Vol. 1 SS 15 – Ladies of Society
1.1k 9 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
"There can be no doubt that there may be beauty in pain. Why else is it said that who wants to be beautiful must suffer? The vast majority of women will confirm this. And billions of women can not be wrong."
Unknown Origin

 

 

 

Nuldur was a witch's cauldron. The city was not like a witch's cauldron, it was one. The ladies of high society were beside themselves. It was just not so clear whether they were out of their minds due to anger or fear. For as long as I could remember, there had never been such a seething behind the closed doors of the tearooms. From what I was told and from what I could see, it was obviously the boiling anger of rejected ladies of the society that was at the forefront. But as soon as I looked a little deeper, I recognized this abysmal horror, this unspeakable fear of being excluded. And after my conversations with Felie de Fawkes, the future wife of my brother Ealdrert, this fear was quite justified. Felie implored me to be extremely cautious and, for the gods' sake, to not let myself get carried away with anything.

 

I gave her warning every bit of respect I was capable of. This Lady Laura had an outrageously stunning track record. The De Fawkes and De Halond families had been wiped out with an ease that was unique in the history of the kingdom. It was as if a fearsome, evil goddess had simply trampled a pack of wild dogs because they had had the temerity to yap at her. Behind closed doors there were some who rejoiced in the destruction of the House of De Fawkes with the appropriate satisfaction. The family was partly hated to the blood. I could understand this only too well. My abhorrence for Virga de Fawkes was not legendary but deep.

 

At first, I was vehemently against the engagement of Ealdrert and Felie. However, after meeting her in person, I understood that Felie had weaknesses in her personality but was otherwise very, very far removed from her parents. I listened in disbelief to her descriptions of the night Lady Laura "made her point" in the blood feud. The nefariousness and mercilessness left me breathless. And it didn't get any quieter after that. Whoever opposed Lady Laura had either forfeited life or freedom.

 

My family held the rank of Viscount, but our fortune was not great. Father was therefore quite pleased with the dowry Felie would bring into the marriage. What blew him away was the nonchalance with which Lady Laura had waved off any interest in the dowry. What he didn't know, Lady Laura had sent Felie an account in the same amount of the dowry in her own bank as a gift. Whoever or whatever this woman was, money and wealth didn't really impress her. And after the latest gossip, she didn't really care about social standing. Even the queen, who was socially above all other women paid attention to etiquette.

 

Until the world-shattering events that followed a small intimate soiree at Lady Laura's.

 

The next day, Mother and I received excited requests from several friends in regard to new underwear. Underwear of a kind that was previously completely unknown. The female network in Nuldur is divided but it is fast. What someone could even run their mouth about was known everywhere in hours. As soon as I heard the name Cebille, I jumped up and ordered the coachman to hitch up and dragged mother to the dressing room. I was aware that in this case the fastest would win.

 

How could I have been so wrong. Yes, on the premises at Cebille Bientout, our eyes went wide open as to what it was all about. And we acted on the spot. Our measurements were taken and our order was one of the first to be accepted. Mother and I congratulated each other on this successful coup. We were as gleeful as children. Until the queen made a disastrous mistake. She put pressure on Cebille and Lady Laura was not amused.

 

Lady Laura's letter, which reached us as customers of Cebille Bientout, was polite, concise and to the point.

 

And with just two pithy sentences, she wiped away the social hierarchy among the ladies of higher society. Each of us felt like an adolescent girl who had just been sent back to the children's table. I only heard what the reactions were in the other houses. Before Mother could dictate a scathing reply to Bientout, Felie commented, "That's exactly how it started with my mother. You are not dealing with a seamstress here. I can only urge you to calm down and think carefully. You are about to attack the employee of the woman who wiped out my old family. Please don't do anything to make me lose my new family too."

 

Mother and I both turned very pale as we realized the implications. And ordered the most soothing tea we had. Some things women understand without having to say a word. My mother just nodded as I started writing messages to all our friends and allies for an urgent meeting to discuss our reaction. Mother's hands shook as she asked more to herself than to me after the first cup, "She wouldn't go so far as to exclude us, would she Azais?" This idea made my blood run cold. I had seen the underwear with my own eyes and I was aware of the disadvantage a woman would be compared to her competitors and much worse her own loss in the process.

