Chapter 4: Miscarriage
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey James. Why were you in the guard’s office? What’s this business you have?”

 

“Wow you sure are nosey aren’t you Derrick. Well actually I ran into Francis at the grocery store on Sunday (complete lie).”

 

“I paid for his beer (another lie).”

 

“He paid me back (the opposite happened).”

 

“Something tells me you are pinocchio but oh well. Let’s get down to business,” Derrick says.

 

*3:59pm*

 

“Well James it’s been a crazy day I’ll see you tomorrow buddy. Just close and lock the basement. Well you already know that haha.”

 

Derrick has a nasty habit of leaving 1 minute early. James uses this to his advantage. He’s the last one in the basement as usual.

 

The clock strikes 4 and James makes his way to the cabinet. He pulls out 2 syringes and puts it into his coat pocket. Then he sticks his usb into the computer and copies the software files. This takes half a minute. He closes the basement door and locks it with his key that's attached to his lanyard. He makes it up the stairs. He looks at his watch. 30 seconds to go. He makes it down the long hallway. 20 seconds to go. He’s full on sprinting towards the exit. That’s when one of the officers says “where the hell are you going in a hurry?”

 

“My wife is giving birth!”

 

“Congratulations buddy!” the officer says.

 

That’s when the unimaginable happens. James crosses the scanner at the exit but it goes off. 

 

“Stay where you are,” says one of the cops. 

 

“Damn it. This is no good” James says in his head.

 

A voice on the intercom says “he’s good.” It’s Francis on the intercom. “The scanners always beep at 29 seconds past 4:01pm.”

 

“What the hell. I had 1 second left. That’s insane” James thinks.

 

“Well okay James. Have a good day” the officer says.

 

James drives home. He can't stop smiling. He thinks of all the movies he's watched and he's basically comparing himself to James Bond. James places his hand over his coat pocket that has the 2 syringes. But then he can't feel anything. He starts getting nervous. 

 

James pulls into the driveway. He searches the car frantically. He checks underneath the seat. He even checks the glovebox. "As if it's going to be there," he mutters to himself. Finally he checks the rear passenger seats. Underneath the seat he feels both syringes. He breathes a sigh of relief.

 

"James, how was your day at work? his wife says. 

 

"Really stressful," he says as he can barely hold back his laughter.

 

"I know when you're lying mister. Tell me what happened."

 

"You know I can't say anything about work honey."

 

James' family finishes dinner. James steps outside and reaches into his pants to pull out his cellphone. He dials Thomas' number. 

 

"Well hello James. Did you actually?"

 

"Listen I can't say anything over the phone. Just meet me at graffiti tunnel in an hour."

 

"Fair enough. See you soon."

 

"Honey, I'm going to be spending some time with a friend. Make sure you read the kids their bedtime stories."

 

James drives to graffiti tunnel. He has the 2 syringes but this time he puts them in the passenger side glove box to avoid them rolling out of his shallow pocket. 

 

Thomas is early this time. James sees him looking at his phone. 

 

"What are you reading?" James says.

 

"Apparently the new James Bond movie comes out later this year."

 

James laughs as he remembers comparing himself to James Bond.

 

"Well anyway here's the syringes."

 

"Wow it looks like water. You are actually serious about this right?"

 

"I ask you for a favor for saving your life. Isn't that serious in itself," James says.

 

"I guess so."

 

"Let's make this quick. Basically I need you to buy syringes that look identical to these. Buy a lot of them. But I only need 2 syringes filled with this liquid by Thursday night so I have it ready for Friday's shift."

 

"Well that's cutting it short but I'll do my best." 

 

"James. Why 2 syringes."

 

"You are analyzing one or them right? I will need you to keep this other one safe for now."

 

"Alrighty," Thomas says.

 

The both of them walk their opposite ways. 

 

*Tuesday morning*

 

James walks through the front doors of the precinct. 

 

"How'd everything go James. Is it a boy or girl?" the officer says.

 

James is lost for words. He told a big lie and has to come up with something quick. He puts on a sad face.

 

"Actually it was a miscarriage. Doctors did everything they could do.”

 

"Well I'm sorry to hear that man. Listen, if there's anything I can do for you let me know."

 

"Thanks I appreciate it."

 

James looks down the hallway and sees 5 officers at the guard's office. Francis looks nervous. There's never that many officers there at one time. 

 

"So tell me Francis. Why'd you have $5000 in your locker?" says the tallest officer. 

 

Twice a month a search of everyone's lockers takes place. The searches are always random. James knew they searched the lockers on Sunday, but didn't actually think they'd search lockers 2 days in a row. So it was a stroke or bad luck that he gave the money to Francis the day they did another locker search.

 

"I'm using the money to buy a used car," Francis replies.

 

"Generally you aren't supposed to have that much money here. Alright you're free to resume working."

 

James was in the bathroom closest to them when he heard this. He breathes a sigh of relief. He exits the bathroom and makes his way into the basement.

 

"I'm so sorry man. I heard from Garrett that you're wife had a miscarriage."

 

"Yeah it sucks. I don't want to talk about it."

 

"You know if there's anything you need the precinct pays for it. I suggest talking to a therapist James. Miscarriages aren't a small deal. Therapists are covered in our employee benefits."

 

James doesn't say anything.

 

"Okay I get it. Just thought I'd let you know. Well anyways we are working another new case. Our suspect has assaulted a senior and stole her purse. He was caught a block away from the incident. Essentially they want us to figure out if he's committed other thefts."

 

"Let me guess. We are using the I.D.Tech?"

 

"Precisely. The suspect has requested a Perrier water. Says that's all he drinks."

 

"Wait a second. We basically catch him and he is making demands for a specific brand of water? Shouldn't criminals just get whatever we serve the?”.

 

"One of our guys is coming back from the convenience store. He should be here in 5 minutes."

 

"Whatever. Let's just do this."

0