[Chapter 1] A terrible first day (1)
25 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The bell rang in the entire facility. The bunch of students, from various ages, all got up and bowed toward the speaker. All of them had a similar blue outfit, but there were some slight variations, especially for girls who had a more slim outfit. The biggest difference one could see was the colorful crest they all had on their chest. It represented their classes. Even the speaker, who was largely taller than all the people in front of him, had a similar outfit even though he had no crest.

 

If you asked someone about the meaning of that crest, they would only say “it is to assign people to different classes, without any ulterior motives.” While everyone began to leave the immense room, full of prideful banners and decorative pieces of furniture, some began to chat between each other, typically to make acquaintances with their future classmates, while others rushed to the cafeteria before no food was left.

In that cacophony was a little boy. He was smaller to his peers, not by a great degree, but definitely a noticeable difference. His black hair was messy, and his lifeless eyes could make one think that he has already departed his body. Just like the others, he had a similar outfit, except that his crest was less brightful than the others, by a lot.

That boy was Eilam, a country boy of humble origins, he was neither great nor bad, he was average. Maybe it is why he got assigned to the class 4, even though the school will refute that it has any link with his capabilities.

 

Finally beginning to walk on that polished wooden floor to go toward the exit, he got savagely blocked by two troublesome people.

 

“Got a minute for us ?” They were both intimidating figures, taller than him, having a voice more powerful than his. In fact, they also had a more brightful crest, meaning that, even though it was not official, they were more powerful than him. The one who talked had a beard barely covering his face with hairs that were perfectly cut and sublimated by greenish eyes. 

 

“S-Sure…” To avoid any trouble, he quickly responded to that towering figure. They both were instantly pleased with that behavior of his and made him follow him outside, toward a less populated area.

They finally arrived at a place where a shadow was formed by a gigantic tree that seemed to touch the sky, with a building of the facility completing that already large shadow, making it cover every speck of that area.

 

“We’ll get straight to the point, show us your ability” The other was the one who initiated the conversation this time, compared to his peer, he was slightly out of shape, with blue eyes and whitish hair.

 

Intimidated by his voice but also wanting it to finish quickly, he lifted his hair to chest height and a sudden outburst of wind hit the chest of the speaker, doing absolutely nothing to him.

“That’s...FUCKING USELESS !? HOW COULD YOU PASS THE ENTRANCE EXAM ?” Said the one who got hit, clearly baffled by the weakness of that power. “Hey Henry, shall we seek another one ? This one is so lame we couldn't even use him to train ourselves.”

Henry answered directly.

“Don’t say that Jacob, he might be useful” Answered in an authoritarian tone the tallest figure out of the three. Meanwhile, Eilam was there, powerless and listening to them, ashamed of himself and his ability.

It’s true that he had a hard time passing that entrance exam, barely passing thanks to him begging to the institutors. He had come all the way to this city to improve himself. Therefore, he didn’t want to fail before the beginning. It may be a shameless act for someone but for him it was determination.

 

“Look at me” said Henry while crouching a bit to be at his eye level. “Would you like to join us ? We are trying to make a group of students that can help each other, be it with practice or homework”

Seeing this as an opportunity to make friends and maybe better himself he nodded his head, slightly joyful.

“Great ! We will have a meeting tonight with all the other members in the cafeteria, around 8 pm, most of them are people we knew before entering here, I hope you will integrate well with them” Said Henry after seeing the silent answer of Eilam, immediately departing with Jacob, both of them waving him goodbye, albeit some reluctance could be seen in Jacob hand motion.

 

After calming himself a bit, the joy slowly enveloping his being, he began walking toward the cafeteria. At first, he thought that they were going to bully him or make him do some illegal thing for them, but he was surprised seeing them acting so nicely to him even considering his noble origins, they were truly good pearls out there. At least, it was his current thought.

 

The path to the cafeteria was a simple one, walk while following the rock path, until you see a large building with an eagle banner. For the school, the eagle was a predator that quickly attacked and devoured its prey, because of that, they chose to pay a tribute to this being. The walls were all made of a glass material, making both students from the inside and the outside to see each other.

They were students everywhere, girls and boys walking here and there, chatting with each other. While there was a lonely figure in between all of them. It didn’t sadden him a lot since he managed to already made two friends on the first day.

 

Finally arrived in front of the entrance, a school staff scanned his crest with a blue stone and gestured to him that he could enter. Inside, he took a plate and followed the movement that every other student in the same position at him was making. Slowly but surely adding more and more food inside his plate, with some sweet things in bonuses.

