Vol. 1 Chapter 1: The Portal
39 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I never thought that there would be a day when my brother would go missing. Up until one day, he had always been there. It started just like any other day. I woke up in the morning, got dressed, ate breakfast and the two of us walked to school together. When we were together like this, it was easy to tell that he was a bit taller than me. The two of us had the same eye color, which was green and we both had light brown hair. His was much shorter than mine though.

My own hair reached my shoulders. His was just about the normal length for a guy. Since it was spring, the sun was shining brightly. The mornings were usually pretty warm. It was just the two of us for a while and then suddenly, someone ran up behind us. It was my brother’s best friend, Matt.

“Good morning!” he yelled.

I turned around to face the tall boy with short dirty blonde hair and green eyes. 

“Do you have to be so loud every morning?” I asked.

“Sorry, Mona.” he said, “Just wanted to make sure you’re awake.”

“It’ll be hard to tell if I lose my hearing because of you.” I replied.

“So, Ken,” he said, tapping my brother on the shoulders, “did you like that comic book I let you borrow?”

“I’ve been so busy.” answered Ken, “I haven’t been able to read it.”

“It’s always about work with you, isn’t it?” asked Matt.

“And you never do any work.” I responded, “You always copy off of Ken.”

Things are usually like this in the morning. My brother and I walk and then Matt shows up and goes off about whatever he’s thinking about that day. Sometimes I really wish he would just shut his mouth, though. It usually wouldn’t take much longer for my best friend, Vera to join in. Thankfully, she’s nowhere near as loud as Matt is. She’s about my height, has blue eyes and blonde hair that’s a little bit longer than mine.

“G-good morning.” she said, when we found her on the way to school.

“Morning.” I said.

After that, Matt sighed.

“I don’t wanna take a test today.” he complained.

“Maybe you should consider studying sometime?” suggested Ken.

“But that would require WORKING.” complained Matt.

“Um…” started Vera.

“Don’t worry about him.” I said, “He’ll be fine.”

It seemed as if this morning was the same as every morning. I thought we would continue doing things like this, but fate seemed to have other ideas. A huge blue portal suddenly appeared in front of us.

“W-what the!?” exclaimed Matt.

“Stay back!” shouted Ken, getting in front of us.

“Ken!” I exclaimed, “What are you doing!?”

“W-what’s going on?” asked Vera.

“Augh!” yelled Ken, as he seemed to be getting sucked into the portal.

“Ken!” I yelled.

“I’m… sorry.” he said.

I spent the next several minutes screaming at him and reaching out for him, hoping to save him. However, I wasn’t able to grab hold of his arm. He ended up getting sucked inside of that portal, which suddenly disappeared. The three of us just stood there, not even sure of how to react to what happened.

“W-what was that!?” yelled Matt.

“Matt, you don’t need to shout.” I said.

“I… uh…” started Vera.

“I’m just as confused as you are.” I replied.

“What should we do then?” asked Matt.

“I… don’t know.” I said.

“Did anyone else see?” asked Vera.

“That’s a good question.” I replied.

If we told anyone about what happened, would they believe us?

3