Smart Choices
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Actions speak louder than words, but failure speaks louder than results as well. So many opposites that are so finely connected to each other you can't separate them.

In a world where there are superpowers, however, everything is possible and even more so when your superpower is separation. That is the ability of young Orion, the ability to separate.

Whether it is the fabric of space and time or a common household item, he can dismantle it to pieces. Whether it is the connection between life and death, he can smash it to pieces just as fine as some random star that pissed him off.

But, immortal is he was, omnipotent as he appeared to be, he still had his limitations. As a small example, not even he would dare to interfere with something that was closely connected to his mind, so the same wouldn't happen for the rest either.

If there was a weak point in his ability, it was that separating the effect from happening to everything was incredibly hard. He had to be extra careful when destroying a random star to not spread the effect to other stars next to it, or even the whole galaxy!

At one point he wondered what would happen if he just went crazy one day. Could he end everything and everyone? Could he make everyone immortal?

The first realisation that this was not possible came when he tried to remember how he had made himself immortal. He simply tried to sever the connection between life and death, but he didn't specify it at all. Shouldn't everyone had become an immortal?

It turned out that some concepts couldn't be simply severed. They had resistance to his ability, something he didn't realise for as long as he'd used his powers. He seemed pretty annoyed by that since those resistances were also the way he was manipulating his powers, but at least he knew that ending the universe with his powers was not possible.

But as the years passed, he grew bored of his normal day to day life. He felt like he wasn't using his power to its fullest potential, nor had he met anyone like him. Sure there were a few powerful individuals that had the same feelings as him, but none at the same scale.

One day, however, he saw a chance to change his normal life. He met a kid, an unusual kid with almost no power struggling to survive in a dog eat dog world.

He was a teacher so of course he would meet a lot of kids, it was a given. He had met geniuses that had no rivals on their generation as well as ones who seemed like they would go far but didn't amount to anything in the end.

He went to speak personally to the kid in some kind of hunch but didn't have his expectations up. With the high point of view he had concerning the world of power, something able to surprise him or live up to his expectations was as rare as a living Pheonix, and those guys were already extinct.

"Well, my power is to absorb stuff and create something with that... but it is at such a weak level my dream is just that... a dream." The kid explained. He explained further on about how he wanted to grow powerful enough to create a world where he could revive his friend since this one didn't allow it.

He didn't know he was speaking with probably the only person that had the power to accomplish what he wanted, but it was what made it all the funnier.

He wanted to train his ability and grow stronger, and use that to grow even stronger till he reached a point where everything was possible. The two got along pretty well after that conversation, but Orion just wanted to see how far the kid would go. He was not surprised by the kid, nor his powers, but he couldn't say he wasn't charmed by his personality.

So he took it up to himself to provide some coaching for the young kid. Roil turned out to be up to the task and for the first time in a long while, Orion found something he enjoyed doing.

But that didn't last for long. As all good things have an end, so did he. He died at some random dungeon, like some random adventurer, with nothing in his name, having accomplished nothing.

Orion was pissed. He wasn't angry at Roil for failing to do something at the end, but for the way his enjoyment was rejected from him. You don't do that to an almost omnipotent being, you just don't.

But he had greater ideas than just reviving him. During his younger times it turned out he had pissed on the heads of some Gods by his actions, but he didn't give it much thought even when he learned about it. His plans, however, involved on abusing his powers to their limits.

Something interesting he had found when testing for the limits of his power was that affecting other people was countless times harder to him. It probably involved some kind of ancient law he didn't know about, but it was fun seeing that reviving a random person was harder than destroying some planet.

So settling on his plans to make that kid immortal was bound to have some serious consequences; combining the laws of immortality, death, life and that unknown one was probably not the smartest idea he'd ever had.

But he chose to make this meaningless life of his have some meaning, so he went a step further; uncaring of whether this would kill him or not, he turned back time a year or so. Then he transported some stuff to another planet inside a small dimension he had made. He then messed with the laws of creation and life to create challenges for that kid. Finally, he messed with the laws of Gods to create laws for that dimension.

He was so excited he just wanted to do more and more, to approach some kind of limit even at the cost of his life. In the end, he counted three hundred and seventy-four laws broken, many of them more than once.

Once he finished, he coughed blood from his mouth, feeling weakness at his immortality for the first time. Several figures started appearing in front of him, in what he could only describe as Gods.

"You have messed with our existances far too much young Deviling." They all chanted in one voice.

The figure shrouded by the most mist and mystery stepped in forward, "Your existence was meant to be a deterrent to hopeful invaders from other universes! You weren't supposed to bring your own universe to the brink of destruction making a second one inside it." The figure said.

Realising a long sigh, it put its hands on Orion's shoulders and spoke with a hint of sadness, "Your life cannot go on. You were supposed to be a protector, yet you ended up as a devil. Without your existence other powers from various of universes will flock to this one like moths to a flame, enough to drown out the small candle-like flame. You are the end of your universe and it shall be your punishment to witness what a true ending is like."

Orion, however, couldn't help but laugh at his words, "Protector you say? Funny thing is I was never given any kind of instructions. Besides, Roil will do just fine as a protector." he said.

"All of this for a child?" The figure asked. The other Gods seemed surprised he would question a Devil with this much interest, but the question wasn't only his.

"No, Roil was just what pushed me over the edge. This was something I actually wanted to try for a long time now. Besides, Roil might not be fit to be a protector now, but with the amount of stuff I put in that dimension, it isn't even a question of when, nor how." Orion said. He knew these were his last words, but his last actions were still developing.

Who knows, if he maintained his will after death he might even try to revive himself. Separating Death from himself might be a slap in the face, but at least it was a soft one compared to when he revived another person.

These thoughts, however, didn't last for long as he started losing every sense of his body. First, he lost sense of reality, he couldn't fight back. Then he lost the sense of touch, smell, sight, hearing, and dimension. Then he lost existence.

In the end, though, he wasn't angry at how things ended up. It was a somewhat satisfying end for a bored guy like him. If there were any lingering regrets, perhaps, it would be that he wanted to see how Roil would fare in the situation he had forced him into; well, not you can't have everything it seems... but he had already severed that concept from himself so he got the ability to see Roil's adventures.

"Ugh, when I see that teacher again, I will murder him. He encouraged me to go on a suicide mission! I'm never participating in what he has in store for me, ever!" Roil yelled that final word in the air, not knowing that same teacher could hear him.

As for the Gods themselves?

"Is this seriously the kid we are supposed to trust with the future of our universe with?"

 

0