Promise to a God (10)
2k 11 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kirin could not keep track of how many times he had fallen unconscious. Being tortured underground with heavenly weapons meant to kill a demon was actually something new to him... well, expect the torture portion. Before he had died and was bound to a system, he had gone through vigorous training and has endured all sorts of torture before. 

At the start of the torture, S-01 had offered a solution to Kirin. S-01: [ I can offer a Host a free-be pain neutralizing pill that will null the pain. All you would have to do is fake the pain.] 

No need. As of right now, I want to feel the pain – to know that all of this is real. After all, I am a murderer. I have tortured and have been tortured. And not once have I spared or have been spared. Therefore, I will take all the pain without mercy. Who am I to receive such grace? Kirin laughed to himself. 

Kirin was magically pinned up against a ragged stone wall with no visible strings, just with the Heavenly Emperor’s divine magic. When the torture began, his arms, legs, and fingers were broken. He had multiple broken ribs as he suffered being whipped and sliced.  

As Kirin endured the torture, he even received the notification that he had completed his side-mission of having Yuno become king of the Deathly Flower Mountains of the Yin Region. It was truly ridiculous.  

Each heavenly official that survived Kirin’s attack earlier came to visit, each inflicting their own anger and method of torture upon him, and Kirin survived through it all; being burned and branded by the divine fire, scorched, flesh teared – it was truly a gruesome sight. Kirin was even missing his left eye. 

When all the heavenly officials have had their fill, they left. After all, it was the day of Jin and Seila’s marriage.  

After everyone had left, from the shadows, a small figure emerged. Kirin’s one eye widened in shock as his breath hitched. 

The figure was holding both hands up to his mouth as a waterfall of tears were falling down from his eyes.  

Ao!!!!! What was he doing here?!?! 

But Kirin was too weak to shout, so he could only ask weakly. “A-Ao. What are you doing here?” 

Since Kirin finally asked, Ao removed his hand and answered in a crying voice as he ran over to hug Kirin’s blood-stained body. 

“I overheard you telling Yuno that you were going to leave! So-so-so-! When you left, I used the invisible technique Yuno taught me and followed after you!” 

Kirin did not know Ao had learned such a technique. 

“I thought you would have sensed me despite just being a lowly demon. But not once did you turn around so I thought you were allowing me to follow until we reached the heavenly realm! Uwaah~!! Uwaah~!! They are such bad gods!!” Ao cried. “They hurt my king!!!” 

Kirin did not know that Ao was following him. Kirin had given 80% of his life force and power to Yuno while he gave the last 15% to Jin last night to protect him, only keeping 5% to himself. His magical and spiritual powers had decreased by a significant amount to the point he can’t even pick up the presences of others stalking him. What he exerted when he fought against the heavenly officials was the last bit of energy he had in him.

But luckily for him, because his life force was consumed by Yuno, their minds were connected by his life force.  

Kirin gave a weak smile, “You silly child...” 

Ao was hanging onto to Kirin for dear life as he continued crying.  

Yuno, Kirin summoned Yuno through his mind.  

Arriving to the designated location, the first thing that greeted him was the scent of blood – demon blood. When his vision cleared, his expression sank. 

“My king!” Yuno rushed over. 

But Kirin shook his head and told him telepathically. 

Take Ao and you both leave. Leave before the heavenly officials return. 

“You said you were stepping down to travel the world-! How-! How is it that you’re here?!” Yuno raised his voice. 

It was Kirin’s first time seeing Yuno angered. 

I made an agreement. To keep both the Yin Region and Lord Jin safe. 

Yuno huffed angrily, “it is all because of that fallen god! If it weren’t for him, you would’ve never had to have suffered such humiliation and torture!! You lied, my king!” 

It was my decision to make. Now, take Ao and leave!  

Though Yuno was reluctant to leave, seeing the serene and cloudless eyes of his king, he could only obey. With his increased magic powers, he could definitely break Kirin out and escape, but that would mean that his king suffered all this for nothing. 

