Promise to a God (8)
1.7k 7 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After returning with the silk fabric Kirin requested, Yuno was about to excuse himself when Kirin called out after him. 

“I am going into seclusion for the next few days. I’ll be out before Lord Jin marries. So, if he comes asking, tell him that,” Kirin stated. Yuno nodded his head and headed out, closing the door after him. 

Setting up a barrier surrounding his room, Kirin closed all the windows before heading to one of the stone walls in the room. Sliding his fingers across the surface, he found the dud and pressed on it, trigger for a stone door to open. As soon as Kirin entered, the stone door closed. 

=== 

Watching the demon children running about, Jin felt restless. It's already been eight days! It's already been eight days yet there was no sign of Kirin coming out of seclusion. He’s already going to be getting married in two days!  

“Hey, hey, Lord Jin!” Ao yelled over to him. 

Jin looks up to the demon child. 

“Look at what I can do!” he said happily before he vanished, as if an invisible cloak came wrapping around him, making him blend in with his surroundings. 

Jin’s eyes widened in surprise. “Ao?” 

Suddenly, he felt someone touch his forearm. Looking to his right, the invisible cloak faded and the demon child became clear. Ao was smiling brightly with an expression that said ‘praise me!’. Jin smiled and patted the Ao’s head. “That was a cool trick. Who did you learn that from?” 

“Yuno!” 

Why’s that?” 

“Because he’s my king’s most trusted servant. My king always gives him important tasks; he’s my king’s right-hand man. So, if I too, can become just as powerful as Yuno, then maybe my king will also make me his left-hand man!” 

Jin busted out laughing at this adorable child’s goal. But he wasn’t wrong. Rubbing Ao’s head he commented, “me too. I wished you king relied on me more often.” 

“Talking about me behind my back, I see,” a soft and mellow voice came from behind them. 

As soon as Ao heard his voice, his face lit up. “My king!” 

Jin turned around and looked over Kirin, whose face looked much paler than usual. Much paler than his lips looked whiter, not having its usual red-plum tint to them.  

“Go to sleep, Ao. It’s late,” he winked to Ao. 

Ao, getting the message, giggled and pranced off back into the manor. Jin quickly stood up and was about to speak but was stop by Kirin who spoke first.  

“Tomorrow, I will spend the entire day with you. Take that as my gift to you for getting married. Once you get married, you’re no longer a bachelor and will have marriage duties to attend to, alright? That should be enough for you, right?” Kirin smiled. 

Jin just raised a brow with a wicked smile on his face. “The entire day?” 

“The entire day.” 

“Better remember that. Since it’s a day designated to me, I am not going to go easy on you,” Jin smiled and swaggered past Kirin into the manor with high hopes. 

Heading back to his sleeping quarters, Kirin summoned Yuno. Reporting to Kirin on one knee, he kept his head low. For some odd reason, his king seemed to have almost no presence or spiritual energy. 

“Lift your head, Yuno.” 

Looking up, he met Kirin’s steady amethyst eyes. Kirin then pulled a high-quality crafted box from his sleeves. It was no bigger than six inches in all dimensions. “For you.” 

Accepting the red wood colored box, he opened it. Inside, there was an emblem – the seal of the king; Kirin’s seal and proof of kingship over the Yin region. Next to the seal was a glowing orb that was the size of a billiard ball, glowing a radiant pure starlight color. Immediately, Yuno knew what it was. 

“My king! What is the meaning of this?!”  

“It is as you see it. I’m stepping down,” Kirin replied solemnly. 

“Why so suddenly?! No! I can’t possibly take your place, my king!” Yuno quickly bowed his head, lifting the box back up to Kirin.  

Kirin closed the box lid and pushed it back to Yuno. “This is my final request as your king, Yuno. You will inherit my kingdom, my powers and life force. I trust you. Promise me that you will absorb that orb in the morning of Lord Jin’s wedding. 

“Is this because of that god?! Is this why you’re stepping down?!” Yuno looked back up to Kirin who was gazing down at him with a gentle smile. 

“I am stepping down because it is my fate. Promise that you won’t say a word to Jin. If he asks, tell him I’ve gone off to the human world to travel... Somewhere far...” 

Seeing the unfathomable resolution in Kirin’s eyes, Yuno could only oblige. Bowing his head once more, Yuno agreed.  

