46: Replacement parts
44 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Compiling the catalog was done relatively fast. I had just to take the list of implants I knew I could make. Pricing on the other hand was much harder to do.

Sure, a basic jack was a known issue, and I left that price alone at 80k DC. Seriously, if somebody wanted a basic jack, they would get what they paid for.

I finally gave the implant a sliding scale depending on the complexity, time to have the fabber make it, materials needed, and the time I needed to design it. With that, the ultra bandwidth jack that I used would cost 1.3 million DC.

The material costs alone were around 150k, and it would take the fabber nearly an hour to make one. That does not sound like all that much, but in an hour it could also build an Mk. IV Seraphim board, which I sold for several million DC.

Conversion with the new nano filter would add another million DC.

And that was without any extras. No cranial board (8.6m DC), no advanced HUD (320k DC), no vision enhancements (between 120k DC and 12m DC, depending on the quantity and quality of the enhancements), no WiFi (160k DC), and nothing else.

If somebody took everything reasonable I offered as neural cyberware he would have to pay roughly 35 million DC. But fortunately, the only thing that needed the filter was the jack and the sensory enhancements.

If the jack was of a high enough quality, all the rest simply used the jack as the connection to the brain and the nervous system.

Naturally, if one wanted to waste money they could get even more cyberware from me.

Mostly combinations that were superfluous, like the synaptic accelerator and the cranial board, or the information storage and the cranial board or the… well, basically the cranial board brought with it several functions that would make other implants completely redundant.

I would not prevent anybody from getting it all, even if they would be hard-pressed to fit it all in, but I did put in warnings about the redundancy in the description of the board. If they wanted to waste around 5 million DC, they could be my guests.

Then there were enhancements that I could make, I had experimented with them during the development of the nano filter after I found the blueprints in old files, but that I thought were at best frivolous, if not downright stupid.

Thinks like the sensory enhancements for taste or touch, artificial synesthesia, and similar things. There was a thought-controlled animated tattoo for crying out loud.

After some careful consideration, I put these into the catalog as well. I had the plans, after all, the fabber could make them, so why not?

With that done I linked the catalog with my message board in the Abyss and set the MCU up to monitor it.

After that, it was back to the daily grind. While I rather would have finished Glory, again, I needed to work on my implants. I could simply not afford them freezing up.

I had, obviously erroneously, believed that I had ironed out the major errors in their OS. I was under no illusion that I had made it perfect, that is impossible after all, but something like a complete freeze, that should have been fixed long ago.

What I found was that there were three comparatively minor faults that all had to trip at the exact right circumstances to make my implants pout.

The first was the optical sensory input filter.

It was essentially what generated my HUD and reduced the brightness to acceptable levels. Unfortunately, it could not cope with the chaotic input generated by the quantum computing I encountered. And there was nothing I could do here. It was simply not possible to harden a process against that.

The second was the error handler for that process. The uncontrolled state of the OSIF was outside of what I had designed the software for. Normally that would be no big problem as under normal conditions I had the error handlers ping the processes in question regularly.

But during matrix combat, every single iota of performance was used to keep me alive. That canceled that safety procedure quite nicely. I would have to change the priorities somewhat.

The last error, and the one that tied it all together, was the use mode switcher. I had programmed it to poll every single error handler if everything is working before it switched from cyberspace to real space. But because the error handler was of the opinion that everything was fine, it simply accepted that message.

When it then switched to the real-world functionality of the OSIF, everything went haywire, creating an error cascade that froze the whole system amidst the switch, the one time when the error detection systems were not working.

It was a rather laughable problem, but it was enough to shut the implants completely down. It was also relatively easy to fix, as I redesigned the switcher to first spool up the new use mode in an virtual machine and test it there for persistent problems, and if necessary initiate a reboot.

Yes, a clunky workaround, I know, but sadly, with quantum computing, it was impossible to account for every issue.

That done, I decided to work on the nano-applicator for the filter. For one, it was a pretty straightforward design and should be done pretty quick, and on the other, it was what I needed more urgently right now than Glory, as much as I hated that thought.

The first step was to design the basic applicator chamber. Unlike the bioreactor, which had that functionality as well, it was a purely technical design. No icky biologicals were needed here.

The control system I took straight from the bio-reactor, with simplified software. Unlike in the bio-reactor, I could use nano-substrate to keep the nanobots up and running. Those that would not be baked into the filter that it.

That of course made many things easier but posed some smaller design challenges. It made it possible to design bigger chambers later on, even if I had no idea what I would need it for, but it prevented the easy frontloading design the current bio-reactor had. More important though was that it reduced the actual cost of creating a nano-filter significantly.