Peeling Ao off Kirin, Ao kicked, thrashed and yelled, refusing to leave Kirin. Putting a silencing spell onto Ao, though his mouth was open and he was bawling, no sounds came from his mouth. Kirin gave Yuno a thankful smile just as they faded into the shadows. However, Kirin did not realize that they have just erased their presences and were still watching from the shadows.  

The dungeon doors opened. Kirin was surprised by his new visitors. 

Walking in were five figures. One was the Moon Goddess, Seila, and the other was the God of Pestilence, RuonRuon dragged three bodies, all who Kirin was familiar with. Old man Jia, Aza and Ai, all covered in wounds and blood – completely battered.  

Kirin’s eyes turned bloodshot as his yelled with his clenched tight, grinding them together as he tried tearing himself down from the wall. Yuno and Ao who were hiding were also shocked. Ao just cried even more.  

"Y-you bastard!" Kirin grinded his teeth with blue veins visible on his temple. 

Seila was dressed in beautiful white and golden bridal robes that were decorated with gold jewels and accessories. Her skin was as white and radiant as the moon; lips as red as wine with eyes large like a doll. Her body was curve with a voluminous bosom that made men crazy; she was the epitome of beauty, yet, Seila did not see it that way. 

Kirin was breathing heavily as Seila approached him. Looking at him, even though he was in such a terrible condition, his beauty and elegance could not be erased. It made her very irritated. Seeing the beautiful pin in Kirin’s hair, Seila’s eyes sparkled as she reached for it and snatched it off Kirin.  

Kirin gasped and bellowed, “G-give that back!” 

“Why? It is such a beautiful hair pin. It is such a waste being with you, so I’ll take it instead,” Seila smiled elegantly. 

Ruon tossed the bodies off to the side with Kirin’s eyes following them. They were still alive and breathing. Only then did Kirin relax just a bit. 

“Give me back that pin. It’s mine!” his voice croaked.

Seila just innocently blinked her eyes as she made a sleek, obsidian black box appear. Kirin’s expression became darker.  

“I heard that this was something you gifted to Lord Jin. But seeing that it was gifted by a demon, I decided to take a look for myself in case it had some demonic charm on it. But when I saw it, I was quite surprised,” Seila smiled. 

“Such a beautiful brocade made from the finest silk with the most exquisite sewing skills. I am surprised you’re capable of such skills, Nameless demon King. But since I took the box without Lord Jin’s knowledge and I have yet to give him a gift, this will surely do.” 

Kirin grinded his teeth, “You dare?!” 

“Of course, I do. After all, Lord Jin is going to be my husband, and I, his wife. So, I can do whatever I please with our marriage gifts,” Seila smiled slyly as she departed from the dungeon. "Enjoy the wedding."

After she had gone, Kirin turned his attention back to Ruon and his three injured servants. 

“You dare harm them?!” 

Ruon placed on hand on his hip and the other rubbed his stubbled chin. “Consider them as compensation for breaking your promise.” 

Kirin furrowed his brow. “Promise? What promise?” 

Ruon just continued rubbing his chin as he moved in closer to examine Kirin. “... Do you really not remember?” 

Kirin had no idea what he was talking about. “If I can stab you in the throat, it might allow me to remember.” 

Amused, Ruon burst out laughing. “HAHAHAHAHA!!! It seems like you really don’t remember!! Hahaha! What? Are you too ashamed or are you feeling guilty?!” 

“What are you talking about?” 

Ruon continued laughing until there were tears in his eyes. After a few moments, he finally settled, “His majesty was quite confused when you came to make the offer of allowing Lord Jin to regain his godhood in exchange for your life. He suspects that you might have been feeling guilty! Hahaha, however, your words continued to confuse him after.” 

“What are you talking about?!” 

“About you! Nameless Demon King! This is about you! The only reason why Lord Jin fell from grace was because of you!” Ruon pointed to him. 

“What?” 

