Ch. 3 Effortless
91 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Beat me? You’re 1000 years too early!”

With those provocative words, Sanada tosses the ball in the air and gives a strong and fast flat serve that is aimed at the outside corner of the service box. It’s a good serve, definitely a level or two above anyone at this age, however…

*PLOCK*

Before he can even process my movements the ball is already back on his side of the court. It takes even Yukimura a brief moment to realize what just happened, but he quickly refocuses.

“…Love-15.”

His words also stir Sanada from his stupor. After shaking his head in disbelief, he goes towards the other side to serve. This time he chooses to remain silent, focusing only on making a good serve. A sharp flat serve is sent towards the center service line. Getting there on time, I send it back with a powerful right-handed forehand shot.

I should mention a few minor details about myself and the body of Kunimitsu Tezuka. While we are both inherently ambidextrous, we have opposing preferred hands. Kunimitsu likes his left, mainly due to his grandfather being left-handed, while I like my right due to my favorite player being right-handed. The problem is that this body is not my original so the elite level dexterity in my right hand is nonexistent, and the left hand is much more trained.

This is creating a dissonance between my mind and body. I can feel that my true strength lies in the left arm, but I cannot overcome the familiarity of the right arm. Needless to say, despite not carrying this body’s full potential, the right arm is quite capable, to such an extent that I am having little difficulty overwhelming Sanada.

“Game Tezuka. 5-0. Change court.”

As we change courts it’s easy to see Sanada breathing heavily and that his shirt I heavy with sweat. I’ll finish this set quickly.

I bounce the ball a few times before gripping it. Shifting my hand I toss the ball at eye level at an angle so it makes a leftward trajectory parabola before jumping and swinging my racquet with great force. The result is a high-speed slice serve towards the outside edge of the service box that Sanada has no chance to receive.

“15-Love.”

Another slice serve, this time towards the center.

“30-Love.”

Again.

“40-Love. SetPoint.”

Last one.

*THWACK*

“Set, Tezuka. 6-0.”

As I head back to my bench to grab a water bottle, I can’t help but be amazed at the physiology of humans in this world. While a fast and accurate slice-serve can be deadly the amount of spin I’m getting is monstrous. Maybe this is unique to Tezuka? His techniques in the anime were heavily reliant on creating massive amounts of rotation. This reminds me of something I always wanted to try.

A few moments later, Sanada and I are back on the court ready for the second set. Sanada’s expression is a mix between desperation and frustration. As much as it pains me, I am not one to drop my guard no matter the situation.

It’s my turn to serve, and just like the last game of the first set, I send a high-speed slice serve and once again ace Sanada.

“15-Love.”

“30-Love.”

“40-Love. Game Point.”

Once more, but surprisingly Sanada can reach the shot and sends it back. Alas, my reactions are much too quick and I deliver a well-placed volley to win the game. What I expect to see is mortified Sanada, but I am genuinely amazed. Within his frustration are the embers of his fighting spirit. Seeing this, I can’t help but give a small smile. It seems like I don’t have to worry about him being broken.

From that moment on, I play more aggressively in an attempt to draw out Sanada’s potential. I want him to grow into a strong rival. He is still being thoroughly crushed, but his reactions are getting better.

“Game Tezuka. 5-0. Change court.”

Even now this guy is looking at me with such fierce eyes. That settles it. I’ll show you a bit of my full strength. Staying alert, I receive Sanada’s sharp flat serve, but instead of attacking, I send a well-place return towards his backhand corner. The shot isn’t incredibly fast, so he has time to return it properly. Next, I send it towards the opposite corner. This pattern repeats a few times, and I have to use extreme willpower to not smile like a maniac at the results.

As I pivot my foot, I easily reach a ball before sending it back towards Sanada. Around me, there seem to be traces of a circle forming. It doesn’t take long for Sanada to see that I have yet to move. Being the prodigy that he is, he attempts a drop shot to force me to move, but as the ball bounces near the net it is sucked into my hit zone. The phenomenon is similar to how debris will fly towards the center of a tornado. I return the ball, making sure to add the appropriate amount of sidespin to maintain the technique.

Sanada tries aiming for the corners, only for the ball to be pulled back towards me. It truly seems like I am standing in the eye of a storm. Again with the calculated sidespin, I return the ball, this time getting a point.

“Love-15.”

“…What’s the name?”

“Hmm?”

“What’s the name of that technique?”

“I call it, [Tezuka Zone].”

“…[T-Tezuka Zone].”

“Wake up and serve. The match isn’t over.”

My words rouse Sanada from his stupor and he moves to serve the ball. As the serve comes in, I return it right back at him. He aims towards the backhand corner, but-

[Tezuka Zone]

The ball is sucked in towards me, and I deliver a shot that takes the point.

“Love-30.”

The pattern continues.

“Love-40. Match Point.”

Sanada is not only stunned but tense, so as he serves the ball, I do the very thing he is the least prepared for. With a devilish glint in my eyes, I mercilessly deliver a sudden drop shot and return ace the kid.

“Game, set, and match. Tezuka Kunimitsu, 6-0, 6-0.”

As I look across the court, I see Sanada fall on his hands and knees while staring back at me. What makes me content, is that instead of tears forming in his but a burning desire to overcome. Unfortunately, it will take him a few more years to be a proper opponent, which leads to my to-

“You played your best Genichirō.”

Yukimura comforts Sanada before helping him stand. Seeing this I walk towards the net and extend my right hand. Sanada recognizes the gesture and shakes my hand, albeit with a bit too much force, but I remain indifferent to the act.

“I’m fine Seiichi, I’ll be the referee for your match,” Sanada says before trudging back towards his bag and grabbing a water bottle before heading towards the referee booth.

“You are strong Tezuka-san.”

“So are you Yukimura-san?”

“…?”

“I could tell that you were holding back against Sanada in your match.”

“Hehe, looks like I was figured out.”

Honestly, even his mannerisms are slightly feminine.

“But I could say the same for you Tezuka-san.”

“Hehe, looks like I was figured out.”

——— (Yukimura POV) ———

And I thought I had a pretty face. Tezuka-san is truly dangerous.

——— (END) ———

“Let’s keep the same rules, and you can go ahead and serve first.”

“I won’t decline the generous offer,” Yukimura says with a smile.

After grabbing his racquet and readjusting his headband, Yukimura is ready to serve. If I am being honest, he is the only player that can compete against the original Tezuka’s innate talent. Unlike a few other characters that need a strong stimulus to grow, Tezuka and Yukimura grow strong with little external influence. There’s no point in focusing on that now.

Taking a more serious stance I wait for the serve.

“Come, Yukimura.”

 

I know what you're thinking, and no there will never be any BL in this story. They're just a bunch of good-looking dudes playing tennis. Thank you for the time and don't forget to vote. Tell me if you understand the explanation for [Tezuka Zone]. I'll link the techniques with pictures or sometimes videos for clearer reference.

Video: [Tezuka Zone]

Such an incredibly broken technique, but I love it.

In canon Tezuka v Yukimura is a tie, but considering the protagonist what is your preferred outcome?
  • Win
  • Tie
Total voters: 4 · This poll was closed on Mar 8, 2021 07:06 PM.
3