Vol.1 Chapter 1 – Royal Summons
3.1k 7 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I like not fair terms and a villain's mind.
William Shakespeare

There used to be two things that were important to a woman: What do I wear and what do I cook?

Today the two things are: What do I wear during court and what do I cook so you don't taste the poison?

Unknown origin

 

Honestly, my clothes alone were a shrill signal that I didn't belong. 20 teenagers looking quite uniform in their school outfits, school bags and their undeniably japanese appearance.

Next to them, me in my jeans, leather jacket and oversized backpack. Quite the difference.

After a few seconds of silence, the robed man began to speak to me. "Who are you?" My perplexity was quite great. Either he spoke German in a somewhat strange singsong or there was a pretty good translation running simultaneously in the background here.

Fortunately, parts of my brain shifted into overdrive. Uncle Robe seems like a man with some authority. "One moment, please, I'd like to have a brief exchange with my ... fellow arrivals. Unless there's anything to the contrary, I'll be happy to answer your questions. Afterwards. I'm curious as well." After a mutual nod, I continued.

I looked at the 20 students and focused on the girls. One at a time, I thought to myself. Stammering in Japanese, I began, <Good afternoon. My name is Laura. Which one of you is Kinoshita Enko, Keiko's sister?>

I could see quite a bit of bewilderment on the faces. The group turned to a girl at the side. Of course, she turned fiery red when she was picked out like that. Blushes never get old!

<I am Enko, Laura-sama.>

 

Skill: Language Learned Japanese

 

<May I ask how you know my name and what you want from me, Laura-sama? Sensei?>

Holy entropy! I could suddenly understand her! Japanese. Flawless. And what's almost better is how respectfully she addresses me. Sweet.

<I'm not a teacher, Enko-kun. Rather, see me as your senpai.> I glanced briefly at the other youths, then continued <Your sister was indisposed this morning and couldn't bring your things to you in time. That's why she asked me to bring you this package to school.> I placed the package from my backpack in her hands. She looked a bit shaken. Understandably, in a way, these were grave goods from her sister.

Addressing everyone, I said <I would like to introduce myself again. My name is Laura and I study at Todo University with Enko-kun's sister. If I understood the events correctly, there was an earthquake the moment I stepped into your classroom.>

The majority of the students nodded in agreement while a few were still coming to terms with the new reality.

<According to these ... Hmmm ... gods, you seem to have been called into this world as heroes. I, on the other hand, seem to have happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. A bystander, so to speak. As I told Enko-kun, I am not a teacher. Think of me more as your senpai.>

<She speaks the truth. I have the ability to determine if someone is lying,> one of the boys interjected.

Danger, Laura Robinson! Danger! When that boy is around, I should choose my words carefully. But first, the boy needs a little dose of respect. Toward me.

<Thank you very much. Would you please introduce yourself?> With a bit of a stern expression and the right amount of moderation in his voice, the little boy should learn not to interrupt me anymore. In fact, he looked like he wanted to jump into a hole.

<Excuse me, Laura-sama. My name is Muraoka Sadanobu.> Smiling, I nodded at him and replied, <Thank you, Sadanobu-kun. That seems like a useful skill to have. However, I would like to recommend that you and all of your classmates keep your skills between yourselves. Before you share your special abilities with everyone in this world, I recommend you first find out more about this world. Common sense, you know. Especially your ability could be seen as a threat by people in positions of power.>

Fixing the boy, I asked, <Do you understand, Sadanobu-kun?> Nodding vigorously, he replied <I understand, Laura-sama.> <Excellent, Sadanobu-kun. I recommend each of you to think beforehand. You probably know all the stereotypes of isekai and their dangers better than I do. In Japan, for example, you are not yet considered of age, whereas here you may already be adults and of marriageable age. This goes especially for you girls.> On the girls' faces I could see every emotion from worry to joyful excitement. To each her own, I thought to myself.

<Unlike you,> I continued <I am not called here as a heroine but by chance and with no special ability. So if I am lucky I can try to build a life here without interference. While heroes are probably expected to take on certain tasks.>

You could literally see the gears turning behind some people's foreheads. With Enko I had the strong suspicion that she was thinking about what I didn't say. Promising.

<It may be helpful if you discuss some topics in your native language. And it is always useful, in my opinion, to assume that walls have ears.> At my questioning look around, I earned nods from everyone. I noticed that the robed uncle was beginning to look impatient. Better I get to the end.

