Chapter 20- First Contact
26 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 20- First Contact

           

            A number of camp fires have burned all night and been reduced to simmering white ash. But as soon as it is poked and stirred up by a stick from the ground the white ash reveals a few orange coals left. Loose feather weight ash drifts up into the air and is waved off by a husky man in simple clothing. He is one of the few people up before the break of dawn to get the fires ready for breakfast. Nearby these campfires are several night guards in groups of two, and their lethargy is offset by their eagerness for a morning meal. This campsite has just over a dozen carriages, and twice that in tents and horses. It is evident who is a morning person and who is not by both their ease of rising and the expression on their face.

Before they can leave everything must be finished first. Just like all other peaceful mornings their working sounds is accompanied by the songs of local morning birds and animals. Fires are stoked for making meals; luggage is stowed away on uncovered wagons, and horses are prepped for travel. As soon as most of the meals are finished everything is loaded quickly and fires are covered over by dirt. All wagons are mounted and the entire procession of guards, horses, merchants, and scouts set out on another day of travel. Soon they anticipate nearing their greatest source of their income and exotic trade goods, the central trade city of Verde.

            While it is not a city related to any particular kingdom, it is a type of unacknowledged kingdom on its own right. It houses all known races and goods, and most diplomatic envoys meet there to negotiate deals with each other as a safe middle ground. But the caravan doesn’t travel very long when the first sun rises above the far mountain range. Around that time something disturbs all the local wild life, and a distant rumble is heard from the direction of the mountains pass. Caravan members actually could feel it rattle in their chest as the concussive force rippled through the air. The mountains let loose unsettled rocks as they fell off steep slopes, and birds and animals flee in the opposite direction from the pass.

            This event stirred everyone into a frenzy. Needless to say everyone was on edge. Some of the members tried to have the few dwarfs identify what sort of stony catastrophe was that. Did a section of the mountain collapse and is the road passable? But the dwarfs knew nothing of such an event. Even if there was a cave in, then nothing should have rattled everything like how that did. So they turned to the few that were clerics or healers to see if they could explain it. And only a pious person suggested it was an ill omen but failed to explain anything more than someone angered god. The few scouts and rangers were asked as soon as they returned to the wagon side, but none of them could explain the phenomena. Only it was similar to thunder without lightning.  

            As the caravan crested the last and highest hill before descending into the lower part of the pass one of the scouts said there is a faint but distinct trail of smoke. It was explained that it was probably a large fire and it has likely burned out. Only a slight trail is left in the sky over the woods. So long as the wind has been fairly still then it might have come from inside the woods not terribly far from the last stop before town. Regardless if there is a danger they need the scouts to go first and check things out. There was some concern about a rare colossal lizard that could breathe fire. But if that was the case then there really is no chance to escape it. So after the merchants and caravan master discussed this with the guards and scouts. They dismissed the likelihood of a dragon being the problem and set the priorities.

Those capable of stealth and scouting are to make 4 groups of 2 for scouting, and conduct the following search plan. Group 1 should stay only on the road and make sure the final camping spot is safe and there is no ambush waiting. Group 2 check the woods between here and there. Group 3 try and make it to the place that fire came from. If there are monsters they we can try to push on to the town and warn the guards or send for help before we get that far. Group 4 continue your usual patrol near by the caravan without bonus pay. After some protests the scouts reluctantly agreed to their assigned jobs so long as they got extra “hazard pay” and double that if there is a dire monster like a dragon.  

As time went on the reports that came back were certainly unusual, and not what they were expecting. First of all it seems like there isn’t really any staged ambush. No trees are cut, and nothing is obstructing the road. Not a single bandit was seen in the woods along the road side. Finally they hear about the last campsite. Someone modified it by extending the three walled shack out over the fireplace and enclosed it with a fourth wall. In addition there are people in there and a small fire is putting out some smoke threw a chimney. This could be a setup for an ambush. But they have never heard of bandits building as well as a carpenter just to create an elaborate trap. It all turned into a heated debate, and everyone has to admit that it does not sound like a trap. Yet this would be the first of its kind. So they will continue and find out one way or another by sending in a smaller group while keeping everyone else back and letting a few guards and spokes person deal with anyone that is in there.

