5: Primate Attack
182 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was exciting not going to lie. I had never thought that I would fight a primate this early on. 

I hope Anya is safe out there…

She is a good hunter and she can handle it. The problem is that I may have attracted many more primates of its group. 

Maybe the group earlier had heard of our presence or not. Even then the night onward is going to be tense. 

I guess this is the result of a lapse in my judgment.

If ever it's better if they don't come

" Is it dead, Mister?". Shiina asked me while I checked its state.

" It should be. It was thanks to Ulysses that we managed to kill this primate.". It was already dead, the spear managed to pierce its neck till it died. The armor was not enough to protect it from projectiles. 

" Why does it have armor though?". Maybe it has gotten itself an unlucky human. It's degraded to a point that the rings might break at any instant. Even then I still stripped the primate of its items. " Nice, new gear.".

" Now what do I do with the body?". I racked my mind for answers.

" Nah, I'll just throw it on the river.".

I picked up the body and let the twins close to my company. 

" I should make more weapons if ever other members of its group come. Hey kids!". 

" Want to gather some materials?". 

They nodded 

While gathering I've been thinking of ways to help us from the primates. We were noisy earlier and it had a very high chance that they might have noticed our presence. I looked at the many mud bricks that we made and stared at them for a short time.

Why am I staring at the bricks? Shouldn't I be making weapons and helping them gather materials? 

I looked around the river observing the water and the trees. The sun was already setting as such I hadn't had a clear view of the scenery. 

However, All things I have gathered through this was that some trees can be climbed. There was also a small clearing just inward in the forest. 

I tried to take a glimpse and when you look up you can barely see the branches. While some parts can still be seen. I feel like this place could prove to be a vantage point. I should have noticed this earlier before the attack. 

" Wait….".

Maybe I can use this to lure the groups out and place a trap in this area.

Shit man! This could be good. 

I called out both of them and said that there was a change of plans. 

" Try your best to gather fiber. Hold on… do you know fiber?".

" Of course I do, mister! Me and Ulysses will gather some.". 

Before nightfall where the sun can still be seen. The sky slowly became orange and we had to act fast. Of course, Kept my eye on both of them. For sure Anya would kill me If something happened to the both of them.

" Always stay by my side ok!". 

To an extent, it went well. We managed to gather enough bark fiber to make cordage.

You can now craft Cordage!

Using the cordage we made rope. All of them cost me 3 cordages but it was worth it for my upcoming plan. 

Rope recipe:
Cordage 0/3

My plan was going well and the kids are starting to get drowsy. " Both of you, you want to sleep?". 

" Yes… Yawn*". They rested while I focused on my plan. I was also waiting for the arrival of Anya.

Without Anya, I can't perform my trap. But even then I waited a while before they could get enough rest. 

" Hey, Ulysses can you wake up?". I repeatedly pat him in the head. It's already midnight and I napped for a little while. 

"... Why?....". Ulysses had already woken up while Shiina slept dearly.

" Can you help your sister while I make some traps?". 

He agreed, I gave him the wooden spear while I kept the rusty one. 

I crafted two campfires to brighten the surroundings. From then on the plan was going to start. I also occasionally chatted about what I am doing with Ulysses.

….

"Chatter*".

It was early in the morning when I heard those sounds. I pulled an all-nighter for my trap to be built. Albeit it was simple and something an average joe would make. I am however satisfied with the work I laid upon and took a rest. 

It felt new to accomplish something big. A feeling I never had for a while. 

" Anya should come back by now…".

I always kept my eye on my surroundings. There is a 90% chance they are here on this part of the river. 

" Kids! Wake up!". 

Both of them were startled, especially Ulysses. He had been wary of his surroundings and felt the presence of malice.

" Sis… Get Up!". Nervous he forced Shiina who was devoid of her surroundings.

" What's happening? Is there something wrong brother?".

" Danger!...come!". 

He pulled her away from a spot where they are safe. We talked about it last night and I expect him to do it. 

In the meantime…

" Ooo! Aaa! Ooo! Aaa!". 

They had arrived in numbers.

" No way! They're many! I never thought of them to be plenty!". 

I had to lure them away from the retreating twins. I don't know what I am doing but I did scream to present dominance.

"HA!". Well of course they retreated now my problem is they are more targeted towards me. 

" No fucking way I'm going to live out of this.".

My trap was only able to deal with 10 primates. However, their numbers exceeded that. With an overall amount of 21, I wasn't sure It was going to work yet I did it anyway. Luckily though they lack the armor so I had a little advantage. 

"Hiya!". I raised my spear and stabbed a nearby enemy in the torso. I released it back then repeatedly swung it to keep their distance. 