Yes, the prices I had put into the catalog were… outrageous compared to the costs already, but I seriously hated throwing money away. Sure, I had more than enough already for several lifetimes, but the way I had grown up left some mental scars.

And the prices were more a statement than a necessity. I wanted my work appreciated, and nobody appreciates cheap things. They may appreciate getting cheap things, but the cheap things themselves are mostly ignored. So let them pay for it. My target customer base certainly could afford it.

The next design choice was the way to introduce the nanobots. I had already decided to integrate a dedicated nano-fab into the applicator. I just needed to decide on the scale of the thing. A short estimate about the capacities of my industrial fabber made me limit the final applicator to 12 chambers.

That was still more than my indy-fab could support, but if this thing took off I could already see that I would have to get another one. Smaller, without most of the metal forming equipment, but another one.

Maybe I would have to build something like a small factory if this stuff took off. At least for the jacks, it would be worth a thought.

That made the final design a 3 by 4 chamber system with a control unit to the right of the chambers. The chambers were designed to push out a bucket when the door was opened. Behind the chambers, there were the tanks for the nano substrate and the nano fab.

It would take my industrial fabricator half a day to build the applicator, and my mostly free nano fab could spin up the nano fab in it in half an hour. It would be actually ready to work in a day.

After that, I finally managed to work on Glory’s OS. I still had much to do for her, even if the base for the OS was the one I used for Precious.

Still, I had to port it over to the new hardware, integrate the new instructions I included into the Hyperion, and then write the new firmware for the hardware.

One thing I baked into the basic ROM this time was the Q-link support. I would never again be without a direct connection between my board and my cluster.

I had also redesigned the buffer to connect via Q-link so that I could use an external buffer bank that I could quickly switch out. That made it necessary to have the mainboard rebuilt by the indy-fab but after my dance with THE JUSTICAR, it was worth it for me.

The whole fiasco could have been averted if I only had my full buffer when the jerk showed up.

I was by my estimate around 20% done when I got alerted that Mark was waking up. While I grumbled about the interruption, I was fully aware that I had to talk to him as soon as possible.

When I surfaced, Ryan was there, looking pretty beat. I had not expected him sitting on guard duty right now.

It was obvious that he was barely able to stay awake.

“Uhm, Ryan, did you stay awake the whole time? Remained on guard duty?”

He nodded slowly and took a deep sigh.

“Why? I mean, I know your boss gave you the duty, but there is nothing standard in the current situation.

You can’t stand as a guard for the whole week until we get your boss up and running again.

Here, in this building, I am relatively safe. Go to bed. If there is another big attack, and that is unlikely at the moment, you will know.

And remember, the VI has taken over as a guardian for me. I don’t think anybody will get through its defenses.”

It took him a moment but when he swayed for a bit, he sighed again.

“Ok. You are right. I can’t do this for much longer. But I hate…”

“Yes, you hate forsaking your duty. I get that, but you aren’t. Especially today is the safest day in the immediate future. Even if Falconer wants to try again, they will have to move new assets into place first.

And it will be much harder for them to get through our cyber defense this time. They used up their most powerful asset in cyberspace, and the VI is playing watchdog there.

Even before that, The Justicar needed more than 60 hours to find a way to break into our network. Anybody they could get would need much longer.

That means they can’t get the doors open.

They can’t bring in the heavy equipment necessary to go through the walls, because said heavy equipment will be mincemeat when the railguns are done with it.

So for the moment, for the next three or four days, as long as we don’t leave the building, we are safe.”

Sadly, most of my speech was wasted as he had dozed off sometime in it, as I noticed when he did not answer. But at least Darren, who had stood in the doorway seemed to appreciate it.

He nodded to me before he softly woke Ryan up again, leading him out of the room.

After I watched the two of them move towards Darren’s room, I began walking to Mark’s room.

When I got out of the lift, I already heard Mia.

“… and then she said it could be worse. Can you believe it? Your arm is gone, and she said it could be worse.”

When I knocked on the door, her tirade ebbed, and she opened the door.

“Hello Mia. I know you are upset, but apparently, you have enough medical training to know not to overwhelm a patient in this manner. I have to insist that you keep calm and speak softly.”

“YOU JUST WANT TO SILENCE ME! BUT YOU CAN’T…”

I raised my hand.

“Your opinion is your opinion, and though I don’t share it, I can understand you.

