6. Attachment
295 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nora set two bowls of creamy vegetable soup on the table. “Here, eat up!”

Callie picked up the bowl and gingerly took a small sip.

“Whaddya think?”

The catgirl didn’t respond, at least not verbally. She looked at the witch, smiled, then began taking eager slurps from her serving.

Nora laughed, “I’ll take it you like it then. Once we’re done in here, we can see about brewing that potion for you.”

“Don’t we shtill need anyother ingredient?” Callie asked in-between mouthfuls.

“We have it already! The last ingredient is one fresh catgirl,”

Callie looked up in surprise. “Wait, I’m the last ingredient!?”

“Sort of,” Nora explained. “I just need a clipping of your hair or fur. That binds the potion to you and maximizes its effects.”

Callie relaxed. “Oh, okay. I thought you were going to try to boil me or something.”

“Nah. At least, not for this potion,” Nora smirked.

The two of them finished their dinners quickly, then cleaned up the kitchen to prep the potion-making. Nora worked on the potion base while Callie prepped the ingredients they had gathered together. The witch, of course, was more than happy to walk her through it.

“Pull the flowers off the stem first, then grind them into a paste,” They instructed. “Then slowly mix in the lunar cherry blossom sap. It’s done when the mixture is royal blue in color. We’ll add your clippings after the rest has cooked a little.”

The potion-making process was a nice distraction from Callie’s continuous assault of nasty comments. As soon as everything was added, the kitchen became enveloped in a crisp, sweet air. Callie took a deep breath, sighing happily.

Nora took a seat on the opposite end of the table. “Guess this is our last night together,” they said. There was a hint of sadness in their voice.

“I hope I’m not a criminal or anything,” Callie said. “I wouldn’t want you to get in trouble after all you did for me.”

“Hah! That’s a good one. You, a criminal? Sweetie, you don’t have an ounce of malice in you.” The witch chuckled to herself again before adding, “Even if you are, I’ll still be your friend. You can count on it.”

A smile formed on the catgirl’s face. “Thanks, Nora. I’m really glad it was you who found me in the woods.”

“Don’t mention it! It’s not like I was going to just leave you there.”

“Why not?” Callie asked out of curiosity. “Plenty of other people would ignore a stray. I mean, it’s not their business, and I don’t owe you anything, so-”

“Well, those other people can go and shove it. You were hurt and needed help, that’s all there is to it. Let’s leave it at that okay?”

Callie was beginning to sense a pattern in Nora’s words. “You have trouble saying what’s really on your mind, don’t you, miyaster?” 

 “N-no, I don’t! Just, grab that cheese cloth over there so we can strain out the solids.”

Apparently, “straining out the solids” meant pouring the contents pot through the cloth, then wringing out the liquid like you would a damp towel.

“And we’re done!” Nora announced, bottling royal blue liquid in a vial.

“This will bring back my memories?” Callie asked.

“I think so, at least based on everything you’ve told me,” Nora answered.

Callie took the vial and stared at it again. This was it. She’d remember her past after this, and then she could go from there. She removed the stopper, taking in the sweet scent of the concoction.

“Don’t have the courage,” A shadowy figure mocked, towering behind Nora. “You’ll never accomplish anything.”

No. Not this time. She was sick of running and breaking down every time she tried to help. “Y-you’re wrong!” Callie shouted.

Nora’s eyes went wide with worry. “Callie? Is it happening again?”

“Please don’t heal me, not yet,” Callie asked. “I need to face this.”

“You’re a fool,” the figure said with disdain. “You waste your time rolling around in the mud, learning worthless knowledge. And you have the gall to stand up against your own father!? I thought I raised you better.”

“Y-you aren’t my father!” Callie fought back. “Even if you were, I’m proud of who I am! You don’t own me! Get out my head!”

“Insolent brat! Perhaps I can still beat some sense into you.” The figure walked through the witch, one arm winding up for a punch.

Callie felt her hands shaking, but stood steady. “You’re not real! You can’t hurt me.”

“Oh, yes I can.” The figure’s shadowy hand lunged forward, transforming into a skin-tone fist aiming for Callie’s head. The catgirl’s eyes filled with fear, and she threw her hands up to block the blow.

“N-Nyoo!” The impact she was expecting never came. She was instead brought back to her senses by the sound of glass shattering.

“Spirit healing!” Nora chanted, casting their cleansing spell. “Callie, you alright?”

“Y-yeah, I can still stand. It’s not as scary as it was before. But, the potion…”

“It’s okay! We can always make more. I’m sorry I pushed you into drinking it after the other two attacks you’ve had recently.”

Callie shook her head. “No, I need to be able to face my fears. I can’t keep relying on you to keep saving me. I want- no, I need to get stronger so I can beat these monsters in my head.”

Nora pet her companion on the head. “How mature of you! I knew you were a good girl!”

“Hey, I’m being serious!” Callie pouted.

“I know, I know! You’re just so easy to tease. So, where do we start?”

“Huh?”

“Whaddya mean, ‘huh?’ You’re my apprentice! So I’m gonna teach you. That’s how this works.”

Callie fumbled, “No, you’ve already done so much for me! I can’t ask you to-”

“I don’t mind at all, kitten,” Nora reassured. “I actually like your company, believe it or not. I’m offering to help, as a friend. It comes with free food, clothing, and shelter…”

Callie giggled, “Okay, okay! If you’ll have me, I’d love to stay. But for the record, I’m nyot your housecat. I get to help out with the chores and stuff.”

“Deal!” Nora beamed. “So, what should our next lesson be?”

22