Some time latter before the caravan arrived at the campsite the final scout group arrived. They explained that deeper in the woods is…. something. The whole scene is hard to describe. They do their best to explain that it appears like a fireball went off in a clearing. But the scouts are in disagreement over the fireball. One says it was magic while the other says it was more a natural fire or alchemical fire. On top of that it bits of monster is scattered everywhere. It would only be a guess, but it was a lot of something with red blood and big bones. But even the trees were blown away. Big trees were splintered and exploded. Bits of wood were propelled into other trees. The whole thing is unreal. If some of the leaders have time they would like to see it or at least report this when they get to town.

When most of the caravan arrived in sight of the small shack they were shocked at how different it looked. The way the building was before it was open enough to pack in up to ten people without sleeping on top of one another while a fire was outside the shelter to provide almost 180 degree view out toward the road and keep an eye on the wagons. But this now looks like a small house along with a strange sliding door. The grounds around it are clean and clear of debris, with a pile of wood stacked behind the building. Four guards accompanied one of the merchants to act as representative. Everyone was confused at this drastic change and how it defied common sense. Even for as clean as everything looked the guards occasionally jerked their heads and waved away what they complained as spider webs at head height.

   Finally they stepped up on a wooden porch and rapped on the wall next to the strange door to announce their arrival. The guards stand by prepared to be assaulted at any moment. If the four guards voiced their discomfort, then it would have started the moment they got in arms reach of the porch. Almost as if they were walking into danger. The merchant was not fazed at all by this and boldly spoke up as if the problem was entire with the guards.

“Pardon our abruptness. We are working with the Merchants guild and this is a frequent stop for us.”

Everyone waits for a moment but they only hear a little movement and a few whispers before it is silent again.

 “Our caravan usually makes camp here, and it appears that things have changed from our last visit. So we are making sure nothing is amiss. My name is Leroy, and I would like to have an open dialog. We mean no harm.”

Again all five men wait for a response before acting. But this time they are even more on edge.

 

            After an uncomfortable moment they hear a distinct female voice. It has an air of youth to it, and seems to be trying to match Leroy’s etiquette.

            “Thank you for naming yourself and intentions. If you mean no harm to anyone hear then you are welcome to  speak to us.”

            On the end of those words a couple of light footsteps can be heard and the door is slid open.

            A lady with tall purple ears is standing in front of a bed on the far side of the single room. Her hand is resting on a long blade compared to her size. But on making eye contact she makes a nod at the people at the door. Only 2 guards caught a glimpse of the Halfling that opened the door before it went to a position flanking the door way to their left.

            None of the men were expecting to see a peculiar fox kin, nor a Halfling. But she tried to keep speaking in a formal way even if they were only momentarily surprised.

           

“I am sure you understand why a group of ladies would be cautious of strangers. But if your words are true, and you mean no harm to us. Then please enter and have a seat. (she gestures with her free hand.) We will talk and do you no harm.”

All five men were put off by the way she spoke. Her tone and word usage was strange. But if they are all females then maybe they aren’t that dangerous.

“Thank you.” Leroy replied as he stepped up to the door and glanced about before entering. “But what is your name, miss?”

Leroy could see the Halfling to his left near the corner of the room, and she had a little dagger at her side. Her eyes were fixed Leroy with a worried almost expectant expression. The fire was kept small in the fire place set in the wall on the left. The room had a finished look to it but the walls were not very thick. There was a small bed behind the fox kin. A small table with four chairs to the right wall, opposite of the fire place. Then what looked like a small closet the size of a man built into the far right corner of the wall. Taking this as a visual confirmation of no big trap, Leroy showed his empty hands and took a step into the large single room.

“My name is Sakura, and we are traveling too. There was trouble while we were traveling, and one of us was injured. We need help for her.” Sakura held her hands up in a like manor before placing them by her side just like Leroy did.