 

Having his whole plate filled up, he sat in the farthest and emptiest table he could find. It was not really a social behavior if you’d ask him, it was more that he wanted to find peace while eating. He took his knife in his left hand while grabbing the fork in his right, instantly digging in the food in front of him. He had never seen something like that but because of the school popularity, he was sure it was delicious.

 

“It’s delicious ! The softness of the meat perfectly added itself to these green vegetables' taste” His thoughts were filled with praise for that delicious meal he was absolutely butchering with his rude manners of a country boy.

 

Suddenly, a person approached him, even if he didn’t notice it because he was too concentrated on his food. That girl had a similar crest to the two friends he made. She had long blonde hair that stopped themselves around her waist, with beautiful dark eyes that had a hint of reddishness inside of them. She sat without asking for permission and opened her mouth.

 

“This food is disgusting, how can someone eat that ?” She didn’t particularly attack him with that sentence, it was more of a general idea, but nonetheless, he started to reduce his speed upon hearing that, his heart beating faster because of the stress.

 

“I-I don’t t-hink it’s that bad, I e-enjoy it. '' While speaking, he stuttered a bit. It was not a physical problem he had, but more a consequence of the stress she had put on him. The fact he said it between two bites made it even more difficult to understand, but she somehow managed to do it.

 

“What a strange fellow, he seems to be a loner and can’t even speak properly...perfect.” When she finally aligned her thoughts, she opened her mouth.

 

“I’m Alyna, currently in class 2, you are ?” Her sequential wording made it seem like she had no time to spare.

 

He lifted his head while having a little bit of sauce in the corner of his mouth and replied.

 

“I’m Eilam. I’m from far away but managed to pass that school exam, I got in class 4” He was pleased to be able to exchange a bit with someone else, but what he didn’t know was that each word he said that she deemed “useless” were irritating her. However, she hid it perfectly.

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you !” Her voice was angelic and seemed to be the purest form of innocence in the world. She then extended her arm to make a handshake to him. Even his country brain understood that and, cleaning himself a bit before, shook her hand while having a smile appearing on his face.

 

“With that dumb maggot here, I could rise in popularity… Everything is perfect” She smiled back to him, but clearly for not the same reason.

 

They both ate their plate, even if Alyna was taking a tinier and tinier bite. Of course, he finished the first and waited for her to finish. He thought that it was a gallant act to do so. They chatted a bit, of the future classes, their classmates, well, mainly Alyna ones since he had really met anyone of his class.

When they both finished their meal, they departed from the cafeteria and headed in the courtyard. Since it was the first day, the students were mostly free, except some who had taken special options like real battlefield training where they had to immediately go see their teacher to listen to him explaining the absolute rules in a battlefield.

 

Students rapidly noticed the dark figure of his accompanied by her shiny figure, creating some chatter in there. He didn’t notice them, mainly because it was most important to him to hold a conversation with her. However, for her, she did notice them and she was greatly pleased.

 

They both spent their times outside, walking or talking while being seated on a bench. Quickly, that ball of fire let his neighbour control, letting the sky become as dark as a bottomless pit.

“...And that’s how I knew how to feed pigs thanks to my father” Eilam was immersed in his whole story and didn’t even see the disgusted look that Alyna was making. In fact, if she hadn’t seen the benefit of it, she would have long ago told him to go away from her and never come back. Noticing that he had finished, she opened her mouth.

 

“It’s a great story ! However, it’s starting to get late, see you tomorrow Ei…” She had forgotten his name because until now, she was only referring to him as “you”, it should have been a major red flag for him, but he simply said “Eilam. You’re right, see you tomorrow Alyna !” His naive smile made her want to vomit but she didn’t lose her composure and walked away rapidly.

 

Spotting that it was around 8 pm, thanks to his country boy skill, he walked all the way back to the cafeteria. Right now, the window-like walls were all opaque, making it especially difficult to see through them. He saw both of his friends, Henry and Jacob, in front of the main door, waiting for him certainly. He began rushing toward them while making a hand gesture.

 

Jacob noticed him and a smirk appeared on his round face, but he quickly hid it away and made a hand gesture too.

When he arrived, he was told to open the door first, didn’t understanding why, but also not knowing if that was a relevant question to ask, so he did as asked. He slowly pulled the door knob to open it and took a step inside.

