Chapter 1 ~ Flamespire city
157 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aerin (1)


Ash poured out of the mountaintop flying high up into the sky which descended slowly like charcoal colored snow coating the entire area. The Ash bellowed out of a mountain that sat at the apex of a large cluster of mountains.


Known to human peoples as Flamespire mountains they were the home to the fiercely isolationist Draakin people. Proud and noble they claimed to have the blood of dragons in them. Which was probably true considering all Draakin people had various features of what appeared to be dragons. This of course ranged from horns to sharp canine teeth to wings or tails.


The Flamespire mountains are quite the inhospitable place for most races of ppl, but the perfect place for the Draakin who lorded over the black stained mountains. Even Dwarf kind prefer not to build their mountain holds in this mountain range.


Aerin held out her hand small clawed nails that came to strong and sharp points at her fingertips.


With a small huff she couldn't help but scoff at the audacity at her own people trying to sell such a farce of a history to outsiders.


The reality was much different while it was true Draakin on some level were related to dragon-kind it had extremely varying degrees of purity and society had been broken up into a vicious and neigh impenetrable hierarchy. Only those who had wings were allowed to claim purity and the right to rule. Wings symbolized stronger blood and therefore the right to rule. While those without wings were considered related to dragon's lesser cousins the drake or wyvern. While wyverns had wings they were not true dragons and legend held they did not have pure enough dragon blood to pass the ability to be born with wings. Those with wyvern blood at most had foldable flaps that retracted into their sides and allowed them to glide.


Even still wyverns descendents were considered superior to drakes who lacked wings and often even the ability to harness flames. While drakes in theory came in many different breeds it was in the end at least by Draakin standards...inferior to the purity of flame and that of dragons.


Aerin was born into the lowest of lows even by drake descended standards. The features that could be found in her were claws and two small dragon horns that had a slight curve put of her head just above her temples. Her pupils were in the shape of a drake which was of a diamond that stood out from her yellow irises and sharp drake like teeth was thr extent to her "drake" attributes.


That was where her drag-... drake attributes ended. She lacked even a proper tail, her ears were slightly pointed by short unlike those with high purity who had long pointed ears and she lacked wings.


Despite that ignoring the prejudice most races of people would find Aerin very attractive, her hair was a deep sapphire blue that sat just above her shoulders. Her face was small and symmetrical she resembled a court woman of the far eastern human kingdoms which was not as common in

Draakin people. She was not tall nor short just the right height for most races.


All in all she would be considered a top beauty in most places even in Draakin society. However due to her blood she would never catch the glance of any upper echelon Draakin.


Aerin made her way towards the capital city of the Draakin aptly named FlameSpire city which was carved starting from the base of a mountain near the center of the Flamespire range.


The city took her breath away even from the still couple miles she had to trek to get to it. All the buildings were black designed with clay tiled roofs similar to that of the eastern kingdoms of humans. This was to assist in washing off the ash when the rains came.


Flamespire city was many hundreds of layers thick. It could house untold numbers of people likely hundreds of thousands with ease. At the pinnacle where the peak of the mountain ought to be was a palace carved put of the mountain stone. It by itself was massive and housed thousands of members of the royal bloodline and other high ranking families and their wards.


Aerin's own home town was based in one of the many valleys located throughout the Flamespire mountains. A small village that used the watershed of the mountains to grow rice and other foods.


Gripping her satchel Aerin couldn't hold in her excitement nor her nerves. For in three days was the solar eclipse festival which marked the annular eclipse which was said to be a sign from the birth of the Draakin race from the dragon god who first gave his immortal blood to the Draakin turning them into descendents of dragon's.


It was during this festival that all Draakin that were coming of age at sixteen regardless of position would participate in the three tests which would be essential in determining one's place in the hierarchy. It was possible that even those with supposedly low purity could be sponsored by noble families and improve their fortunes in life. All Draakin youth trained in various skills to impress not just the elites, but all the Draakin people.


Aerin took a sharp breath and exhaled as she continued to trudge forward her blue hair stained slightly by the ash fall. It was fairly busy on the roads to Flamespire as one got closer and closer more and more youths would be on the same paths this made the journey pretty safe overall since criminals and various monsters would not attack when there was so much traffic.


"It's time to change your fortune Aerin!" She thought to herself. Her parents had told her not to get her hopes up, but Aerin knew the only way she wouldn't be a farmer and could see the world was by impressing the noble class and proving drake descended were worth their attention.