 

After careful deliberation and weighing the consequences, we decided to politely accept the invitation. With due respect, we inquired of Queen Regina whether she also wished to accept the invitation and, with regard to the reference to social constraints, what etiquette she desired. In retrospect, I should be over my knee for my ignorance. A little more attention might not have spared us this embarrassing moment, but it certainly would have eased it. I will never again doubt the power of words. May the gods help me.

 

Before the day of the invitation arrived, however, something unheard of occurred.

 

The king and his chamberlain wanted to ban the "Secret Underwear," as it had come to be called. In no time at all, this information raced through every house from the announcers at the market. While the reactions against Lady Laura were very moderate behind closed parlor doors due to wiser silence, the reactions against the king and the chamberlain were not too far from an open revolt. The news received by the queen, the king and the chamberlain must have caused an incredible panic. The chamberlain attacked the estate of Lady Laura with one hundred fighters, including even a company of mercenaries. An ambassador, for gods' sake! I can't imagine what would make the chamberlain start a war other than complete stupidity and panic.

 

Even more so, an endeavor that failed so miserably that it too had never been recorded in the history books. My sources among the common folk reported that Lady Laura sat in complete silence in her chair, drinking tea and watching as each attacker fell dead. As if by magic. Without lifting a finger. What followed, however, was barbarism, to say the least. With the help of a few slaves and servants, she cut off the head of each corpse and impaled it on the road. Next to all the corpses hanging from the gallows, the sight must have been very repulsive. Why she cremated the bodies was not clear to anyone. Once again I thank our luck for Felie. Without her, there would have been a good chance of finding family members there as well. Privately we received thank you messages from other families we had warned.

 

The mood of Mother and me on the day of the invitation before our carriage departed fluctuated between nervous breakdowns and fits of rage. And when we arrived, it was as if a huge weight had fallen off us. We were just not yet aware of what awaited us.

 

The experienced and reliable coachman of our family steered us safely to our destination and the first big surprise was Virga de Fawkes. Or rather now the Duchess Virga de Halond, if the rumors were to be trusted. It was obvious how much my mother had to pull herself together not to lose her composure. Inwardly, I prepared myself for the inevitable confrontation. But the moment we stood in front of Virga, we experienced our second surprise. She bowed to us and welcomed us with the words "My Mistress Lady Laura has instructed me to welcome all the guests. Until all the guests have arrived, there will be drinks for refreshment. Viscountess de Lenty, Lady de Lenty, my Mistress wishes to remind you that there will be no distinction in rank during the housewarming. Every one of your bodily needs will be taken care of. All it takes is your desire. Please help yourself as you wish or simply ask. We are happy to be at your service."

 

As the Duchess turned away and instructed the coachman where to wait, I could only look at my mother in disbelief. Whatever was happening here, Virga had none of her former spitefulness or arrogant demeanor about her. I was sure that this would require a deeper analysis before we could even begin to understand what we had just seen.

 

The next surprise was the clothing. With a few exceptions, there were only women. And almost all of them were in some kind of uniform. Not like the armor and mail that our soldiers and guards usually wore, no a uniform made of cloth. Tailor-made for each one as my mother recognized at first glance. I noticed the collar that marked them as slaves. They were about half human and demi-human. But all were impeccably dressed. I didn't notice at first until Mother called my attention to it. Each one smiled proudly and my impression was, each one of them wanted to be in that very place. It was a strange experience to me, usually everyone who owned slaves knew how much they hated their masters. And it showed in their eyes and behavior. But not here.

 

My mother gasped loudly next to me. A female slave held out a tray to us. I reacted the same way as my mother when I saw what was there. Glasses. Long and slender, but most importantly, completely transparent. "May I offer you something? We have sparkling water or sparkling wine to choose from. My mistress assures both will be a completely new experience in themselves." Cautiously, we each grasped one of these incredible treasures. And it was the full truth. Cool, sparkling water. It tingled on my tongue and in my mouth. And I was sure at that moment, I would never want anything else. Until mother offered me the "sparkling wine." Mother asked if there was a possibility to buy some of the sparkling wine. In my head, meanwhile, everything was still revolving around the unique feeling that had gripped me. "There is no need to do so ladies, each guest will receive a number of bottles as a gift from our mistress." She bowed gracefully and headed for the other guests. Mother leaned on me a little.

