramen.

Who is this strange man?

Upon arriving at the last station he was struck with joy as he proceeded to stretch his entire body whilst deeply inhaling the countryside's light fresh air. Though he loved Tokyo he still missed the cold freedom found at a more rural environment. It reminded him of his late grandma's home village and his summer escapades there with his family. At the memory of his loved ones he felt his heart being clutch by the saddening choice he had to take in his past. It was hard, but, he had to do it. For his boss. For his family. And above all, himself. A selfish choice, but alas, the right one to take.

His stomach was grouching due to his everlasting hunger. He didn't eat anything on the train of his own accord. He didn't regret it though. The food wasn't up to par, looking quite distasteful and straight up inedible. Its image could speak for itself. On the other hand, the empty belly only made it harder to endure the foul stench of the flatulence coming from the elderly fellow sitting in front of him.

Mentally tired from his trip the man leaned his back against one of the trees at the entrance of the station, finding protection from the sun under its shadow. It might not look like it but staying put on the same place for a long period of time can take its toll on a person. Even more so a certain someone that especially hates slacking around with nothing to keep his mind busy.  That certain someone went by the name Stray. That wasn't his real name of course. No, he stopped using the name his mother had given him years ago. To tell the truth, he had long forsaken it. He had no use for it in his current line of work and it only reminded him of the painful wounds he carried in his soul. He had moved on, not giving a single thought to his scars that changed him. However, he felt the sorrow from the past every single day of his life. It was, after all, his talent.

As the weather starting changing, the fresh air was turning bitter cold, leaving him grateful for not presenting his usual attire. A man with an height above average, he was wearing a black overcoat and dark navy blue jeans, paired with dark brown leather brogues to top it off.  Nothing short of professional. He wanted to look the part if he occasionally ran into unwanted individuals. That place which he cherished was also the home where the past took a turn for the worst. He had a somewhat hate-love relationship for that city.

His brown hair was short and not properly styled, unlike the rest of his clothes. He had a natural ability to never properly completing a single task, even if it was as basic as taking care of his body. It was bit neglected, as seen by the three scars on his face. The first was, as previously seen on the train, a small injury preceding from the upper lip. The second emerging from his the top of his forehead all the way to his left eyebrow, crossing it by just a few millimeters. The last one was on his nose, going from side to side.

He had put on sunglasses like always, concealing his eyes from the rest of the world. It was one of the things he got used to since most of his work is done at night. That might be the reason that he's using to explain such a habit but still, its possible that he is trying his hardest not to reveal something. Maybe, he is trying to hide his unsettling rage that would ultimately make him look dangerous at the eyes of others not close to him. He hated to be part of social dramas but he did however like to help erase them.

An unexpected  sound came echoing from his jacket's inside pocket. He jumped, startled by the noise of a K-pop song coming from his phone. With a swift and immediate action, he took his phone from the jacket and answered the call, embarrassed and afraid that it had been heard by someone nearby.

- Hello? - Stray asked, gasping for air.

- Have you already found him? - asked the caller, with a monotone voice, completely disregarding Stray's question.

- Tech… you most definitely know that I took the train, I even booked the tickets with you… One thing, did you perhaps change my ring tone? I'm pretty sure that I didn't change it to a random K-pop song since uh, well, I hate K-pop! - Stray shouted, knowing he was the target of a prank.

- I have already sent the mark's last known location to your phone. - Tech revealed, ignoring another of Stray's questions.

- Hey Tech, are you trying to make me mad? You know that I have no problem cutting your iron heart into little tiny pieces. - Stray threatened.

- I thought that you were buying tickets for some girl singer's concert.

- WHAT?!?!

- We all know that you like the "girly sentimental type of music".

- No I don't! Kitty and Silva are the ones that enjoy that type of crap. I would never listen to...

- You know we can hear you when you are in the shower, right? - Tech disclosed. - Especially yesterday since the door was wide open.

- I, huh, don't know what you're talking about... - Stray's voice was shaking a bit, showing that he was a bit embarrassed about the truth. - Wait, how was the door open? I remember closing it after entering the showers… - he said, confused.

- Oh, that was Silva. - Tech finally answered a question, although he did seem to enjoy telling the truth. - She opened the door.

- "That little demon…" - Stray thought, infuriated - I'll take care of her later.

- Hahaha, no need to do her any harm, hahaha, she is just a kid.

Another voice popped up from the phone.

-And to be fair, that was so funny. I was laughin' so hard hearing you try to reach the high notes, I could barely hold the recorder. Tech, what did I tell you about spillin' the beans on your friends?

- "That voice…" - Stray recognized the familiar voice - Boss?! You were listening too?!

- It was his idea from the start. - Tech revealed, taking pleasure in throwing his friend into the jaws of the wolf.

- Oi, are you yappin' on me aswell Tech? - Boss asked Tech, feeling down at the matter.

- But its the truth… - Tech gave as an excuse for his deliberate action.

- Doesn't matter if it's the truth, you shouldn't be snitchin' on your boss. - Boss told Tech, with a low demeanor.

While the two voices argued about the right conduct to have in terms of secret keeping, Stray thought to himself, furious at them both - "I'm going to slice you all up and feed you to the mutts when I get home."

- Stray… - Boss called him, with a slight touch of empathy.

- Hmm? - Stray acknowledged Boss' call.

- I know that you have it in you. Don't start havin' pity of yourself. You are strong eno…

- No need for that Boss. - Stray interrupted him - I remember what you said. Just try not to buy the wrong ramen dish. After all, you are always with your head on the clouds.

Stray and Boss were very alike. Maybe that's why he decided to leave his old life behind. To follow a man that's knows what it's like to fail and keep trying.

- Says the fool that doesn't sleep because he is so fixated on the moon.

Both of them smirked, revealing a deep bond between the two idiots.

- I won't get the wrong ramen, I promise. - Boss said, reassuring Stray - Are you still worried about runnin' into your past?

- I was never worried about stuff that doesn't matter anymore. - Stray lied - I don't even know if she is still here.

- Yes you do. You check up on her every now and then on our data base. - Tech stated.

- Honestly Tech… can you never shut the hell up?!

- I always tell the truth. - Tech announced, knowing that the truth was always something that struck his friends' nerves.

- Hahaha, he doesn't have to say anythin', you can hear it from the sound of your voice when you speak of the matter, hahaha. - Boss informed, laughing at the fact.

- You're both lucky I'm miles away from home…

- Don't forget to bring some souvenirs. And some traditional sweets.

- I'll bring you some sweets, alright. Don't worry, I know the perfect ones to bring you. - Stray said, thinking of putting some poison in them.

Stray turned off the call, closing his eyes and inhaling some air, grateful for the silence that was set. He wanted to go home as fast as he could, trying to hide the real motive that he had for going back to the past.

Resolute on finishing his mission he began is ascent to the main town and to complete his mission.

What is Stray's mission?

0