Chapter 2 – My little brother is who!? (Rewrite)
755 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That memory was overwhelming. Then the scenery around me changed back to black once more. ‘So, I get reincarnated?’ I asked myself, ‘Who would’ve thought that something I read back then happened to me for real? So, what do I do now?’ Then, the dark space around me began to brighten up, ‘Looks like I’m about to wake up. I think about it later.’

 

===

 

“Urgh!” I groaned as I slowly opened my eyes. I woke up below a roof before sighing in relief. I struggled to get up, and when I did, I was so dizzy that I almost fell to the ground. “Up you go,” someone grabbed my arms, preventing me from falling to the ground. “Thanks,” I said while looking at the man who saved me. “You shouldn’t move around, kid,” the golden-robed man said before guiding me towards the bed. I sat down before observing the man in front of me closely. A brown-skinned middle-aged man with a full beard, a handsome man of middle-eastern descent, looked at me with complicated emotion in his eyes.

 

“Thanks for saving us,” I said, but immediately, I panicked upon realizing that my little brother wasn’t with me. The golden-robed man held my shoulder firmly, “Don’t worry, your little brother is safe. He is within the delivery chamber, getting the milk he’s supposed to have”, he gently said. I felt his tight grip on my shoulder; coupled with his words, my worry began to fade away, “Thank goodness.” The golden-robed man looked at me straight in the eyes, “What’s your name, little one?” he asked. “My name?” I racked my brain for my memories. “Ro-no,” I was about to blurt out my previous life’s name but managed to stop myself at the right time. I searched through my memories of this life. I found out that having two memories felt unpleasant as I could not quite figure out where I should look for.

 

Eventually, I found it. This body’s memories, this life’s memories. “I’m Abin Aman Surr,” my mouth opened as I answered the golden-robed man’s question. Yes, that’s right, my name in this life is Abin Aman Surr. Abin means Beginning, Aman means calm, stillness and Surr was the village that I came from. “Abin Aman Surr--- A still beginning, huh?” the golden-robed man muttered my name’s meaning. “So, what’s your name, mister?” I raised my eyebrows. “I’m Shaheen, leader of the Golden Sands,” he introduced himself with pride in his tone. “Golden Sands?” I tilted my head. Shaheen nodded, “Yes. Come, grab my hand. I’ll show you around. You recovered enough, I presume?” I nodded weakly as I used his hand to propel my body up.

 

Shaheen smiled and then proceeded to lead me outside of the house. My eyes got blinded by the sun for a second before my eyes finally adjusted to the light. “Welcome to the Golden Sands settlement,” said Shaheen with wide arms. After that, Shaheen took me around the settlement. The Golden Sands settlement was built around an oasis, a water source in the desert. Quite smart, actually, considering the times. I reckon that the other tribes in the desert were not too happy about it. Shaheen confirmed my theory later when I asked him about it. His confident answer gave me a sense of how powerful the Golden Sands tribe is.

 

Thanks to Shaheen’s introductions, I met a few important people from the Golden Sands tribe. A grumpy old lady who’s the best blacksmith in the tribe, a hot young woman that runs the bar and simultaneously is the head of the intelligence agency, and a burly man who’s a general of the army. After showing me around the tribe, Shaheen wanted to bring me back to the house, but I wanted to see my little brother. Shaheen nodded before leading me to the delivery chamber. “Whoa, it’s quite big,” I exclaimed when I entered the delivery chamber. “Of course. It is the birthplace for every leader of the Golden Sands,” Shaheen said with a smile on his face. My eyes went wide after hearing Shaheen’s explanation.

 

Then, I shifted my focus to a cradle right in the center of the room because my baby brother, that did not cry since he was born, finally cried for some reason. I saw an old maid standing beside my little brother’s cradle, holding a jug filled with milk and a small paddle in her hands. Her eyes were full of love when she heard my baby brother cry. Then, she picked up my baby brother in her embrace and tried to calm him down. “Master!” the old maid exclaimed when she saw Shaheen and me. “How is he, Hagar?” Shaheen asked. The old maid, Hagar, had a beaming smile on her face, “He lacked water, my lord. However, with a little bit of milk I fed him, he finally showed signs of life.”

 

Shaheen nodded, “Good job.” I looked at the old maid, confused, “What do you mean?” Hagar turned her attention towards me, “You’re his brother, right?” she scrutinized her eyes. I nodded, “Yes, I am.” Hagar shook her head, “You should’ve taken care of your brother better. Look at him; he’s dehydrated.” I hung my head down, “Sorry.” Veins popped out on the old maid’s forehead, “Sorry!? How can you just say sorry when this little kid almost died?” she yelled. I looked at my baby brother in her embrace and somehow felt ashamed of myself. Then, a feeling of annoyance crept out within me, “What do you know!?” I yelled back at the old maid before snatching back my little brother from within her arms. “You!” Hagar was about to lash out before Shaheen suddenly grabbed her hand and broke it. The old maid screamed in pain, “Why, master?” Hagar stared at Shaheen in shock. “You’ve gone too far!” Shaheen said, assertive in his tone. “But why master? Why protect such a brat that can’t even take care of his brother?” the old maid asked weakly.

 

“What do you know, you old crony? What do you know of my life? What do you know of my circumstances? Who are you to say that to me?” I let my emotion out loud. The old maid, Hagar, got taken back, and Shaheen shook his head. “The boy has a point, Hagar. Who are you to say that to other people? And besides, don’t you see his appearance?” Shaheen heaved a heavy sigh. Hagar observed me, her eyes looking up and down before her expression changed. “Don’t you see, Hagar? His body is so skinny compared to boys his age. Can’t you tell from that? He probably lived in poverty, not enough food to feed himself, yet the boy needed to take care of his little brother. The boy had a hard life, Hagar,” Shaheen shook his head.