A twisted smile appeared on Ruon’s face. “That’s right. You were the one that came to His Majesty’s door and asked for his assistance. You told him that you’d allow him to control the Yin Region in return of him helping you cast Lord Jin out of the Heavens. And that’s where I came in. I was the one who started the plagues and kept them going, and that was because it was under the order of His Majesty because of your deal!” 

Kirin’s eyes were wide open as his mouth dropped, speechless. What was happening?! He did not receive such memories or information about this secret trade!!! 

“Don’t tell me that you were feeling so guilty that you subconsciously suppressed those memories – that we were the reason for Jin’s fallen godhood! You even came back and dare tried to blame His Majesty, and he even played along with you! But it was you! It was all you! Hahahahaha!” 

In his head, Kirin questioned S-01. 

S-01: [ There was no such information given to me regarding this hidden issue. I am sorry.] 

Kirin gritted his teeth in frustration. 

“Oh~, demon king, oh~, demon king. You are really something~,” Ruon sang. Ruon then snapped his fingers. “Well~, at least now Lord Jin is returning to the heavens and you are out of the way.” A cloud mirror appeared. Kirin saw the wedding ceremony that was commencing; it was vibrant, joyous, full of liveliness and laughter.  

When the knot between Seila and Jin was tied, S-01 notified Kirin. 

[ Task 2: ‘Help Jin ascend back into the heaven realm’ has been accomplished. Thank you for your hard work.] 

Kirin watched with a sad expression, staring at Jin’s valiant figure and bright smile. He then bowed his head. A scoff escaped his mouth. 

“Heh! Hehe... Ahahahahah!!!” Kirin threw his head back and laughed. “So, what if it was I who caused Jin’s downfall?! So what if I suppressed those memories out of guilt?! You think I was feeling guilty?! Fuck you!! I know how scared all of you male gods are of Jin. And now that he’s back, you can only run with your tails tucked in between your legs,” Kirin gave a wicked smile that sent a chill down Ruon’s spine. “You think you can easily take control of my domain?! Dream on! My servants are not as easy as you think. And don’t think that I came here with no back up plan in mind. You, all the other gods, and the Heavenly Emperor, will never be able to take one step into my land.” 

Ruon was angered. Withdrawing a blade, he gripped Kirin’s mouth, withdrew Kirin’s tongue and sliced it off. 

“Argh-!” blood came pouring from Kirin’s mouth. 

Ao cried a silent cry as Yuno kept them hidden.  

“Now you won’t be able to talk anymore!” Ruon spat as he turned to look at the cloud mirror. Seeing things have changed, his expression brightened as he turned to face Kirin. “Oh~, now you’ll love this next event.” 

With blood still overflowing, Kirin looked up to the mirror and saw what looked like a scruffy demon, standing in the center of the stage with all the gods surrounding him.  

As a god went on to demonstrate how this next event was going to go, he explained that his demon was a murderer in his human life; he slaughtered his wife, his children, raped his sister and killed his mother and father. He then went on to kill many other innocent people until he fell off a cliff to his own death. The event: kill this evil demon. 

When the god launched an attack on the demon, the demon dodged and moved with agility. However, as soon as the demon’s left leg was severed, Kirin also felt a strange, abnormally stinging pain in his left leg. Moving his head to look down, he realized what situation he was in.  

Yuno held Ao back as he stared in shock. Kirin’s left leg was also severed from his body as blood fell. It was a twisted game. One of the gods have linked the body connections between the demon and Kirin – so whatever damage that was inflicted onto the demon, Kirin would also experience the same.  

Through the cloud mirror, Kirin saw that other gods were also throwing sudden attacks from their seats, allowing the demon to run around like a wild monkey. As the game continued, Kirin’s chest, back, arms, legs, and everywhere else on his body was left unscathed, and he also lost his right arm. 

Throughout that entire time, not once did Jin make a move. Seeing that he was getting unamused, many of the other gods urged Jin to join in, but he was reluctant to do so. However, when the Heavenly Emperor offered him to do, he could not refuse.  

