From the Embers
251 8 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Battering ram push forwards to the gate, Catapults on my mark, Fire."

The battlefield was a chaotic mess, the mercenary army stood defiant in front of their professional counter-parts, Archers lined the walls, looking at them as if they were fish in a barrel. A man slowly made his way from the haggard siege weapons towards the front lines, the mercenary army split in two as the man walked through them, each man forming an honour guard for their captain.

The catapult shots flying overhead as he walked, the sound of stone wheels turning as the battering ram followed his path to the cities gates, the man stopped still in front of the looming castle walls, the city's nobility looking down at him with a smile, feeling confident the King chided" You will be dead soon, the Tusont Empire will be here to attack you from the rear, your catapults are not effective against our enchanted walls and your battering ram will be destroyed before it can get close to us. What next 'Dragon' King? Going to throw more mercenary lives at us until we relent?"

The Man in question smiled at the King, his toothy smile displaying his supreme confidence in himself, reaching into a magical storage bag, the man pulled out a severed head, looking at the king he remarked "Your son said the same thing"

He threw the head on the floor, crushing it under his boot, raising his hand to the sky he whispered:" Honey it is time for you to make an appearance."

A Monstrous roar met his whispers as a huge shadow covered the battlefield, blocking out the sun for those below it, a majestic black dragon dove down from the sky, igniting the impressive ramparts with fire before turning towards the mercenary king, swooping at him, the dragon slowed its pace until it landed on the floor.

Move towards the man, the dragon slowly lost its scales and rapidly decreased in size, a small woman stood next to the man, smiling at him she asked" Did I go a good job?"

The man smiled, lifting the woman's face towards his own, he lent in and gave her a quick kiss before he whispered" You did well my love, now it's my turn to prove myself worthy of you."

Looking at the king the man smiled and shouted" This can only go way if want to fight this is how it goes, if you want to kill, heads will roll. If you want to win, blood will spill, we can play. This is war, everything is fair game."

"Archers fire, kill him, kill them all."

The few remaining archers looked down from the wall, the man looking back at them brought fear to their hearts, the beating of their chests could be heard by the sensitive ears of the Dragon and her husband, the man looked at them and said" Now is the time to pick aside, if you choose wrong your wife will be telling your kids that their dad will not be coming home today. Simply kill the king and let me through the gates, no one else except the nobility have to die, are you willing to lose your life so that theirs can survive for 5 more minutes? Believe me, I will kill them, the choice as to whether you die with them or not? You have 20 seconds to choose before I  decide for you."

Nothing changed, the archers panicked and began to look between the man and the king they were sworn to protect, seeing that they couldn't decide, the man turned around and shouted" Load the catapults, aim over the walls, begin destroying the inner city. We can just rebuild it later, the people who die there do not matter to us."

Hearing that their families were to be Killed instead, a few of the archers broke and drew their bows, aiming at the king to their left...

*Twang*

The sound of a single arrow being shot was heard, the world froze as people waited to see the target of the arrow...

4