 

“I-I….” the old maid stuttered in her words. “He’s done all he could in his power for his little brother. Apologize to the boy, Hagar”, Shaheen ordered. Upon hearing Shaheen’s word, the old maid stared at me before hanging her head down, “I’m sorry,” she apologized. “Go out and calm yourself. And tell Sarah to come here”, Shaheen ordered gently. Hagar bowed before silently leaving the delivery chamber. “Thank you,” meekly, I said while embracing my little brother in my arms. The little guy finally stopped crying after I held him as a small smile crept out on his lips. I smiled back while extending my index finger towards the baby’s nose. He held my finger with his tiny little hands before letting out a small laugh. My smile bloomed brightly and Shaheen, too, had a slight smile on his face.

 

“So, young Abin, have you decided yet?” Shaheen asked with his arms folded. I instantly knew what Shaheen wanted. From the moment he took me for a tour of the settlement, it was clear what he wanted. Shaheen wanted me to join the Golden Sans; it was apparent what his intention was. I looked down at my little brother, and without a second thought, I nodded, “Yes. I’ll join the Golden Sands.” Shaheen slightly nodded, “Then, congratulations. I’ll have Sarah prepare you for the entrance ceremony.” Entrance ceremony? I was left confused by Shaheen as he slowly walked outside of the delivery chamber.

 

===

 

“From now on, Abin Aman Surr and his little brother are now my wards, my children, and my responsibility. I, Shaheen Al Zaeem, declare them successors to the house of Al Zaeem”, bellowed Shaheen as he glared at his subordinate inside the throne room. “Long live your majesty, long live house Al Zaeem,” the crowd resounded while they bowed towards their leader. Meanwhile, I am kneeling in front of Shaheen with my entire body shuddering and my knees shaking, ‘What the hell just happened!?’ my mouth was wide agape as I was flabbergasted. Let’s backtrack for a minute.

 

Once I accepted Shaheen’s invitation, a young woman around twenty years old walked in wearing a white turban on her head. “You called, Master?” the young woman bowed, her back bent ninety degrees. “Raise your head, Sarah,” Shaheen commanded. The young woman named Sarah raised her head, revealing her beautiful features. “From now on, you take care of these two brothers. Let me introduce you” Shaheen waved his hands, “The young boy is Abin Aman Surr, and the baby in his embrace is his little brother.” Sarah looked tactfully at my little brother and me before bending her back down once more, “Nice to meet you, young master. My name is Sarah. From now on, I’ll be your personal maid.”

 

I was taken aback by her formal introduction that my only response was to nod weakly. Even in my previous life, where I was heir to a prestigious martial arts family, no one was this formal as far as I could remember. Then, Sarah let out a beaming smile toward my brother and me before extending both hands, “May I hold him, young master?” Nodding my head as a sign of approval, I handed my little brother to Sarah, and to my surprise, he did not cry. Instead, my baby brother gleefully laughed when Sarah held him in her arms. “There, there, little guy,” Sarah cuddled and played with my little brother with happiness on her face.

 

Shaheen lightly coughed, “Sarah, can you please prepare Abin for the acceptance ceremony?” Sarah’s expression turned 180 degrees, “As you commanded, Master.” Shaheen nodded in approval, “Good. We will begin the ceremony at night; please prepare him thoroughly”, he said while walking out of the delivery chamber. Her expression brightened again after Shaheen had left the room as she continued to play with my little brother. Seeing that my little brother was in good hands, I tried leaving the delivery chamber, but a slender hand stopped me from going. “Where are you going, young master?” Sarah’s eyes glowed bright red. My skin shivered when I saw her eyes as her slender hands dragged me back inside.

 

===

 

My body undulated, thinking about what happened earlier. ‘No wonder Sarah emphasized etiquette earlier. I did not know that I was about to be inaugurated as Shaheen’s successor. But, why me, though?’ The entire room still erupted with ‘Long live your majesty, long live house Al Zaeem,’ making me kneel for nearly half an hour before they stopped. “Stand up, Abin,” Shaheen ordered. I stood wobblingly as my legs were still numb from kneeling so long. “Walk over” I approached Shaheen’s throne at a slow pace as my legs were still recovering from numbness. Shaheen then made a gesture for me to stand right beside him.

 

After that, I stood facing the many subjects of the Golden Sands besides Shaheen. Then, Sarah walked out from behind the throne, carrying my little baby brother in her embrace before handing him to me to hold. Shaheen nodded, “From now on, Abin Aman Surr and….” Shaheen glanced at me. I could guess what he wanted, but even I did not know my little brother’s name. So, using quick thinking, I opened my mouth, saying, “My little brother hasn’t had a name yet. Why don’t Your Majesty give him a name instead?” I suggested tactfully, handing my little brother into Shaheen’s arms. Shaheen’s eyes brightened up upon my suggestion, and he nodded in approval.

 

When Shaheen was about to speak, the sounds of chickens clucking and the light from the sun rising barged inside the throne room. Shaheen seemed inspired by the situation visible in his eyes. Shaheen slowly opened his mouth, “Then, I name thee, En Sabah Nur. May the light of Horus light your path” he lifted my little brother, basking him in the morning light. Delighted that my little brother finally got a name, I had something tugging on my mind when I heard Shaheen utter my little brother’s name. Then, realization dawned on me. Something clicked inside my head. A memory popped out from my vast memories reserve. A memory from my previous life. A memory of the time when I immersed myself in pop culture in my previous life.

 

“My little brother is Apocalypse!?”

7