“Um I’m sorry miss, you two look fine to me.”

“Yes we are. It is… Our lady Jane…” Sakura steps away from the end of the bed and moves her big fluffy tail away from the bed as well.

The girl under the blanket could be wrapped by it almost 3 times. Leroy steps further into the room and continues to get a better look. He sees a pretty face poking out, and she’s unconscious while sweating profusely. Her silvery hair is plastered to her head and face, but someone took the time to wipe her down and leave a shredded cloth on her forehead.

“Is she sick?”

“No she’s hurt.”

“I, I’m sorry I just don’t understand. How is she injured? What’s wrong with her?”

“She has been hurt, but I think her worst injury is her leg.”

“Might I know what the extent of her injury is? If I don’t know what is wrong I can’t relay the information correctly. We do have some people who are good at fixing up wounds.”

Two guards are standing just outside the door way watching, while the other two are looking over their shoulders. Sakura seems very hesitant to go into much detail and keeps glancing at the guards at the door. With a sigh she steps closer to the bed and gestures conspiratorially to Leroy.

“This is our problem. We have done what we can, but we just don’t know how to fix this. The magic we were able to do helped to keep her together… but we don’t know how to repair this..”

Sakura huddling over obstructing the few from the guards rolled up the blanket slowly. At first Leroy didn’t understand the problem. He could see the bottom of a foot, then ankle, and the bottom of a leg. He noticed there were strange almost scar like sections of skin on the leg. She just kept rolling up the blanket he realized it just before she revealed the bottom stump of a missing leg. The end of that leg was covered in tissue that looked like raw tendrils of flesh with some skin still scorched. It was not dripping blood, but looked similar to raw exposed muscles. It very much looked like tease mixed with horror show between the two contrasting exposed legs.

“i…”  Leroy gagged and turned his head. He never had to deal with wounds like that before. Scratches and cuts were part of life. But standing in arms length of a freshly severed leg is not what he was expecting. Grrrrk…  “Ohhh… I’m sorry.” Leroy took a couple steps away and didn’t look for a moment.

“Sir…?” One of the guards called to see if Leroy is ok.

“Yea, I’m fine. …” Leroy gag’s again and covers his mouth with his fist.

“Can your people help her? We understand trading and bartering. But it would be best to work the deal out with our lady as soon as she regains consciousness.”

Leroy looks at her with incredulity for a moment then recovers a calmer demeanor. Slowly he closes his eyes and presses his lips before speaking. “Sakura, I honestly don’t know healing. But if it’s fine with you I could ask our people if someone could help.  Just…  Please miss, don’t get your hopes up too high. I don’t know if that can be fixed”

“It’s fine.. go ask your people. If you could help our lady then I’m sure she would be able to help compensate for the expense. So you know we don’t want to agree to a set price before hand. But she is very good to people who are good to her. I’m sure she would try to find something you value, or help provide an alternative.” Sakura says it but doesn’t seem to accept anything that sounds discouraging.

Leroy confirms with them it is fine if their group stays there over night. He also asks if they intend to stay in this house for long. He’s told they intended to head to town, but they lost their way. He makes no promises but says it is likely they might be able to help them reach town if not help with the healing.

Upon reaching the caravan the leaders gather around as Leroy recounts the encounter. This is certainly the oddest case they have seen in a long time. Most of the merchants don’t want to be out the supplies or money needed to help these strangers. Less than a hand full of people volunteer some to help them. But the only thing they can agree on is if they need a lift to town then the wounded girl may lay on one part of a certain wagon. They speculate with the scouts and guards the fur was one whole pelt. If that was the case then they must have fought some sort of giant animal. Part of what scares the group the most is if these people were responsible for what happened in the forest. This all might have to wait till they can be taken to town to be questioned. In the end they moved ahead and made camp in the area that night.

            All the leaders were shocked when they soon discovered that a dwarf, elf, halfling, and fox kin all were guarding that building. All these people were the strangest gathering they have seen in such a situation. To help solve the mystery they tried to have someone who was talented at using identify to go to the little cabin with those who volunteered and help figure out the girl’s problems. It might also shed some light on who they are. Or at least who this injured girl is.

