Chapter 7: Answers of Origin
35 5 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Abandoned Aviation Museum Present Day

Kai had many questions swirling around in his head. One in particular though needed more attention than the others. “So wait, wait, it sounds to me like Kokona and I being partners was in the works a lot longer than just a few days ago.” 

Klein nodded. “A few days after you entered Chimera Academy, we were visited by Haruka’s grandmother. Turns out she and your mother were good friends, and a promise was made. If it turned out that any of the future generations gained the power of their ancestor, then a powerful glamour would be used to make sure it didn’t get into the wrong hands. Well, you can guess the result...”

Huh...ancestor?” Kai sat up slowly as his limbs finally started to work again. 

Klein sighed deeply. “Can you walk? If I’m going to explain this, I need to show you something.”

Kai nodded slowly as he awkwardly kicked his feet over what he now realised was the examining table he’d been lying on. With Kokona’s help he got to his feet. She helped to stabilise him, holding his arm as he used her for support. “T..thanks, I think I got it.” Kokona released his arm as he took a step forward then began to follow Klein.

The two walked down a short corridor to a small door connected to a scanner. Klein took the badge he was wearing around his neck and pressed it to the scanner. It made a soft hum before Kai heard the mechanical click of the door unlocking. Klein moved his hand over the handle and opened the door slowly, beckoning Kai to go in first.

It almost seemed like an illusion—the outside of the room was so small no one would have ever guessed that through the door there was an entire library. The decor looked quite expensive, too. The flooring changed from plain looking white linoleum tile, to a nice red wood with a dark finish. Their feet made a soft tapping sound as they walked across it. Along the front of the room were expensive looking chairs that looked more like thrones. Hanging on the wall above the bookshelves was a painting encased in a gold frame. It depicted a middle-aged man in grand robes and what looked like a hat with an orange sun. 

This is the organization’s most important room—the library of the order,” Klein explained as Kai heard the door shut behind them.

As Kai stepped closer, he noticed the plaque under the large painting. VOIVODE Vlad Drăculea circa 1448-1476. Kai turned to Klein, a confused look plastered on his face. “Vlad the Impaler...what the hell do I have to do with him?”

Above the painting was a large metal shield with the impression of a cross and flames. Kai knew from history that this was the mark of the “Order of the Dragon,” but there was also something different—two impressions of a feather on each side of the cross. Kai raised an eyebrow before looking back at Klein. “You said something about an ancestor. He was Romanian or something, right? A cruel Romanian war leader.” 

The man known as Klein shook his head as he sat down. “Not quite. The first thing you have to realise Kai, is that Vlad’s home was at war. Things were in complete chaos with ideas of conquest and pillage. At the time we’re talking about, they were in danger of being conquered by the Ottoman Empire.” Kai nodded as he listened to the story. “Let me ask you something, Kai. Do you know what the whole point of the company is?” he asked. Kai thought for a second as the room suddenly went quiet.

Wow, I thought he would have had an answer right away,” came a voice from the doorway. A girl who seemed to be about two or three years older than Kai came in, running a hand through her shoulder-length black hair. “So what, the Kai I’ve heard so much about has no answer? That’s disappointing.” Klein gave the girl a disapproving look.

Makoto, be nice. Give him a minute.” 

Kai looked at the girl as he crossed his arms. “The point is to protect humans from the supernaturals that want to cause problems.” The girl gave a snobby little chuckle as she rolled her chocolate brown eyes. “You’re half right.” 

Klein interrupted. “The real purpose behind the organization goes back to his day, to his guards and army, known as ‘The Silver Fang.’ They were entrusted with protecting the Voivode, especially after the pact.” Klein’s tone grew serious, which made Kai wonder even more. 

What pact?” Kai asked.

When the war had left Vlad with no other option, he made a deal with an ancient creature—one with immense power. He asked to gain the power to protect his family and his people. However, the creature he called upon was trickster. Though it made good on its word, it added a subtext. Half of his army went through a maddening transformation, turning against and eventually killing Vlad, who was contorted and brought to madness.” 

At that moment, Kai had a revelation which made everything click. “You mean the night-walkers and the day-walkers!” 

Klein gave a slight nod. “Now let me ask you this. The war was won before Vlad was killed. He had an advantage—how do you think that could have been?” 

Kai probably would have laughed had he seen himself in the mirror at that moment. He was dumbfounded, but eventually found his answer. “The original vampire...was a day-walker!” 

The girl stepped up, crossing her arms over her chest. “Look who’s finally caught up,” she said as a smirk tugged at the corner of her lips. It was clear she was trying to get his goad, but at the moment, Kai was too distracted with another question.