Grabbing his sword that was gifted by the Heavenly Emperor as a marriage gift, Jin began sparring with the demon. It was quite formidable, however, Jin wasn’t even serious; he just played and danced around. What pained Kirin was not that his fate was tied with the demon but the fact that Jin was wearing the brocade he sewed, not knowing that it was gifted from him. The brocade he spent day and night sewing when he went into seclusion before the wedding day.

Seeing that he was just messing around and was not serious, some of the other gods became restless. They began to chant: “finish him! Finish him! Finish him!” 

Yuno’s eyes became wary and Ao watched in horror. He knew that Jin cared for his king, yet, he did not know he was hurting the person he cared for.  

“My dear husband, enough fooling around. I think it is time you end this foolish game,” Seila giggled with a beautiful smile, her eyes curving like two crescent moons. 

Swinging the sword a few times, though it was not his intention, the demon suddenly moved and his sword was plunged into the demon, right where its heart lie. Ao bawled as he watched it unfold with Kirin coughing out a mouthful of blood. 

Yuno made eye contact with Kirin. Even though Kirin did not see them there, he figured they would stay and not leave him. So, with a final smile, he told Yuno to take the four and to escape. From Kirin’s right eye, tears fell, but from his left, blood fell.  

Yuno could only grind his teeth as he stealthily grabbed the other three bodies and summoned them back to the Deathly Flower Mountains. 

Yuno, I believe you know what to do next... take care of everyone for me... and erase Ao’s memories... I don’t want him to remember what he saw today... I’ll leave it to you... Kirin’s weak voice spoke in Yuno’s head. 

Tears fell from his eyes. Yes, My King! 

As Kirin’s breath became heavy and slow, his vision began to blur. But the last thing he saw was Jin’s face, so when he finally departed, there was a faint smile on his face. 

S-01: [ Returning to the void in 3... 2... 1...] 

Opening his eyes, Kirin shot straight up, sitting up right in the dark star-filled sky with the water mirror beneath him.  

When he looked down, he saw a montage of his memories of the world he was in. Though it was not long, he enjoyed being in Hua Yu’s world. Seeing Jin’s face appear, Kirin slowly reached out to touch the face, but only came into contact with the water that ripple when touched.  

With a blank expression, he stared at his memories, breathing steadily.  

S-01: [Congratulations Host for completing main tasks and side mission. Total accumulated points given is: 1,564 points. Merit points (MP) deducted from total is a total of: 156.4 points. Total accumulated points (TAP) is now: 1,407.6 points.] 

Still saying nothing with a down casted expression, S-01 spoke up again. 

S-01: [Would Host like to see events that occurred after the death of Host?] 

“... You can do that?” 

S-01: [Most certainly.] 

After giving it some thought. Kirin decided against. He felt like if he saw Jin’s face again, his heart was going to ache. Shaking his head, he gave S-01 his answer. 

“It’s alright. With my MP, is there anything I can purchase?” 

S-01: [There are:  

(1) Pain Neutralizing pills (5) – 125 MP 

(2) Poison Neutralizing pill – 130 MP 

(3) Space pouch – 150 MP  

The more MP you earn, the more options there will be for items for purchase and skill learning.] 

“What is the third item?” 

S-01: [It is a pouch that allows you to put items that you wish to bring with you from one world to the next. You are able to bring as many items as you wish from each world. The pouch has an infinite amount of space and is very portable.] 

“Then, I want the space pouch.” 

S-01: [Space pouch item: Purchased. MP is now 6.4 point. Thank for your purchase.] 

As soon as S-01 said that, a pouch appeared in thin air and landed into Kirin’s lap. Picking it up and examining the pouch, it looked like any normal string tied pouch. A deep velvet maroon color with exquisite golden marbling designs.  

S-01: [Is Host ready to move onto the next world?] 

Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, he opened his eyes and looked at the star-filled sky and replied ‘yes’. 

[Entering next world in 3... 2... 1...] 

59