 

Instantly, a violent and massive force came in contact with the top of his head, making blood come out and his body fell on the floor. By some miracle he was still conscious. Because he was laying on the chest, he couldn’t see his attacker, but if he was able to he would see five people, counting both Henry and Jacob, with one of them having a round shaped vase in his hands, lightly stained by his blood.

 

“Henry, this one should be for you since I absorbed the last one.” Said Jacob in an uncaring manner. Henry made his way while closing the door behind him and stopped in front of him, crouching in front of an injured Eilam. Slowly grabbing his hair.

“You know what I despise the most ? Pathetic people that can’t do anything to fit their surroundings” He smashed EIlam head on the floor on time, breaking his nose and making blood splattered everywhere. The sudden pain made Eilam lose any thought he could form in his mind, he was like an empty shell, the stress and the physical pain were slowly killing him.

 

“In this world, it’s the strongest who decide, sadly you learnt it too late, bug” He smashed it a second time with an unreal strength that made his jaw dislocate. Tears could be seen slightly forming in the corner of his eyes. Henry let go off Eilam’s hair, making his head fall in a pool of his own blood. He wanted to scream but strangely, even though he was sure his voice was getting out, no sound could be heard.

 

Then he lifted his hands to aim at him. Suddenly, reddish lightning came into existence, enveloping Eilam's body. The pain was immeasurable, as if each single atom of his was ripped apart. After was could be one minute for them but a whole eternity for him. He disappeared, he got disintegrated and absorbed by Henry, helping him become more powerful.

He died in an instant.

 

He fell, he fell a long way, a terrible long one.

It was so long that he thought for a second that he was just imagining things.

Until he came in contact with an invisible floor, smashing his whole body against it. Awkwardly enough, there was no pain, nothing. In fact he couldn’t even feel the floor after the initial impact. Lifting himself up, he noticed that his body was the same as a minute ago, with stains of blood still on his attire but in a strange ethereal feeling to it, as if everything could pass through it right now. 

 

“Where am I ?” His voice resonated in that empty space. There were no walls, no roof, no floor, nothing. Only an eternal darkness frightening him with a sense of hopelessness. He finally turned himself to face the only direction he hadn’t inspected and something surprised him.

There was in front of him a gigantic black stone. No, gigantic was not enough to describe it, infinite would be more fitting. It extended so much he couldn’t see the top or the bottom of it. Then, without any prior notice, light began to appear in front of him, seemingly forming letters on that supreme stone.

 

“What is this ? How could something so big exist ? What is this light ?” His thoughts were racing but no one could answer him. Furthermore, it was also his simpleminded brain that made him not realize he had actually died. He didn’t forget the pain, never would he, but he was just like that, right now, he was more preoccupied by the strange thing in front of him.

 

When the light finished to write, he read the following :

 

“Weak wind manipulator”

“Did the stone just write about my ability ? How did it manage to know ? And why does it say “weak ?” After some thought, he answered to the latter “Well, it may be right, my power can hardly rival anything…” That though made him depressed a bit. After some time, he noticed that these words were written in a blueish flashy color. However, the lights didn’t stop there and continued to write just above it. Again it took several seconds for Eilam to finally let him read it.

 

“Death shall not scare you”

When he noticed the word “death” tears instantly formed and he fell down, crying in all out manners. He could recall the pain, he could recall the sadness, he could recall his disillusion. It took him some longs minutes to get over his issues and even then, it was only barely, the liquid that his eyes were making still streamed down his face. After staring at the stone, the lights began to move again. This time, above the last sentence. He also noticed that in the process, that last one was written in a goldish color.

 

“Your essence has bad taste”

 

That last one legitimately made him escape a little laugh out of his mouth. How ironic for that stone to describe him as having bad taste when he liked eating the most.

“I’m not even good to eat ? What a joke…” His self-deprecation that was a habit of his made him laugh, making disappear for a bit the tears that were setting home on his cheeks. After that, the lights disappeared, letting him see that goldish color embedding the last sentence. They reappeared again but this time, not above the last one, but on the only blue one. The one that describes his ability. After they began to glow stronger than ever, blinding him for a few seconds, he saw a change in these words

“Strong wind manipulator”

 

“Did it...Just changed my description ?” He was doubtful. However, because he didn’t have any other choice, he simply brushed it off.

Before he had any time to think anyway, he fell down, again, exceptionally fast. As if he fell into the deepest pit of hell, seeing massive scenery unfold in front of him.
.
..
...
The sound of the bell rangs...

0