 

The last guest to arrive was Queen Regina with her daughter Victoria, the Crown Princess. And thirteen young girls to my amazement. It was interesting to see how both sisters were embracing each other. And then how Virga answered a question from the queen without words but definitely with a shake of her head in the negative. Mother looked at the two thoughtfully, but gave me no indication of what was going on inside her. Before I could ask a question, something remarkable happened.

 

Each slave turned in one direction and their postures changed. All were now standing straight and in a kind of tension, similar to what I had seen in soldiers. And then all conversation fell silent as two more women approached. Both were dressed in evidently better uniforms. The radiance emanating from the woman in front flowed over us like a wave. Her gaze swept over us and I felt myself growing smaller. It felt like a large predator entering the clearing and just deciding if a meal was convenient. The indifferent look on her face slowly turned into a warm smile, just as if a piece of ice was thawing in the sun.

 

"Honored guests, thank you for coming to the housewarming of my "Sanus per Aquam". Rest assured I meant everything I wrote in my invitation to you. Before we can proceed, I recommend each of the men present here to leave the property now. You were not invited." Lady Laura welcomed us and I had not the slightest doubt that this impressive woman was our hostess. What I did not understand was her referring to men being present. I could not see any man anymore here. Astonished, not only did I look around but so did a number of the other guests. "Very well, gentlemen. It is your choice." Then she made a quick gesture and movement with her hand and fingers. A sound rang out similar to a clap. And five of the slaves suddenly held something in their hands that made a hissing sound and sprayed a kind of mist. Hardly any time passed when a loud screeching and wailing sounded. Men became visible in front of the feet of four slave girls. The fifth slave kicked at what appeared to be something on the ground and I was surprised to hear a plaintive wail from there. "Somehow I seem to have trouble making myself understood, or the men here are deaf or just too stupid." She personally put a slave collar on each of the men and ordered them to go inside and wait in one of the cells in the basement until she would take care of them. No one was allowed to speak or use magic anymore.

 

I remembered the sentence in the invitation.

 

I can assure you that we will be completely undisturbed by male eyes.

 

It was undeniable, she had meant what she had written. I just wondered who the idiot was who had sent them. It seemed that not for the first time Lady Laura had unwanted "invisible" male visitors. Oddly enough, the young girls who had come with the Queen and Crown Princess were giggling as if at a joke they already knew. Something more to talk about with Mother and Felie, no doubt. Any invisibles that might be listening in on every conversation or watching someone was an alarming problem. As soon as we got back home we would take countermeasures. And gods have mercy on those I would catch. Before I could lose myself in retaliatory fantasies Lady Laura continued.

 

"It is unfortunate that in Nuldur it seems to be "normality" to be harassed by such thugs. But now let us proceed. Enko-kun, my kouhai, the simplified isekai onsen rules apply. But no boob-grabbing in the general area. If you feel like it, ask for a private area." Each of the young girls seemed to know exactly what Lady Laura was talking about, and most of them blushed. A few made a slightly disappointed expression. The rest of us understood nothing.

 

"If everyone may follow me, I will explain the rules. My kouhai already know something similar from their homeland. It applies:

 

Rule 1: Strict separation of the sexes

Rule 2: Thorough hygiene

Rule 3: There is no rank in bathing

Rule 4: Relax and feel good

Rule 5: No clothes in the water

Rule 6: No naughtiness in the public area

 

Contact the girls with the red towels with your wishes, any needs you may have. They will also answer any question you have about the bath. Once we have relaxed a bit we will discuss any misunderstandings you have about your orders."

 

I couldn't put the disturbing thoughts that were rising in me into words fast enough before we came to two very large doors. Glass doors. If at the glasses for drinking earlier each of us was excited about the wealth, now there was only shocked silence to be seen. The large wings were opened inward by two female slaves. Both had only a red towel swung around their waists. Lady Laura glided past them like an undisputed ruler. With a naturalness she entered the first room and told us to follow her. In the room, in a semicircle, stood other slave girls dressed only in a towel. And then it struck me. NONE of these women had a collar on. What by the gods was going on here?

 

"In the next room we can undress. Shoes will be taken off here. Just hand them over to my girls. Everything will be taken care of." demonstrated Lady Laura in taking off her shoes and passing them on. The row of slave girls in uniform who had come with us had already taken off all their shoes and were already walking ahead. Lady Laura waited patiently for us. Her "girls" helped in case a dress restricted the freedom of movement of the respective wearer too much. I walked on over a wonderfully soft, fluffy carpet to the announced next room with my mother holding my hand. The carpet felt so good on my feet.