<Another pointer. We are apparently in a kingdom. In this form of government, the king's word is law and power usually rests with nobles. Or even the strongest. One can die relatively easily in such a state. So politeness can be important.>

In conclusion, I bowed slightly. I may be a German but to some extent I understand the senpai-kouhai relationship. Even if it is no longer lived so strictly. To my satisfaction, all the students bow to me. Lower.

 

Skill: Concealment learned

Interesting! As soon as I have more time I have to see what I can do.

 

But now back to you, robe uncle. Let's start the game. Hopefully, I won't just get bad cards.

"I thank you for your understanding. It can be a little confusing just standing in a classroom and then suddenly being summoned by means of a ritual. To answer your question, my name is Laura Dominika."

 

Skill: Polite Speaking Learned

Learning skills seems to be pretty easy.

 

"Well Lady Laura, we were expecting only 20 heroes. I must confess, I'm a bit surprised by your appearance. Why are you here and what were you discussing with the heroes earlier?" Lady? Well I'm not complaining about being elevated to nobility. However, you are already rude not to introduce yourself. But thank you for so generously revealing to me that you don't understand a word of Japanese.

"Why I am here I cannot say for sure. I suppose that the summoning brought all the people who have been in a room here. It was a coincidence that I was in this place. As you saw, I wanted to deliver a package to one of the girls from her sister."

Uncle Robe's expression turned slightly sour? Perhaps he suspected that the incantation was faulty. Well basically, any summoning without first obtaining the consent of the summoned beforehand - is flawed in my opinion. I place first all those responsible for the summoning on the side of the bad ones.

"I introduced myself to the summoned heroes and made it clear that I am not their teacher. I think we can safely assume that I am not a heroine but was simply taken along as a bystander. I explained to the heroes that I hope to build a new life here in peace.

Furthermore, I reminded them to be polite to higher-ups." With a friendly smile, I added "May I know your name? It would be rude not to address you by your name."

Rude, my ass. Uncle Sasha once explained to me how you could understand Churchill's words too. No need to be rude to you before I bury you.

Now, regarding my answers to Uncle Robe's questions. There is nothing like hiding the important truths behind a mountain of unimportant facts.

 

Skill: Misdirection learned

 

But what an interesting display of facial expressions from Uncle Robe. From curiosity to slight annoyance and disdain to approval. And then dismay at his own faux pas. Apparently Uncle Robe thinks a lot of himself.

The faces of one half of the knights, on the other hand, told me what I needed to know.

Slight condescension. Lechery. Would-be dominance. Without a position of power, some men might try to take liberties with me. A lot of work ahead of me.

"Excuse me, Lady Laura. I am the royal court magician de Mitchcombe. Michaele de Mitchcombe. My eldest brother is the Count de Mitchcombe," Uncle Robe - er the Royal Court Wizard de Mitchcombe announced with discernible snobbery. Son of a count, indeed! And better I don't forget it!

Fortunately, I managed to draw his attention back to the "heroes" as the main attraction by asking him to explain why and where we were. What came out felt like a pre-rehearsed, long-winded sales pitch.

 

Blahblah ... Kingdom in jeopardy ... Attackers ... Demons ... war ... last resort ... gods ... heroes ... ritual ... summoning ... Help ... rescue ... eternal gratitude ... Blablah Blah!

 

While Uncle Robe - uh the royal court wizard was giving his speech an idea came to me. In my head I thought: <I speak English.>

 

Skill: Language learned English

 

Awesome!

 

<Je parle français.>

<Io parlo italiano.>

<Yo hablo español.>

<Ik spreek Nederlands.>

<Ja mówię po polsku.>

Skill: Language learned French

Skill: Language learned Italian

Skill: Language learned Spanish

Skill: Language learned Dutch

Skill: Language learned Polish

 

Old Viking! I can only speak a few words in all of these languages. Maybe this world has some perks to take advantage of after all. What else is possible? Ah!

 

<Ich spreche Deutsch.>

<tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhha' jIH.>

<Inye qet Eldarin.>1SH doesn´t seem to support all fonts, try Tengwar

Skill: Language learned German

Skill: Language learned Klingon

Skill: Language learned Elvish

 

Title earned: Language Talent

No matter what language is spoken or written, you understand it! Condition: More than 10 languages learned.

 

Unbelievable! Oh holy mechanics! If this isn't a cheat, I don't know what is. This opens up possibilities. Maybe I should think about a career as a mad engineer. After all, there are enough mad scientists around.

De Mitchcombe came to the end of his talk and concluded with the words "Dear heroes - the King wishes to meet you. Please follow me to the audience with His Majesty!"