=== 

Early the next morning, Kirin was awakened by a soft touch that caressed his cheek. Fluttering his eyes open, he was greeted with Jin’s beaming smile.  

“Good morning.” 

“Good morning?” Kirin slightly groaned as he pushed himself up from bed. Looking outside, it still looked dark. “Is it even morning yet?” 

“It is. It’s 4 in the morning,” Jin smiled 

Four in the mor-! Are you crazy?! So early!” Kirin whined as he threw himself back into bed and curled up into a ball with the blankets.  

Jin could not help but chuckle at this “refined” side of the nameless demon king.  

“I only have one day to spend with you, so of course, I’m going to spend it wisely,” Jin smiled as he stood up and removed the blankets from Kirin before picking him out of bed.   

“What is there to even do so early in the morning?” Kirin yawned as he remained still in Jin’s arms, not even registering the fact that he was being carried bridal style.  

“There’s all sorts of activities to do,” Jin smiled handsomely as he gently placed Kirin on a chair. 

Still somewhat half asleep, Jin chuckled as he grabbed the jade hair pin he made for Kirin. After tying up half of Kirin’s hair into a top knot, he inserted the hair pin into the bun, smiling proudly with how well it matched Kirin.  

After sobering up, Kirin was dragged to the human realm by Jin. 

“What is there to do?” 

Jin flashed a big smile. “You’ll see when we get there.” 

=== 

When they got there, they were basically sitting at the edge of a cliff, looking down into a misty abyss that lied below. Kirin raised a brow in question but Jin just smiled and pulled him to sit beside him with their legs dangling off the cliffside.  

Sitting on the edge, they talked about some of the most random things as time edged closer. When the time was right, Jin notified Kirin. 

“Look,” he happily pointed over to the dark horizon as he hopped off the cliffside, pulling Kirin along. Kirin freaked for a moment but then realized that the ground was a lot closer than what he had imagined. Must’ve been because of the dense mist that danced crossed the floor, building the illusion that this was an abyss. As Jin led him a few steps from where they landed, Jin then directed Kirin’s attention. 

As Kirin looked over to the horizon, his breath was taken away. 

Creeping up over the horizon was the beaming sun, illuminating everything in that dark misty valley. As the sun ray swept across the land, making the mist become more transparent, it became clear to Kirin as they were standing amidst a meadow of vibrant flowers. The radiant light from the sun made the dew drops on the flowers shine as if they were glass crystals. Hidden underneath these flowers, wings fluttered; battering their wings to shake off the dampness before taking off into the air to dry their damp wings were glass wing butterflies. 

These butterflies' wings were large and translucent, reflecting the light from the sun, making their wings look like glass as they fluttered. These were a special breed of glass wing butterflies. During the night, the lived with the low, misty valleys where the slept in the dampness. But when morning came, they would awaken to dry their translucent wings.  

As thousands of butterflies floated into the air with the rising sun, it made Kirin speechless. Not once in his life has he ever seen such a view. With an exhilarated smile on his face, Kirin reached his hand out to catch some of the butterflies that flew around them.  

One landed on his finger and fluttered its wings, shaking off the remaining water droplets that clung to its wing – almost as if it was a dog who was shaking itself dry. Kirin smiled.  

Jin then came behind him and slid his hand underneath Kirin’s outstretched hand, supporting from underneath. “I wanted to show you this place no matter what. But you were always busy so I never had the chance to, until now,” Jin’s low voice spoke beside Kirin, making Kirin’s heart palpitate. 

After watching the sunrise together, Jin led Kirin back to a big town where they did all sorts of activities; entering into mundane competitions, going on a boat cruise, eating at a fine and expensive restaurant. They also traveled from town to town to explore what each town that was fun and interesting.  

It was within these moments that Kirin wished time stopped. So that he could savor these moments for eternity. But he knew that was impossible, after all, Jin was getting married and his life was now in someone else’s hand.  

=== 

As they enjoyed their time together, time flew by too quickly; before they knew it, it was already dusk. Heading back to Kirin’s manor, they came back with a bunch of souvenirs for the demon children, the servants and YunoYuno quickly made eye contact with Kirin, and an exchange was made, however, it was extremely subtle.  