But at the moment you are stressing Mark, who is injured. He can’t be fully awake just now, so all you are managing is to confuse him and put unnecessary strain on his health.

So either you use your indoor voice, and you can stay and tell us all how you think, or you have to leave for the moment while I talk with my patient. Understood?”

The coiled back as if I had hit her, but remained silent for now.

“Now, if you would let me see Mark so that I can look him over I would be thankful.”

With that I pressed through the door, giving her a light shove on the way.

Mark was, surprisingly, pretty lucid already. And annoyed if his expression was an indication.

“Hey Red. Thank’s for the interruption. And Mia, I like you. I might even love you, but we are way too early for that, but please, sometimes you are a bit overwhelming. And right now is one of these times.”

Mia huffed in indignation, and her expression promised hell for Mark soon but with a theatric throw of her hair, she walked out of the room with her nose high in the air.

When the door slammed shut behind her, Mark let out a sigh.

“Wow, talk about high maintenance. But it’s worth it.”

I had to grin.

“If you say so.”

Then I got serious.

“Now, how are you feeling?”

“Besides like somebody cut off my arm and then drugged me? Quite well, actually.”

I sat down on the chair that Mia apparently had moved beside the bed.

“You seem to take the situation pretty well. Are you still high?”

“Nah, I can understand the situation. It hurts, sure. But it is tolerable. And it is not as if it were the end of the world. Yes, I have lost my right arm. But just before the assholes came in and fucked up everything you told us that you would be able to give us cyberlimbs soon. So I am the first. I was thinking about it anyway.”

Alright, much more mature than I had expected from him.

“About that…”

Now he got worried.

“Please don’t tell me that you made a mistake and you can’t give me a new arm!”

“No, not that. You have a decision to make. I can’t yet say when I can give you a full-fledged cybernetic arm. At least not one that is much stronger than your natural one was.

There is way too much infrastructure to improve in your body for that, and I have to develop the packet and make it safe before I can saddle one of my friends with it.

I can’t tell you how many improvements I have to make, and when I will be done. It could be a few months, it could be a year or so.

So your decision is to have me clone your arm, and you get it back in around two months, wait until I have the whole packet ready, or take a basic prosthetic arm until the other options are ready.”

He blinked slowly at me.

“So two months to get my biological arm back, an unknown amount of time until I get a superpowered arm, or, what is that basic prosthetic and how long will that take?”

“The prosthetic will be at best marginally stronger than your natural arm, and I can make it look mostly natural, but you get nothing above what your old arm was.”

“But I lose nothing in the use of my arm?”

“No, it might take a bit of fiddling to make the connection as strong as your old arm was, but it is mostly straightforward. We could also remove the rest of your arm and replace it completely. Then it will be around 10-20% stronger than your natural arm, but I would advise against it right now.”

“Hm… and how long will that take?”

“It should be ready when your arm has healed enough to fit it. That should be around two weeks, give or take a few days.”

“Ok, so my options are, do nothing, live without my right arm, wait until you get the full upgrade package ready, with an unknown ETA, wait two months until the biological replacement is ready, or wait two weeks to get a cybernetic replacement that is as good as the arm I lost?

Does taking the cybernetic replacement prevent me from getting the superpowered arm later?”

I had to frown.

“No, why would it?”

“I don’t know. I am not a cybutcher. And even the most fucking bleeding-edge cybutcher won’t know the tech. So I ask the person that does know. And it is good to know that I can get a working arm almost now, and a fucking superpowered one when you have it ready. I take that option, please.”

Ok, that was generally what I had expected. Sure, I had expected to be shouted at, then calming him down, followed by painstakingly explaining to him his options. He had seriously surprised me in this.

“Now, have you changed your avatar in cyberspace in any way?”

“No I did… is that even possible? And why do you need to know?”

“Yes, it is possible. If you want to play on the other team for a bit, say a word. And the diadem has a small scanner integrated that scans your body so that it can accurately represent it in cyberspace.

Makes it easier to switch from real- to cyber-space. I need to know because your avatar has all the data of your old arm. That makes it easy to make the prosthetic to the same specifications. It will be as if it was your old arm. Do you allow me to access your avatar for that?”

Not that I actually needed his consent for that, but I would honor his wishes.

“Yes, yes of course. Say, do you think you can disable this scan-thingy so that I can keep using my arm in cyberspace?”

Good thinking that.

“Yeah, that is easy. I simply freeze your avatar, and it won’t change. Now, do you want me to send Mia back in?”

He frowned again.

“Yeah, I think it is better to get it done with.”

5