*hmmph*


Aerin pumped her fists and entered into the the final stretch to the city gates.



"No means no girl." A gruff voice said firmly.


Before Aerin was a man wearing scaled armor his eyes looked at her unyielding.


Without flinching Aerin glared back at the man. "I never heard of a toll to enter a coty before! Especially one so high."


"The toll was recently announced. Now if you don't have the money, get out of here and let me get back to supervising people who can actually afford entry!" The man pointed in the opposite direction.


Aerin felt her anger rising "I have enough money, but if I pay this toll I cannot afford a room to stay in!"


"That isn't my problem! You peasants from backwater villages always feel entitled to not paying fair share then complain when you are not given more benefits." He huffed.


The words stung Aerin more than he knew. Poverty wasn't something anyone was proud of, but he made it seem like they chose that life.


"This-" Aerin struggled to find any words to speak as she searched her bag and pockets for any spare change she had at all.


"Sergeant may I know what is going on?" A deep charismatic voice came from behind the gatekeeper.


Aerin glanced around the sergeant only to be slightly surprised a man with large ram like horns and blonde hair stood behind him. His face was chiseled and heroic looking behind him was two large wigs and a long tail that just stayed off the ground.


Even though Aerin despised the hierarchy she had to admit winged Draakin truly did have a certain aura about them.


The sergeant quickly bowed lowly upon seeing the young man. "Milord Fenmiar! Nothing is the matter! This person here is just being escorted out due to not being able to afford the toll."


"Toll?" The handsome man named Fenmiar said questioningly "oh right! The stupid idea proposed by the third prince! Well it can hardly be helped. The law is the law!"


Aerin's heart sunk upon hearing those words. In her heart she felt he would help her despite her low status.


"Pray tell young lady! What brings you to Flamespire?" Fenmiar asked in a respectful tone.


Assuming his rank was high Aerin spoke in formal tone "Milord I am here for the solar eclipse festival. I turn sixteen in one day." Aerin gave a swift bow giving him as much respect as possible.


"Well amazing! Why didn't you just say so. All Draakin entering for this purpose are exempted from the third prince's toll." Fenmiar said lightheartedly.


Turning to the sergeant he placed his hand on the man's shoulder pauldrons. "Sergeant be sure to ask what business they have before rejection. Keep up the dutiful work."


Facing Aerin, Fenmiar gave her a charming smile "come with me! We will get you on your way. I will see to.it you find a decent inn."


Aerin never seen so many glares in her life. She was not aware who this Fenmiar was, but she was happy to meet him.


They made their way into the large city which was teeming with life and activity. Aerin felt completely out of place among the crowds and merchants.


Fenmiar looked at Aerin with an amused expression. "You are truly a country girl aren't you." He stated as if it was fact rather than a question.


Feeling her face flush slightly Aerin nodded. "My village is near the south eastern edge of the  mountain range. I have never even seen our regional city let alone such an immense maze-like city such as this."


Fenmiar smiled; he already clearly knew the answer; they arrived at a large three story inn that had entertainment courtesans sitting on the porch beckoning new young faces here for the festival. Gesturing to the inn Fenmiar grabbed her hand and gave it a light peck.


Aerin's hair on the back of her head stood up straight at the action. She could feel thousands of angry glares seem to pierce her body all at once.


It was considered taboo for a high born dragon descended to be too overly friendly with a low born drake user.


"Mi-mi-milord! Wh-what are you doing? This can be scandalous to a lady like myself and bring me only trouble." Aerin stuttered, her face beat red from embarrassment.


Fenmiar hand waved her objections "Do you think anything will happen beyond some disapproving stares? I look forward to seeing you at the ceremonial festival in two days… oh my I seem to have forgot the first rule of edicate! I am Fenmiar Sar'fae you may call me Fen."


Aerin bowed as was custom to those who had a higher station "Aerin Kil'ara it was nice to meet you Lord Fen and I hope you are not embarrassed by my performance in two days time."


"Oh I feel like I won't be! Good day Aerin Kil'ara." Just as he finished the words he did not linger any longer and walked down the street only to unfurl his wings and launch into the air rapidly going up the mountain city.


Aerin got a small room that had only a small washroom and bed with a nightstand. The room was gently lit with dragon spheres which were crystals imbued with fire to give off a natural warm feeling.