Advancing, he gestured to the 20 students to follow him. I was curious whether my presence was also desired. Or perhaps ordered?

The mystery dissolved quite quickly, however, as the knights led us all out of the summoning room. They shielded our group to the sides and to the rear. Or escorted. Or walk us off? De Mitchcombe led the procession like a mother duck. If I had been uninvolved, I would have found it fun to watch. So, on the other hand, the decision to leave this environment as soon as possible strengthened in me. Somehow I had a feeling that I had no future here. At least no future that would please me. A glorified crafter deprived of my well-deserved wages at best, or a leprechaun kept under strict surveillance, producing wondrous artifacts for the sovereignty? Where did the feeling come from?

Premonition? Prophecy? Divination? Or good old female intuition? Buy one and get two more for free!

I'll have to see if there isn't an opportunity to make contacts outside this kingdom. Better I downplay my value until then. No, that would be wrong. It makes more sense for me to keep what an engineer is capable of while maintaining the appearance of a person of respect - meaning noble.

If someone had told me that the summonings would be performed in the dungeon, I would have believed it without hesitation. The building style had its charm, in my opinion. With a few tweaks from me, I'm sure I could "impress" a few female delinquents. Perhaps I should copy the design for my own use. We were led along underground corridors with stone walls and climbed two flights of stairs until we stepped through a gate onto a grassy plaza. Based on its size of about 100 by 70 meters, the growth of grass and trees, and the lack of glass facades on the buildings around it, this was probably just a lesser courtyard.

How I would love to have a little more time to set my goals straight and then plan how best to proceed. I hate not having a plan. A good engineer plans first before implementing. Methodical approach usually saves time or prevents things from going wrong.

No better time to set my immediate priorities!

  1. more time
  2. keep as many options open as possible
  3. collect information
  4. build up contacts
  5. escape plan

 

Uhhh! Thought error. The escape plan must be top priority. If the worst comes to the worst, my freedom should come first. Escaping from a prison is significantly harder than just disappearing on a walk. Ideally, I would be able to persuade the king to simply hand me a sum of money and send me on my way. The next best alternative would be for me to disappear from the palace after a certain amount of time. While shopping, while walking or at night through underground secret passages. The worst case scenario would be if I first had to free myself from my chains in a dungeon room before I had to fight my way through the palace. While the last option means quite a lot of work and danger for me, the others just need some persuasion and maybe some cloaking. The way I look now, I stand out like a protruding nail. At first opportunity get clothes appropriate to the purpose. Noted.

On our way through the castle, unobtrusively drawing up a map in my head with possible escape routes, I noticed a few things in the decor. Or rather, their absence. Hardly any window glass. No mirrors. In the more sumptuous corridors, instead of candlesticks on the wall or ceiling, there were crystals. The servants always stepped aside and bowed to de Mitchcombe before going on with their work. The "heroes" were given glances with slight reverence. Meanwhile I was looked at with open curiosity. And once with slight indignation by a male servant. Yes, better I do not stay here longer than necessary.

Oh, I'm not asking for equal rights for women. Only my rights. I'm comparing my equal treatment like to how adults behave with each other. You are an adult when you behave like an adult. And those who do not respect me as an adult get to know me. Adulthood and equal treatment, in my opinion, is not something you are "given" when you come of age or by society. You take care of how you want to be treated and defend it. But, it is one's own free choice how one wants to be treated. If someone wants to be treated like a child or unequally, I can deal with it with a clear conscience. I don't fight for other people's rights. I think many people confuse equal rights and equal treatment. And sometimes misunderstand it. Equality means that everyone is equal before the law. And equal treatment means that everyone is treated equally. If, as here, the king's word is law, the king also decides on the law. Equal rights are therefore of no use. If one insists on equal treatment, I can sit back calmly and argue that I treat everyone equally like scum and thus everyone is treated equally. No thanks, I think it's better to take care of your own equal rights and equal treatment and not wait for them to be handed to you on a platter.

Finally, we walk through a lavishly outfitted hallway with high ceilings and additional guards toward a magnificently decorated double door. Our column and escort followed de Mitchcombe's increasingly elated steps. The two flights open as soon as the court wizard approaches.

And he enters the throne room. So much for politely explaining court protocol to us.

Bowing to the man on the throne, de Mitchcombe announced, "Your Majesty. I would like to present to you, the heroes we have summoned." Turning to us, "Honored heroes, kneel before His Majesty, Edward the Third. Ruler of the Kingdom of Mitoran. Their Highnesses Queen Regina and Crown Princess Victoria!"

The 20 students knelt before the king.

