Arc 1 – Promise to a God
2.7k 6 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Finally feeling his senses kicking in, Kirin noticed that he was resting on a rather comfortable bed with marshmallow-like cushioning. Sitting up, he felt looked at the exquisite interior design of the room he was currently in. White, sheer drapes hung from the bed frame, looking like wisps of spider webs; somewhat ethereal like as the bright full moon shined through the open window. As Kirin shifted, he felt soft silky strands brush touch his bare shoulders that were exposed. His eyes widened in surprise. He had long hair; long, straight, inky black hair that fell down to his lower back. He was in a pale lavender robe that had golden peony and lotus designs.

S-01?

[I'm here. I'll be sending you the information right now.] S-01 answered, appearing beside Kirin in the form of a white, misty and smoky floating wisp-like orb.

Waiting for a few second, all of sudden, Kirin's mind was greeted with a surge of information pertaining to this world, as well as the memories of the former. In this world, there were demons, gods, mortals, and immortals who could ascend to become gods. Kirin was now possessing the body of Hua Yu, a Demon King of the Demon Realm; ruler of the Deathly Flower mountains in the Yin region of the demon realm. In Hua Yu's first life, he was just a street orphan in the continent of Shang, scavenging for scraps in order to survive. He has been alone for as long he could remember. Growing up he never had a name, often being referred as 'hey!' 'orphan boy' 'street rat' and so on. Beaten, kicked, punched, humiliated, but despite all that, Hua Yu remained kind, steady, always looking at world with eyes filled with wonder.

It wasn't until he met Jin, another young orphan, who later became his sworn brother. And the one who gave him his current name, Hua Yu.

Together, they both fought their way in and entered cultivation sects, cultivating the magic arts, becoming immortal cultivators after 200 years. After leaving the sect, they both made a blood pact, becoming sworn brothers. As sworn brothers, they traveled the world, eliminating evil as they went. They also didn't forget to indulge in worldly desires every once in a while, such as drinking, gambling and sex.

When they finally returned to their home kingdom, the flags of war have been raised. They have gone through thick and thin throughout this lifetime of theirs, and as sworn brothers, they were going to live together and they were going to die together. Because their kingdom was attacked by three others, their kingdom fell immediately. 

By this time, Jin and Hua Yu were just foot soldiers, though their strengths proved otherwise. Although their kingdom was overrun and seized, they both still fought valiantly. However, as Tian Xu's reign was coming to an end, just as Jin was taking his last breath within Hua Yu's arms, a divine lightning struck, making Jin ascend to the heavens to become a god, leaving Hua Yu to die a lonely death amongst all the other corpses, filled with regret and anger – that Jin had finally left and abandoned him though they have sworn to stick together through life and death.

It wasn't long until those regrets and anger took form, leaving him to become a ghost in the human realm. If he couldn't become a god, he would become a demon. And for the past 400 years, Hua Yu transformed from a low-class ghost into a high-ranking demon, battling and consuming other demons to form his core source of demonic essence. 

It wasn't until another 100 years later that Hua Yu established himself the title The Nameless Demon King, and that was due to the fact that he fought and consumed all the demon kings that lived before he did and never gave a name when inquired. After he established a title for himself, he was no longer the same; no longer the same kind and caring person he once was as his eyes were empty, filled with nothingness. He never treated his subordinates like beings that had emotions, using them like disposal tools.

Within the next 50 years as Hua Yu reigned, many gods who have entered into his domain, died and perished. After becoming a martial god of the north 500 years ago, Jin decided to visit this nameless Demon King. To his surprise, it was his sworn brother... however, he was no longer the same. But Jin never lost hope that he could bring his sworn brother back. Though there were many times they argued and fought to the death, especially when Hua Yu clearly had the upper hand, Hua Yu never took Jin's life; always allowing him to go back to the heavens to recuperate.

After a century of going back and forth, many celestial officials have begun to notice the relationship between them; it was abnormal – enemies could not become friends, especially if one was a god and the other a demon. Many began to talk, saying Jin was beginning to become corrupt, which would be bad for his name since he was a famous and prosperous martial god with many followers. His reputation was highly respected among the others in the Heavens, so to be mingling around a demon king was ridiculously absurd.

As time passed on, various epidemics and famine devoured the land spreading across many regions of the continent, and its place of origin – the City of Gold, where the first and main worshipping temple of the Martial God of the North resided. Consumed by superstition and belief, many raided into Jin's city, eradicating his people and his temples, all were killed and burned to ash, but some did manage to flee. Even though Jin has tried to eliminating the the epidemic, it would always mysteriously start up again. 

Trying to pacify the mortals also seemed ineffective, especially since he was not allowed to directly interact or alter these humans' fates, per se The Great Heavenly Emperor. Soon after, all of his temples around the country were destroyed. Having lost his followers and blessings, the Great Heavenly Emperor was benevolent enough to have him stripped of his godhood position, banishing him back to the human realm, rather than having him be forgotten, turning to ash.

When Jin descended, Hua Yu did absolutely nothing. Not once did he try to shelter Jin from his rotten fate. All Hua Yu could think was, it served him right. In their first life, Jin ascended to become a god, leaving him behind. Now, their roles have been reversed. Though Hua Yu was now a demon king, Jin was now just a mere human being; insignificant. Hua Yu never offered a helping hand nor did Jin seek for his assistance. It was as if the ties between them never existed.

For many centuries passed when Hua Yu came across Jin once again, but it was just his remains that he came across that were abandoned in the ditch of a secluded mountain. Jin died a lonely death. Recovering his remains, Hua Yu gave Jin a proper burial. Years later, Hua Yu was tracked down, trapped and eliminated by a group of monks who have received the greatest blessings from the Great Heavenly Emperor. Hua Yu accepted his fate voluntarily with no resistance. Hua Yu died feeling nothing but emptiness. He lived an unfulfilling life. He kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever did happen. So much for becoming a Demon King – wasted efforts for nothing; nothing but a wasteful life...

62