 

After the entire group was gathered again, Lady Laura began to undress before our eyes as a matter of course. Supported by one of her "girls". The uniform was folded and put into a box. Under the shocked eyes of her guests, she explained as if it was the most normal thing in the world to expose herself in front of an audience. Even though we were all women. Her slave girls followed at her heels without prompting. This time I could clearly see the collars. But then each of the women regardless of whether human or demi-human took off the bands. Without any visible effort. As if they were simple pieces of jewelry. I didn't know what to make of it, let alone think. Virga also took off her clothes and told her sister and niece to start. The only conspicuous thing was the reaction of the queen and the crown princess. Both looked as if they had surrendered to their fate. And let themselves be helped to undress. I gave myself a jolt and although it was embarrassing there was no reason to be coy. After all, we were all women. But I took it upon myself to pay close attention to what Lady Laura said in the future. Her comment:

 

Any clothing needed will be provided.

 

now made sense. However, I would never have thought of hinting like that at a communal bath among women. If this woman had such a way with words, she didn't need weapons. Then I painfully remembered the bodies piled up next to her. Lady Laura was better armed than a small army.

 

The subsequent shower compensated for the awkward undressing. There were the most wonderful soaps I could imagine. Fragrant, lathering soap. If every woman in the room felt as good as I did we were in a women's heaven here. Once I got my friends together I would have a story to tell that would make them green with envy. Lady Laura demonstrated to us on her "aide" how we could also help each other. Especially in the places that were hard to get to. I was sure, however, that her " aide " visibly enjoyed being soaped up by Lady Laura more than was proper. Some of the young girls giggled at the sight and said something like "yui" and "etsi" but I wasn't sure. But they were also helping each other getting clean, so it was probably a normal thing apparently. It didn't really help my nerves to calm down as I imagined being soaped up by one of the slave girls. What also didn't help was the knowing smile I got back at my curious looks. This time my heart was definitely going faster.

 

But the cold shower brought me back to reality in no time. Luckily. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to ask for one of those "private" areas.

 

Lady Laura ran in front of me after the shower. The sight of her ass made me terribly envious. This butt was perfectly shaped. And it was clear that she knew exactly that every woman behind her was bursting with envy. Her aide noticed my look and leaned over to me and said softly "Yes, Lady Azais, we all think the same thing. Just perfect. But believe me, the rest is even better." Desperately I tried to distract myself mentally. What I succeeded only with very much trouble and also only just. But then she asked if I didn't want to come with Lady Laura and her to one of the private baths later. It would be an eye-opening experience for any woman. Whimpering, I noticed the choice of words. Apparently the choice of words was rubbing off on her aide as well.

 

The Gods may help me.

 

The hall, for it could not be described as anything else, was incredibly large. Many other buildings would fit into it without any spatial problems. In every direction. The adolescent girls let out high-pitched cries of joy at the truly opulent sight of water-filled pools, plants, armchairs, couches ... and of the huge windows that allowed a view to the outside. I could not and did not want to imagine how much wealth was put in here. Probably a really good piece of the kingdom. It was undeniable that if Lady Laura were to put this gold into an army instead of bathing, the kingdom would face ruin. My gaze twitched to the queen but there I could only see the incredulous stare at the outrageous wealth. With the princess, however, I could see the same concern that I felt. This invitation was NOT bragging with wealth on display. And I was beginning to get a bad feeling about how much our misunderstanding about our orders was going to bite us in the butt.

 

During the hot bath, conversations about family, relatives and friends rippled along. Every woman in the pool enjoyed the rising heat. Lady Laura demonstrated an amazing knowledge of higher society in Mitoran, and Nuldur in particular. It hurts to be beaten at your own game but she outplayed us all. In our honor, I can say that all the participants of the social game who were present understood this. We were women - not stupid. The master of the game proved her superiority by waiting patiently and only after everyone had reached this point, she said in a relaxed manner "I think we understand each other and I hope I don't have to hold back whole deliveries again to save my subordinates from senseless pressure. If you would like to follow me, I have trained my girls in massages. I think it will suit you."

