Chapter 1: Prologue.
122 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Not sure if anyone is wondering but I would like to point out that the first 5 or so chapters are introducing the story and act mostly as exposition. So because of that the first 5 chapters are written differently than after the story starts, starting with chapter 6. So don't think that this is how all of the story looks like.

In a room that is covered in shadows and is only being illuminated by a single desk lamp that  provides just enough light for the women sitting in a leather office chair reading a peculiar looking book. The rest of the room not covered by the relatively small amount of light given off by the lamp is covered by shadows and darkness making it hard to see anything clearly except for the outlines of the furniture in the room. Which included a wooden desk that had a modern computer, a leather couch and matching leather chair, a wooden table that is in between the two and several filing cabinets that are lined up against the wall to the right of the desk, that looking at from behind the desk can be seen with finer details being hidden by the darkness. But that low amount of light was enough for the women who had stayed late after work to look at a new book that was found in a recent operation. The book was dated to be at least several hundred years old if not more. But that wasn’t what made it strange. Instead it was the language which is an alien language that is of an unknown origin and it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to read except if not for the English notes that are scribbled on the sides of the pages and in between the lines. This made it possible to attempt to decode it, though it would take a long time and be difficult to know if any translations are accurate.   In some ways the notes made reading it even harder since the pages were filled with words from two very distinct writing systems that sharply contrasted each other. Though alongside the notes another book was on the desk which held a partly translated version of it. Which was produced by presumably the cult that the two books were seized from.  The woman that was looking through the untranslated version was wearing a long sleeve business suit top and black pants which in her own words are a lot more comfortable than wearing a skirt. 

 

The woman who was reading the strange text  is Samantha Briggins who is considered a genius and has received numerous degrees from Harvard including a Phd in Psychology and Anthropology. She is a senior member of an organization called the United Nations Department of Supernatural and Occult Affairs (Staff often lament on how they wish they had a more unique name and as such is commonly nicknamed as the Agency by most of the staff members and those who know of its existence.). Its extremely varied and unique responsibilities include but are not limited to investigating strange texts and artifacts like the one that Samantha is currently reading and to stop any organizations or cults from attempting to research and use it for their own often twisted goals. The Agency as it is commonly called by the staff and the few that know of its existence call it also have plans to research the objects, texts and on rare occasions living creatures that they capture. There are many reasons given as to why captured items researched and studied instead of just being sent off to some remote bunker to be stored in for the rest of time, out of human hands all together.  Some have noble goals like trying to better protect humanity by being better prepared to face any supernatural threats it might face. Then there are others that wish do so for the less than noble goals, but neither group are above human experimentation and other less than moral methods to get results in research.

  But Samantha didn’t mind or really care about the more questionable activities of the Agency since working for it meant being able to study the unknown that was truly unknown since it was a world that was hidden from the masses and, one that presents infinite amounts of discoveries that never Samantha would never run out of things to study.  But no matter how little or how much she discovers in the grand scheme of things it is still a passion of hers and something that brings a great amount of excitement to her life that might otherwise be an average and boring life to her. Though it would be hard to realize how much she enjoys her job if you just look at her due to her perpetually stoic if bordering on emotionless face. Though it that doesn't mean that she doesn't feel emotions, its just that she doesn't express them that well. Which is just one part of her almost emotionless  facial expressions and very logical personality and her naturally near monotone voice. Which she tries to hide when she tries to talk by trying to add emotion to her speech but even when she tries to consciously talk with some emotions the monotone aspect never completely disappears. Though it doesn't detract from a certain charisma that she has though it is an unorthodox one.  These aspects of her personality make her able to handle;  the most gruesome scenes easier, be able to see the most unnatural of beings or read the most disturbing, unnatural texts. Things that the average person wouldn’t be able to handle and would have most like been mentally scarred or gone mad from it. But Samantha is able to handle them all without a single issue and stay sane. Which has led the staff that know of her to speculate that she doesn't have enough emotions to go mad. Which may be true to some extent but in reality is that she is instead excited at discovering things no matter how inhuman or disturbing and along from her views her experiences as an agent of the Agency as well as her past as an FBI agent have led her to gain a tolerance to gruesome scenes has also allowed her to be unaffected by the shocking and disturbing scenes she sometimes comes across. As well as the fact that she hasn't been the most expressive of her emotions even as her child and her logical personality. Though the exact reason was never found out, leading her personality to become one of the biggest unofficial mysteries of the Agency. Since no one has ever found out what was the exact cause of her emotionless or her ability to go through traumatic events, in the way she does.  Since she had by pretty much all definitions, a happy childhood and was greatly successful  in both academics and sports (though it was more like she was just physically fit rather than being skilled in any particular sport) and was able to go to one of the best Universities in the nation entirely on an Academic scholarship. 

 

Meanwhile,  the particular reason that she was at the office late one night was one of the latest finds that the Agency had made which had caught Samantha's eye because it had a fully translated version of a book that she had been fascinated  by, but unable to translate it with the notes attached to it.  Along with another untranslated version of it that confirms that it is the same as the partly translated version. Which was something rare to find. Since fully translated books that are deemed to be of decent quality are quite rare. As most found are shoddily done, as they are extremely difficult to do properly. They are just as rare as the untranslated version was found that at most had some notes on it. But finding both the untranslated and translated copies at the same time meant that the translated version was more likely than not to be at least somewhat accurate (though there was not way to be entirely sure). Though several things helped confirm that fact, which include a translator key and the translators notes which have not only confirmed the authenticity of the translator version but also allowed Samantha to directly read some of the text. The translators notes stated that the book had spells in it of some sort and that what they did wasn't known Though she hadn't been able to fully understand it when a strange feeling starts to come over her and she then swiftly losses conscious before she was able to realize what exactly she was reading.

Even though she will never her nor the Agency will no for sure what happened, both will now that it is the result of a freak accident or more privately speculated  that it was a new type of magic that was created by the cult to protect their property that sends peoples souls into the past. Though it is never known if that speculation is true, as her death is labeled freak accident at a experiment to the public. Though internally her death is labeled a accident that resulted in negligence and new protocols about reading captured books. Though rumors and jokes persist about her death, she was missed and most though that she had died. With all but a few guessing or joking that reading a book wasn't enough to kill Samantha the women who had beaten so many otherworldly beings and that she was still alive somewhere. 

  Thanks for reading the first chapter, I hope you enjoyed it. Since I went overboard in setting the mood and mainly describing the scene and a brief description of Samantha and her past. So you don't have to worry about future chapters being so in-depth about particular details or spending this amount of time on describing one scene in particular. 

Bellow this is just me rambling about things.

The art is temporary (obviously), as I don't have the money to buy one, or the talent to create on myself that I would be comfortable using. But if for what ever reason what so ever, you decide that you want to draw one for me. I would be more than happy to use it and give credit.  So I guess that the basic one will have to do until I get a better one. 

Also the name may change if I think of a better one. Since I think that a better one could be found since the current one seems just generic.

So please leave a comment and tell me what you think as well as any suggestions you might have. Since I plan to have it be a series of cases that may or may not connect. That may get bigger in scope don't necessarily.

 

7