Flamespire so far had actually exceeded her expectations so far. All she had to do now was perform well. It seemed she may have a suitor of sorts.



The morning had a light rain which wasn't uncommon after an ash fall. The rain streaming down streets and off rooftops was stained black due to the ash from the previous day.


Aerin watched out her window listening to the soft tapping of the rain on the stone streets and tiled roof. There was something peaceful about the sound of rain. Aerin never could tell someone why she loved it only that she did.


With a sigh Aerin stood up and made her way downstairs from her room to the small pub portion of the inn. The innkeep was a monster of a man he lacked horns like most Draakin had, but he was Wyvern descended and had a large tail and could breath fire which is rare among the non dragon descended.


The fact he was so intimidating and large made Aerin question why he was not sponsored to be a warrior by a clan.


As Aerin pulled up a seat at the bar the man turned to her with a frown.


"Sorry missus, but I am not serving drinks to youngsters prior to the games tomorrow. I wouldn't want anyone to miss it with a hangover."


Aerin shook her head with a smile "no I was hoping you could tell me where the bazaar was. I was hoping to find some small trinkets to bring my parents back from the city.


"If that be the case. You will want to go to the six levels up from our own. That is where you will find the bazaar. Careful for scams miss it is not uncommon for merchants to prey on country folks from out of town." He gave a gentle warning as he washed a pint sized mug in his large hands.


"Thank you for the warning." Aerin bowed and made her way out of the inn.


The Flamespire mountains in spite of their name was a quite wet climate. The ash fall and frequent lava flows from various mountains is what gave them both their namesake and their riches.


The Draakin could for most part withstand immense heat of lava and designed their homes and cities to naturally redirect the lava down tubs below the water canals going directly into moats and veins beneath the city. 


It was this lava and ash that gave the Draakin immense trading power with other races. The fertile farmlands mixed with the precious metals spewed from the earth was a combo that made other peoples green with envy.


After walking for aime times Aerin came to the bazaar district. Whole ine could.find stores on all levels it was this level which functioned as the hub for all resident's of.the city. Even with the light rain the bazaar was packed and covered in various tarps making the rain nearly unnoticeable.


"Fire Grass root for sale!"


"Exotic perfumes from the far eastern kingdoms! Don't miss out on the latest trends!"


"Custom order weapons!"


Various merchants called out to passersby particularly high born as their physical natures screamed wealth or at least strong backing.


Aerin found a small stand with various small jewels and colored stones fashioned into jewelry.


"How can I help you, young one?" An older Draakin with a long well kept beard approached.


"I was looking for something for my mother. She loves green and was hoping to find a hair clip or necklace of some kind."


"A truly dutiful daughter! If only my grandchildren were as thoughtful." The man was clearly trying to break down her walls and flatter her.


Aerin eyes landed on a small green white hair pin that ended in the shape of an odd elongated dragon.


The merchant saw her looking and quickly grabbed it from behind his glass shelf. "This is a stone called jade primarily found in the far east, something it isn't rare, but crafting it is a tedious process."


"How much for it?" Aerin asked as he examined it. The look would compliment her mothers dark reddish brown hair.


"For you young miss ten crowns." The merchant said as he rubbed his hands together in anticipation.


Aerin froze for a moment before recomposing herself ten crowns was something she could afford, but it would eat nearly half the money she had left and she still needed money for her return trip.


"I am sorry I cannot do more than four crowns." Aerin said, shaking her head handing the jade piece back to the man.


"Aye! Don't be so hasty we can haggle! I can do seven crowns."


Aerin smiled inwardly she knew she had him where she wanted with her next offer.


"How about six crowns and you throw in that obsidian ring?" Aerin knew obsidian was not a precious stone, but her father was not a particularly picky man and would love to have a more inconspicuous item.


The merchant smiled slightly defeated. He did not notice that Aerin had been looking at the ring from the start, not just the jade piece.


"Girl if you ever need an apprenticeship you got one here! I will take that deal. Though you are forcing me to sell the ring at cost." 


The old man quickly packed up the two pieces carefully wrapping them and handing them to Aerin who bowed and put them into her satchel.


Aerin had learned to haggle properly as a young girl from some of the merchants who passed by annually through her village. Most of them knew her parents who bought their crops and sold them in various bazaars around the kingdom.


The city so far was far better than she expected everything was going far better than she ever thought was possible considering her drake lineage.

2