Chapter 15
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I take a seat as far away from the angels as possible, at the far end of the row.

The view really is incredible, and I sit for a while just looking down at the crowd. Somewhere in the mass of bodies, Grace, Zee and Jamie are singing, dancing, probably crying (tears of joy, of course).

I'd love to spot them, but I know the chances are slim.

As I think of my friends, it dawns on me that since getting into the limo with Felix, I haven't messaged them even once. They have no idea that I'm even at the concert.

I try calling Zee first. Her phone rings for ages, and eventually I get through to her voice mail. When she doesn't pick up I try Jamie, with no luck.

It must be so noisy on the floor that they aren't hearing their ringtones.

Calling Grace isn't an option – she doesn't even have a phone.

Her parents think that cell phones equal sexting, which equals underage sex, which equals teen pregnancy, dropping out of school and a life turning tricks on the street corner.

It's amazing that Grace has turned out so normal when her parents are one step away from Amish.

In the end I send Zee and Jamie a quick text, although I doubt they'll see it before the concert is over.

I'm at the show. Level 3 suite 5. Come here asap. I met Felix. No jk. We can meet the whole band. COME HERE. SRSLY.

Before hitting send, I delete the part about meeting Felix. That's something I want to tell them in person, just so I can see the looks on their faces.

They'll get the surprise of their lives when I tell them we're going out for the evening with Fable.

Felix did tell me not to bring friends, but he won't be pulling the shots anymore after the show. Unlike Felix, the other guys are all super nice, and I'm sure they'll outvote him if he tries to stop Grace and Zee and Jamie from coming along.

Still, I just can't wait to tell the girls. I want to tell them now. I check Instagram in case Jamie's posted anything from the concert.

If there's some photo that shows where they are in relation to the stage, maybe I can get their attention. Even if it's too dark to see, maybe there'll be a clue.

The last photo Jamie instagrammed was over two hours ago, which is like a record time for her.

It's a selfie (of course), showing off her pink and lilac ombré lips and matching eye shadow, while Grace sits in front of the mirror brushing her hair in the background.

It has a gazillion hashtags and there are already hundreds of comments underneath.

I give up trying to contact them and turn my attention to the show.

The opening act is a Canadian band called Darkdream. They're good, but nothing compared to Fable. Once their set is over, I notice a lot of people dressed in black scrambling around on stage, checking lights and sound.

After what feels like forever, a hush runs through the crowd as a single pillar of intense white light pierces the darkness onstage.

From the videos I've seen on YouTube, I know that Fable concerts usually start off with something big – a countdown on a massive screen, a crazy light-show, pillars of stage fire.

You name it, they've done it, bigger, brighter and noisier than ever before.

Which is exactly what makes this so special. For at least ten seconds, nothing happens. The whole arena seems to be silent. Waiting. All eyes are fixed on the stage, drawn to the single beacon of light.

Out of the darkness, Felix's voice rings out.

The opening line of Déjà Vu hangs in the air.

I feel goose bumps rise on my arms as the pillar of light widens, spreads, and one by one, each of the boys is revealed. Felix stands dead centre in front of a mic, dressed all in black, with a dark velvet top hat and eyeliner to complete the look. On any other person, in any other setting, it would look totally ridiculous, but in the fantasy setting of a Fable show, it just works. Bathed in cold white light, he looks every bit the sardonic dark-hearted rock god he's publicized as.

Pity he's just as evil in real life.

Alastaire stands to his left, dressed all in white to match his silver-wings embellished white guitar. His burnished gold hair catches the stage light like some sort of halo. He winks at the crowd, and the stadium is filled with screaming.

Elliot is to Felix's right. With his alert posture, close-cropped brown hair and minimalist grey outfit, he looks more like a military cadet than a rock star. He stares stoically out at the crowd, holding his bass guitar like a weapon.

Lyall and Ben are to the sides, both grinning devilishly as the stage light envelopes them. Lyall's wearing a cute white and green striped jumper, a perfect contrast with his cinnamon reddish-brown hair and caramel eyes. He runs his fingers over the keys of his digital keyboard, while Ben twirls his drumsticks around in the air next to him. Ben's wearing his trademark bandana – black with a skull and crossbones print. His kid cousin gave it to him when he was visiting family in Japan, and he's worn it on stage ever since.

Ben slams his drumsticks down, and the arena explodes into music.

From that point onwards, I'm glued to my seat, spellbound by the show.

I can see why Beth got her dad to rent a suite. I've got a clear view of every single one of the guys, and I can hear every note without the imminent threat of getting trampled.

Perfection.

The boys go through all their big hits one by one.

From time to time they pause to speak to the crowd, joke around on stage, answer Twitter questions and dodge flying panties, bras and love letters.

During Alastaire's guitar solo in Destined Hearts, he jumps off the stage, and pulls a girl out from the crowd. He runs his fingers through her long honey blonde curls while serenading her. At the end of the song, she's led away by a guy dressed in black.

Minutes later, she's in our suite smiling like she's just won the lottery.

I guess that's the idea of a harem. The more the merrier.

The trio of angels watches her suspiciously at first, until she shows them her winged necklace.

Several group selfies later they're BFFs, swapping Instagram and Twitter details.

I wonder how this harem thing works.

Are they going to hang out with the whole band after the show, or just Alastaire? Will he take them somewhere? A restaurant, or maybe... a hotel room?

I try to be open-minded about most things, but the thought of what these girls are probably going to do with Alastaire (and maybe with each other) in the next few hours... it's not something I'd ever do with someone I barely know.

Not something I've ever done.

In fact, I've never even kissed a boy.

Talk about inexperienced.

0