So, if it’s been the day-walkers against the night-walkers, why is it that we’re coming up against both?” This time Klein gave a little chuckle which almost irritated him. 

Times change, Kai. Nationalities, and even species, blend. Ideas shift. The night-walkers had this campaign against the Voivode to make the humans fear him. They are the ones who spread the rumor's that he would brutally impale his enemies. Alliances and courtships were made, and branches broke off, until eventually we came to the state of the world we have today.” 

Kai nodded as the realization sank in, but one question still nagged at him. “What does all of this have to do with me?”

Klein rubbed the bridge of his nose, but before he could respond, the girl known as Makoto chimed in. “Because, genius, you’re the living relative who was born with his power!”

Kai looked Klein, then at Makoto, then back at Klein.

Wh..what?!” 

Makoto rolled her eyes. “It’s a good thing his blood is our best weapon, ‘cause he’s not too bright.” Kai growled, baring his fangs slightly as the girl feigned fear by putting her hands up in the air.

Remember what I said, Kai. Times change; refugees, immigrants, and nationalities mix. It only takes one original to carry on DNA. After generations, the Drăculea family made their way here to Japan and here you are.” Klein stepped a little closer to Kai. “It’s believed that the living descendant will tip the scales and swing the pendulum in either the direction of the humans or the vampires.”

Something about that statement left a bad taste in Kai’s mouth, and the phlegm in the back of his throat stung slightly. Not because it was a lot of pressure, but because he didn’t like the idea of choosing one over the other. Klein must have seen the look on his face because he suddenly gave a sympathetic smile. 

You don’t have anything to worry about—the last thing we want is to commit genocide. Remember what Mai always says, ‘If they aren’t causing trouble, leave them alone.’ After the war, and even during, Vlad lived by that very code.” Kai nodded as he gave this reassurance, but there was a darkness in his eyes as he looked up at the man.

But at some point, the choice may be taken out of my hands...” his voice was low as he sunk a little further into his chair. For the first time, he felt like predestined fate was actually a real thing. He looked down at his hands and sighed.

Look Kai, in the end it’s you who makes the decision. Screw fate, screw the legend—all of it—it’s you and you alone.” 

Kai shook his head. “Thanks, but I just need to think for a while.” 

Klein nodded slowly as he left Kai to his thoughts, closing the door behind him. Me, huh? How is that even fair? he wondered. Suddenly he felt a sharp pain in his face as a hand swung across, slapping him back to reality. Makoto was glaring at him, her mouth contorted into a frown. 

Are you freakin’ kidding me?” she growled. “This is the Kai I’ve heard so much about that it’s actually started to make me sick? Snap out of it right now or I’ll smack the blue right out of your eyes!” She knew her threat made no sense, but she didn’t care. She was livid and she was going to let him know. “I’ve always heard that you don’t really follow rules. You aren’t a crazy risk taker, but you take things into your own hands and make them go your way! Klein just said it’s up to you, so buck up and figure out your next move, dammit!” She reeled her arm back to go for another swing at his face, but his arm shot up and her hand caught his forearm. He looked up at her and grinned.

So, what you’re saying is, you believe I’ll make the right choice if I just stop dwelling.”

She nodded slowly. “Well, yeah. You’re Kai Hinata, right? You really think it’s just your blood that makes you the top hunter? I was just poking fun at you. From what I’ve heard, the reason your top hunter is because you do what needs to be done and you don’t worry about the small stuff. Don’t content yourself with a supporting role or a pity party, you got that?” She pointed her index finger at him, then her frown turned into a smile and she gave him a thumbs-up.

Kai picked himself up out of the chair and nodded. “All right then, if that’s the case I’d better go!” he said as he turned towards the door.

Turning the knob, he opened the door to see Kokona standing there with her arms crossed. “So, you let someone other than your partner get you out of your funk, huh?” She reached out and flicked him in the middle of the forehead causing him to rub his head. 

Yeah, well that’s what you get for staying back and slacking on the job. Let’s go,” he said as he ushered Kokona out the door, leaving Makoto alone.

There’s still more you need to know, she thought to herself. Klein stepped into the doorway looking over at her. “You wanna tell him?” Makoto crossed her arms. “It would only be fair you know, he deserves to know.” 

Klein nodded. “Okay, but by that logic, don’t you think he deserves to know your secret as well?”

Makoto glowered at him. “That’s different and you know it!” she growled as a spark of energy erupted from her fingertips. Glowering at him she let the spark jump from her finger, hitting the floor just in front of his feet causing him to jump a bit. 

Okay, if you wanna tell him, go right on ahead—maybe you’re right,” he said, stomping out the small spark on the floor. 

She got to her feet, walked towards the door, and pushed him aside. “Yeah, I am.”

1