After handing out the souvenirs, just as Kirin was about to head into his room and close his door, strong, iron hands and a broad body embraced him from behind, slamming his bedroom doors shut. Kirin was too stunned for words. 

Jin? What’s wrong? This is too inappropriate!” he muttered as he struggled to break free from Jin’s embrace. 

“...” Jin muttered something under his breath as his head was nuzzled in between Kirin’s neck and shoulder.  

“What?” 

“... I do not want to marry,” he whispered. 

“What?” 

“I don’t want to marry Seila. I want you!” Jin said loudly and twirled Kirin to face him. “Just say the words! Just say it and the marriage between Seila and I are over!” 

Kirin’s lips slightly parted. He was too astonished by the words that left Jin’s mouth. Did this man know what he was saying? 

“What are you saying? Do you have any idea what it is that you are saying?! By rejecting the marriage between you and the Moon Goddess is the same as rejecting your godhood! Is that what you want?!” 

“If it means I’ll get to be with you, yes,” Jin stared into Kirin’s eyes, filled with passion and determination. Jin was telling the truth.  

Kirin’s lips slightly quivered as his breath hitched. Pursing his lips together, he turned his head away, breaking out of Jin’s hands as he took a few steps away from Jin “Even if you reject the marriage and your godhood, you’ll still be a human. Urgh! Did you not think things through?!” Kirin turned around and slammed his right palm onto his chest, “I am a man! I cannot give birth to children! I-!” 

“I know you like me too!” Jin shouted, cutting Kirin off. “I can see it in the way you look at me. I’ve seen that look too many times, so I know. I know you have feelings for me too,” Jin’s voice softened. 

Instinctively, Kirin touched his face. Did he make himself too obvious?! No! He can’t waver now! He has already made up his mind. Standing his ground, he recollected himself as he looked up to Jin and said in a soft, serene voice, “You asked me about my opinions upon your marriage with the Moon Goddess, and I approved. There’s no turning back for us now. They’ve already accepted that fact as well.” 

With every word Kirin said, he could see the sadness and dying hope in Jin’s eyes.  

“We will remain sworn brothers. Nothing more, nothing less. I am sorry. You can leave now. You have a wedding to attend to tomorrow,” Kirin solemnly stated as he shifted over to open the door and escort Jin out when Jin slammed his palm onto the door, keeping them shut.  

“... Well then, since that is your answer, can you do me one last favor as your gift to me before this day is over?” Jin asked with his head low. 

“... What is it?” 

“Stay with me for the night. I want you,” Jin said in a low voice as he looked into Kirin’s eyes, filled with heat and tenderness. “If you won’t be mine for an entire lifetime, then be mine for tonight.” 

Kirin was quite taken back. “I can’t! I’d be disrespecting your future wife!” 

“We aren’t even together! It’s basically an arranged marriage at this point! In the past year, not once has she visited me, and now, out of nowhere she wants to marry. But I only want you. Please. Just for tonight. Be mine,” Jin pulled Kirin into a hug, tightening his grip, as if he was afraid Kirin would escape at any moment. “I’ve been with many women in the past, but you are not the same as them. You are special!” 

The entire time Jin said those words, Kirin’s façade was crumbling. He did not want to hear those words. Not those words! He didn’t want to be given hope that he can freely choose the person he wanted to love in this world. He knew, as soon as Jin becomes a god, he is going to cease to be in this world. But since someone, in the longest time ever, is genuinely pouring their love to him, he might as well accept and cherish it – even if it may cause him heart break. 

Raising his hands, he gripped the back of Jin’s clothes before burying his head against Jin’s broad chest. “Alright. If it’ll make you happy. I’ll be with you tonight.” 

As soon as Jin heard those words, he broke their embrace and locked lips with Kirin. Slipping his tongue into Kirin’s mouth, their tongues intertwined as sliver threads spilled from their lips. Gently nibbling Kirin’s lower lips, it was as if Jin’s wishes came true; he was in ecstasy. When Jin withdrew, he looked at the misty expression on Kirin that was filled with lust and expectancy. His lips were tinted red with silver threads clinging to the corner of his lips. There was a hint of blush that crawled onto Kirin’s cheeks, making him look extremely adorable.  

Jin cupped his face and said tenderly, “Let’s move onto the bed.” 

58