However, they were not backing down. They had no armor but they had weapons made out of stone. Although not strong it was lethal enough to kill me in a single strike.

There were five of them who had spears. They threw it against me and I drew back east to avoid it. 4 of them had missed me but the other one struck my wrist. 

" Aaa! Fuck!". 

Their throwing power was even stronger than a human. I quickly writhed in pain but I never stopped there. I removed the spear and switched my wooden spear to theirs. 

I repeatedly thrust the spear towards those who were nearing the distance. 

I have to lead them away to the other side which was west. There I laid the trap meant to take down most of them. I had to overtake their wall or find a way to break it.

" Damn, I should have used the river!". I glanced towards the river flowing west. I dove and swam close to the riverbank. I managed to get myself to the west side where the small clearing is. 

Then suddenly from the trees, a brick was thrown.

" It must be from Ulysses I have to strike now!". 

I pierced a primate with the club at the heart. Instantly killing it, while another one was thrown towards a different one. Some were knocked out due to the bricks. It seemed Ulysses and Shiina brought some to the trees.

" Even then all attention must be mine!". 

I thrust another one in the ribs. Screeching in pain the others became hostile. It was time to use my trap to exhaust their number.

I headed to the small clearing where I laid my trap in the tree. 

I ran as fast as I could before they could catch me. I got to the small clearing and faced the back. The trees that surrounded the entrance were filled with rocks ready to befall upon them. There was a rope in front of my eyes that kept them from falling.

" Closer…".

" Closer…".

" Goddamn, this should work!". 

I slashed the rope at the perfect time. They were filled with rocks that swung from tree to tree. A wing strong enough to knock them out cold. However, it was not enough. 

There were about 8 of them left alive unhurt by the stones that flung on them. However, they flinched and screamed around. While they were distracted I circled towards the entrance of the small clearing. I retreated to the river where I faced them without advantages. 

The wound in my hand was starting to widen and blood kept coming out. There was a splinter in my other hand making it harder to swing. 

"Come on!". I hope that Ulysses brought more bricks with him to the trees. 

" Ooo! AAA! Ooo! Aaa!". They raised their hands ready to attack. A battle cry encouraged them to charge at my position. 

I pointed my spear at them where I am ready to hit and run. I ran towards them and quickly went to the side to mislead them. I picked up a rock and threw it at one of them. However, it had not worked and they kept charging at me. I ran with all my might and spiraled the river banks. 

" Fuck! Looks like I have to face them!". 

There was no point in running. I am already tired and I wanted to rest. Fighting was the only way for me to stall them away. 

" Kids Get Away From this Area!". I screamed with all of my strength hoping they got the message. 

I glanced at the charging apes and was ready to fight. All of them had a very wide cast of weapons but I knew that was not going to stop me from stalling them. 

"I should have focused on making better weapons, Tsk!". I gripped the spear hard enough and pulled a stab at a charging primate.

They had a primate who used a club. They swing on my hips hard enough to pull me down. However, I retorted back by slashing it in the lower torso. 

Rows of attacks had reached my body. I was stabbed in the left side of my back while the other clubbed my arms. 

" KUAK!". 

It was painful. I wanted to get out of this situation. 

I got stabbed in the arms.

Clubbed at the face.

Surely I was to die in this situation and was satisfied that I managed to stall them out. If those twins escaped then my efforts had borne fruit.

My eyes were slowly darkening when suddenly one of them dropped down to the ground. I tried my best to keep my eyes open. I looked in the distance and saw both of them facing the attackers. 

No way… don't be a fucking hero!". 

I reached my arms towards them while the primates were slowly shifting their attention to the both of them. I threw a pebble as a last-ditch effort on taking their attention. 

It did not work. They kept charging towards them however slowly as my eyes could see. One of them had fallen and slowly another one of them fell. 

It was Anya.

Looks like she made it in time.

I'm impressed to see her crushing down her foes like it's a balloon. She swiftly used her spear and one by one they died. Up to the end, she brought down her foes without any effort. I can say that she is a good hunter.

Luckily I was awake enough to witness the fiasco. 

" Looks like my body won't allow me to see further…".

I could not take it anymore. I stopped moving, laying my body to rest. Blood was seeping to the ground and I looked at the sky. I glanced left and right to hear the flowing water and the footsteps of the others.

" Nice…".

I closed my eyes.

" Hey! Sino are you ok! Quick, let's get him to a healer!".

" Mister please live on!". 

" I'm… sorry…".

My issue of late would be the lack of time.

Even then this chapter was easy to write. 

Have a good day and see you Wednesday!

8