I, on the other hand, remained standing, waiting for my cue.

After a few seconds of tense silence, a low murmur began in the court. As was to be expected. Well, let's see what happens.

De Mitchcombe's face changed color between pale and red before the king fixed me with a curious expression and asked, "Why don't you kneel?" Ah, my sign. Show time!

"Your Majesty, I was not asked to kneel. Your royal court wizard explicitly addressed the heroes to kneel before you. I was summoned here but I am not a hero." De Mitchcombe realized he had put his foot in his mouth again and now turned even paler. Continuing, I explained, "Your Majesty, apparently there was not enough time to properly brief us all on Your court protocol." and glanced at the court wizard with a raised eyelash and slightly irritated tone. De Mitchcombe turned even paler. Turning back to the king, I dropped to my right knee and said, "Your Majesty. I apologize for the faux pas regarding protocol." That could be taken either way.

The king looked slightly annoyed. But he didn't seem to have decided yet who would be the target of his anger. The court, on the other hand, could be seen to be almost bursting at the exclamations on their tongues. Apparently the court was not happy that I was talking to the king at all.

I had already counted De Mitchcombe out, but now I was anxious to see the king. In the end, it wouldn't change the final outcome, he was responsible for the summoning. And I take my kidnapping, even if it saved my life, quite with forgiveness. Not.

The King rose from his throne and said, "My heroes, welcome and arise. We and Our Kingdom need your help. Please support us in our fight against the enemies of the people."

 

My heroes. Mine. Property indicative pronoun. Possessive pronoun. Singular.

There are few nicer words to denote slaves. Read the room, kouhai. Read the room.

 

I'm not a nerd about isekai stories but even for me this was clear cliché. Moreover, the king had gotten on my very bad side.

I continued to kneel smiling and promising myself to punish him at the right opportunity. His time would come.

The king and the court again began to look at me in irritation. De Mitchcombe, on the other hand, seemed to have an idea. Perhaps I should allow the court wizard a few brain cells?

"Why don't you rise?" the king demanded to know. "Your Majesty, you have only allowed the heroes to rise." The quiet realization that he had made the same mistake as his court wizard did not seem to please him. By now I had thought of a few retorts and was waiting for the right opportunity to trap him.

"Rise and declare yourselves!" demanded King Edward the Third. Thank you, Edward. Perfect.

I rose and replied, "Your Majesty. As I told your Royal Court Wizard de Mitchcombe, my name is Laura Dominika and that I am almost certainly not a hero." I wonder if there's any blood left in de Mitchcombe's head at all.  "I would ask Your Majesty not to address me in the pluralis majestatis. Among other things, my beloved parents would have to die before I could become queen." THAT hit like a wrecking ball. After my declaration, I was a potential queen who had every right to be angry about her treatment at his court. And best of all, it was all true. I could become queen, but a lot of people and my parents would have to die. Almost all the citizens of Germany. Sadanobu-kun looked at me strangely. Well, I hadn't lied. What can I do about the fact that the probability is close to zero?

Skill: Language Learned Latin

"Your Majesty, I can live with Lady Laura. If Your Majesty will allow me to make the suggestion, why don't you handle Your business with Your heroes first and we can discuss our mutual relations later in a smaller setting?" I asked. I could have sworn the king had lost some of his facial tan at the implications my words might have.

The King nodded, "That seems like a good suggestion to Us, Lady Laura." My cue.

"Honored heroes. I wish you well on your paths. May our future paths not cross in evil. Enko-kun, I'm sure your sister is fine. If you wish, I will be happy to talk to you about her," and I bowed to my kouhai. And my kouhai bowed back, "All the best, Laura-sama." Lower. Enko-kun smiled at me and winked.

I bowed slightly to the king, nodded to the queen and princess, "Your Majesty, Your Highnesses, with Your permission, I retire until we can meet again." With grace befitting the occasion, I strode out of the throne room. Like a queen. After 6 weeks of rehearsing for the stage play in 10th grade, it's to be expected.

 

Skill: Deception learned

I think I've earned that.

 

Aquired title:

Language Talent

 

Aquired Skills:

[NEW] Concealment
[NEW] Polite Speaking
[NEW] Misdirection
[NEW] Deception
[NEW] Language Japanese
[NEW] Language English
[NEW] Language French
[NEW] Language Italian
[NEW] Language Spanish
[NEW] Language Dutch
[NEW] Language Polish
[NEW] Language German
[NEW] Language Klingon
[NEW] Language Elvish
[NEW] Language Latin
Language Moldanian

66