            While being under strict observation those willing to help were invited in to take do what they can do. They unpacked a few things to wrap over the end of the stump and the healer knelt at the end of the bed.  With almost 10 people gathered in a semi circle around the bed at various distances the work began.

            Knox helped deal with the heavy fur blanket, but even so it was impossible to completely hide the little wings. In addition the healer was upset with the bizarre condition of the stump and why flesh even looked like that. Sakura would only explain with her healing magic helped to “Hold” her lady together while she healed what she could. Sakura insisted that if they could just help her heal that is fine. However she is hoping they are able to help the leg recover. Their refusal to help wasn’t from denying someone assistance. They simply didn’t have the ability to do what is asked. They need to check back into town or go to a capital to find healers of that caliber. Sakura wasn’t interested in bandages and just wanted them to use something to boost natural healing, or do sudden healing like adventurers.

            For a while two people channeled healing into the “Lady Jane” as the very outspoken Sakura kept calling her. During this time all the other people avoided any meaningful conversation. Other than yes, no, or gestures the other three females guarding this girl refuse to say much at all. Like a group that has silently come to an agreement and are sticking too it.

            The healers were shocked at the way Jane’s stump recovered from the way it was looking. The healing did a much better job than they thought it would. The girl stopped sweating and twitching. All the raw looking meat was covered over by a fleshy tone layer of skin. The other exposed leg seemed to reshape from the lumpy vein under the skin look into a very sexy nicely shaped leg with the corrected skin tone. If all these changes in her physical form were from healing, then they could only wonder at how badly this girl’s body was misshapen from the injuries she suffered. That realization started to dawn on the healers about the time there was some noise.

            Jane started to mumble and move about. As one side of her body was flopped a bit more than the other thanks to the movement of her wing she started to spill off the side of the bed. When people tried to keep that from happening one of the helpers grabbed Jane’s arm and helped to push her back up on the bed. Jane continued to speak incoherent words, when the helper suddenly jumped back from Jane like he was stung by a bee. He stood in shock gaping at Jane.

            “Hey be careful with my lady.” Sakura complained.

            “What’s wrong?” asked one of the healers.

            “Sh… She.’s…” mumbled the helper.

            The others start to glare.

            “She’s what?” prodded the other healer.

            “She’s a Celestial Queen!!”

            Everyone froze and looked at each other. Then they looked at Jane until Sakura distracted them.

            “I expect you all to keep this quiet at least until my lady can recover to speak for herself…”

            They turned to look at Sakura with the word “WHAT!” written all over their face.

 

            “DUCK!!!” Jane shouted as she sat bolt upright.

            Everyone flinched at the surprise after surprise.

            “Mistress!! Are you feeling better?” Sakura hurried forward to help Jane.

            With a panicked look Jane looked around the room and squeezed Sakura’s hand. “Please explain what’s going on?” Sakura was pulled closely to Jane’s mouth. “And what exactly happened? I feel like shit.”

            Sakura clears her throat. “Ah, well. That’s great My Lady. These people need some answers, and I told them they needed to wait for you to wake up. So…”

            Jane drops her head on her hand. Just then a little strawberry pops out of thin air and lands on her lap. This draws Jane’s attention to the rolled up fur on her lap. And several people actually are kneeling on the floor past the end of the bed, and another is sitting on their butt staring at Jane with wide eyes and shock.

            “AHH, Where are my pants?!” Jane screams in aggravation and cramed down the rolled up furs between her thighs.

            Sakura plucked the chocolate covered strawberry from the fur and promptly took a bite. Sakura continued to chew while slipping out the words.

            “had to … them off … you lost .. leg. … they …. dirty, … we … help … you.  ”

            Jane’s complexion was turning red, for some reason.

 

Next- Chapter 21- The Last Step To Town

                       

So far
  • Great Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad Votes: 0 0.0%
  • --- where is my mt dew? Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
1