 

 

Mother and I had to urgently convince Father that either we were on Lady Laura's side or we would make it credibly clear that we were neutral. Otherwise, we would just be kicked into the gutter like another pack of street mutts. By the movements of her girls and women around her, I recognized the intrinsic motivation. They wanted to be with her. To follow her. Her commands were the casual signs and words. The charismatic aura of a true leader. To my shame, it was clear that our queen could never hold a candle to this woman. Perhaps the crown princess. But I wasn't willing to bet my family on it. The procedure so far, according to custom, only wiped out the adult males in a blood feud. Virga's status indicated something special. She must have done something that had displeased Lady Laura so much as to put a collar on her. Becoming enslaved had done her being good, without question, but the more I thought about what in detail had led to this change the more it attracted me. These were dangerous considerations in which I would lose myself.

 

I even wondered if I would enjoy being in Virga's place.

 

We had to convince Father, if not nothing good awaited us on the other side.

 

 

I will mention NOTHING, but really NOTHING about what happened in the massage area. NOTHING happened there that would be worth mentioning in any respect. Not to mention worth mentioning. Especially when Lady Laura asked me and the Crown Princess to use the oil on her .....

 

NOTHING happened!

 

 

We sat in silence in our carriage on the return trip. We took turns sighing softly at the memories of what had happened earlier. My father welcomed us in a good mood and led us to the salon with the new "alcoholic" where my brother Ealdrert, Viscount de Mondenor and his eldest son and heir Bealdar de Mondenor were already sitting and happily praising the new drinks. My father enlightened me and mother that he had taken the opportunity to invite a few of his friends. But it would not be necessary to tell about our meeting at Lady Laura's. Each of them would have hired a spy to find out what dirty laundry this woman was hiding. Soon the balance of the social hierarchy would be restored and the women could play their game again with peace of mind. He would have expected the spies to arrive before us. We should just get comfortable and chat a bit before they would arrive.

 

Mother lost every bit of color from her face and collapsed in front of us. My father cried out in panic for a doctor.

 

I remembered my own thought, who was this idiot who had sent the spies. I did not come up with my own father. Before my eyes I saw every man in the room hanging from a gallows. How much time Lady Laura would spend "playing" with her women I wondered. Would she have an orgy all night? Maybe she would not feel like taking care of her new "spy slaves" until noon tomorrow? Did I still have time to say goodbye to my friends? Would Lady Laura allow me to serve her like Virga? If I hurried, I could return and participate in the orgy as a willing sacrificial lamb. Would that appease Lady Laura?

 

Perhaps all was not lost. I yelled for a bucket of water. Immediately and on the spot. Mother had no right to rest on the floor. And I began screaming my father, my brother, and their two guests into the ground. It took me a full quarter of an hour to get out of breath. But Mother, after being rudely but quickly awakened by a bucket of water, seamlessly took over my rant. Over an hour later, it was clear to my moron of a father and the idiot who was my brother that they were already dead and only because the executioner had not yet had time to read the list of pending executions for today were they still alive.

 

My father and Viscount de Mondenor were feverishly searching for a solution. From escape to begging the king for help, everything was there. Everything was futile. Nothing had a chance of even the slightest success.

 

A servant came running excitedly into the drawing room. And behind him followed Lady Laura. In uniform. Surrounded by her equally uniformed escorts. The previously so friendly faces, who had read our every wish from our lips and fulfilled it, now cold and full of readiness to serve. Her adjutant, Mariette was her name, held a severed head by the hair. So freshly decapitated that the blood was still slowly dripping onto our floor.

 

"Viscount de Mondenor, gentlemen, how obliging of you all to meet here. It makes it immensely easier for me. And I am grateful that you are willing to save me time." I recognized Baron Natal. He was no more pleasant to look at in death than he was alive. Nothing ventured, nothing gained?

 

 

"Lady Laura, are you perhaps grateful enough to accept an apology?"

 

"Azais, dear, that is the best suggestion I have yet received from anyone in this matter. All the Baron wanted was to see me burned at the stake. Perhaps you would care to elaborate on the apology? N'est-ce pas, cherie?"

 

And so I began our apology.

 

Lady Laura accepted, to our great relief.

 

And we accepted the conditions Lady Laura attached to her acceptance.

 

 

I would be a frequent guest of Lady Laura's in the near future.

 

 

The sacrifices a woman is willing to make just to be allowed to go in and out of a temple of beauty are immeasurable. Whether I may use the oil again?

 

This short story has become longer than I actually thought it would be. Not really significant from the point of view of the story itself, but I like the writing style quite a bit.

Write your opinions if you like.

 

32