Chapter 3: Crossing Paths
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3: Crossing Paths

 

There was a sound of footsteps thudding against heavy soil rapidly, heavy breathing, and leaves which crunched loudly under even the lightest of weight.

“Liwei Forest... sucks.” Yin panted heavily.

His breath clouded in front of him in the cold.

“Is it gone?” Yin asked, looking backward.

His question was met with a loud roar and the snapping of tree branches.

Yin flinched.

“Tch! I wouldn’t have to deal with this if Liwei Fog hadn’t rolled up the mountain. I can barely even see in front of me, how the heck can this thing even find me?” Yin asked, starting to run.

In the thick fog, Yin ran straight down a steep incline and tripped.

“Ah! What the-! Ow! Ow! Ow!” Yin yelled, tumbling into a small arena-like area.

“Tss! That hurt. Where the heck am I?” Yin asked, looking around frantically.

“An arena? I don’t see any way out of here, either. What is this place?” Yin asked.

A low, rumbling growl came from behind him.

Yin swiveled backward as a large, silver furred, wolf-like creature appeared from the deep fog.

It walked up to him, slowly, until their faces were almost touching.

“Good Dog?” Yin asked, smiling nervously.

The wolf creature raised its head in the air. It let out a loud howl which echoed across the entire arena.

As the last echo of the howl faded, it lowered its head back down and opened its eyes.

“Young boy. What is your name?” The Wolf asked. Its voice was a deep rumble that shook the earth with every word it spoke.

“Y-yin. I’m Yin… Wait, you can speak?!” Yin exclaimed.

“Mm. Indeed I can. I’m Garmr, the wolf guardian of southfog.” Garmr replied.

“Garmr? You don’t mean… The legendary beast that fought alongside the hero, Zane?!” Yin asked.

“You know of me? I thought that part of history had been mostly forgotten. Interesting.” Garmr mused.

“What are you doing here?” Yin asked.

“That’s what I should be asking you. You were the one who decided to intrude. This is my territory.” Garmr said.

“O-oh. Right. Sorry, I didn’t know. I got lost in the fog.” Yin said.

Garmr snorted.

“Why are you in this forest to begin with? You have absolutely no strength to speak of. It’s a wonder you aren’t already dead. What in Liwei made you think coming to this mountain was a good idea?” Garmr asked.

“I’m here to find the Holy Sword,” Yin said firmly.

“...The Holy Sword, you say? What makes you think you can find it? Hundreds of thousands have searched, to no avail. And why do you search for such a powerful relic? What use is the sword to a boy as young as you?” Garmr wondered.

“That…” Yin mumbled.

“Hmph. So you have no reason. Foolish.” Garmr said.

Yin shook his head.

“I do! I do have a reason!” Yin shouted.

“Then tell me, boy. For what reason do you seek the Holy Sword?” Garmr asked.

“For strength. I want to be able to protect my family.” Yin said.

“Haaah. The sword is not the strength you should seek then, boy.” Garmr sighed.

“What… What do you mean? The sword can make me stronger, can’t it?” Yin asked.

“Yes, it can. But that strength comes from the sword, and the sword alone. None of that strength is yours. Even if you can get stronger with the sword, the moment it leaves your grasp that strength is gone. Not to mention that there are requirements to wield the Holy Sword in the first place. Someone like you, without any training, won’t be able to even hold the sword as it is right now without getting injured.” Garmr said.

“I have training,” Yin said.

“Oh? How much experience do you have, then? How long has this “training” of yours been going on for?” Garmr asked.

“Um. I don’t remember. At least a few weeks. And I don’t… Exactly… have any experience.” Yin said.

“Weeks?! And you made it this far in the forest without dying? What kind of technique are you practicing?” Garmr wondered.

“This,” Yin said, taking up his stance.

“That… I see. Boy, do you have any clue what that technique is?” Garmr asked.

Yin shook his head.

Garmr smirked.

“Then I guess I can show off a little bit,” Garmr said.

A white glowing light came from Garmr’s fur and started growing brighter and brighter. The outline of the wolf started to distort and wobble, eventually becoming humanlike in shape.

After a few seconds, the white glow shattered.

Where a wolf had once stood there was now a girl with snow-white hair.

The girl immediately collapsed to the floor, unconscious.

0