Ch. 4 Pretty Boys’ Match
121 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yukimura sends a fast and accurate flat serve towards the outside corner of the service box, which I manage to return. Then, he responds with a probing shot, which I take advantage of. As I swing my racquet, I add powerful sidespin, so despite him hitting the ball towards the corner-

[Tezuka Zone]

As if magnetically pulled, the ball enters my hit zone.

*PLOCK*

*THWACK*

*PLOCK*

*THWACK*

*PLOCK*

*THWACK*

*PLOCK*

Finally, I hit a fierce rising shot to take the point.

“Love-15.”

Each point continues in such a fashion until I win the game.

“Game, Tezuka. 1-0. Change court.”

With my service game, I keep pressuring Yukimura. With [Tezuka Zone] I can control the match, but I do not allow myself to grow arrogant. Even as I am winning the set 2-0, I am carefully observing Yukimura.

Some might find my level of caution unnecessary, but I would quickly reprimand them. If the most frightening talents in the anime were listed in order, Tezuka Kunimitsu and Yukimura Seiichi would be in the top 5, and I would give the leading edge to Yukimura. This analysis may be incorrect if you consider that I am currently inhabiting Kunimitsu’s body.

“Game, Tezuka. 3-0. Change court.”

I have so many questions about how certain techniques work and why some people can use them, and Yukimura is a prime example. Standing at the pinnacle, yet he never uses any of the “awakenings”. Anyways, I need to focus on this match.

“Game, Tezuka. 4-0.”

Before he serves, I can see that Yukimura’s aura has changed, as if he finally resolved himself. I wonder if he’s going to use that technique? Has he mastered that frightening skill at such a young age?

Yukimura sends a medium-paced flat serve that I easily return with calculated sidespin thus triggering [Tezuka Zone]. As the rally continues, I notice a peculiarity with Yukimura, or rather a consistency. No matter what shot I send to him, he returns it perfectly. No matter the angle, velocity, or spin I use, he returns the ball with an eerily similar force.

*PLOCK*

*THWACK*

Yukimura hits the ball back, and as I try to add the sidespin to maintain the [Tezuka Zone], I feel my hand go numb causing me to overhit the ball.

“Out. 15-Love.”

My racquet nearly slips out of my hand. I am in the process of flexing my hand to relieve the numbness when I see Yukimura staring at me with a melancholic expression. I retain a stoic visage as I head back to my baseline to receive.

——— (Yukimura POV) ———

“Out. Love-15.”

As Tezuka hits the ball out, I know that my technique is working. I can’t help but make a somber expression when I see him trying to alleviate his hand of numbness. Catching his eyes, I am greeted with the same stoic expression.

He is truly a genius. When he challenged me, I had a premonition, but watching him play and defeat Genichirō confirmed it. Unfortunately, no matter how talented you are, my technique renders it all useless.

At my baseline, I bounce the ball a few times, then toss it up for my serve.

*THWACK*

Like an arrow, the ball speeds towards the inside corner of the service box. Tezuka returns the ball, and I notice the sidespin. No matter how powerful [Tezuka Zone] is, it is useless. With robotic precision and form, I return the ball towards Tezuka’s backhand.

Seeing his stance, I ready myself. His motion is fluid and swift, certainly a baseline return. However, the ball that is supposed to fly back towards me, seems to be gently floating. The next second, I realize that it’s a drop shot.

Willing my legs, I sprint towards the net, confident that I will get there before the second bounce. And that’s when it happened.

——— (Protagonist POV) ———

As the drop shot floats gently through the air, I can see Yukimura making a late sprint to return it. The expression on his face is hopeful, exactly what I want.

The technique that brings the opponents to the depths of despair. The technique that gives depth and flavor to Tezuka’s otherwise straightforward play-style, a shot at the peak of sublimity…

The ball hits the court, but instead of bouncing back up, it begins to rotate embedding itself firmly onto the court, before rolling backward only coming to a stop as it gently hits the net.

Both Yukimura and Sanada are speechless.

“[Zero-Shiki Drop Shot].” 

(Translation: Zero Degree Drop Shot)

 It takes at least 10 seconds before-

“15 All”, Sanada says with a shaky voice.

The black-haired boy’s words shake Yukimura from his stupor. With an incredulous expression, he stares at me, and I stare back with my ever stoic visage before walking back to the baseline.

Yukimura serves, and I give a powerful forehand return. When the ball returns to my side of the court, I take a backhand stance before briefly watching Yukimura. Seeing my stance, he starts running towards the net, unfortunately falling into my trap.

Against his expectations, I instantly change the force in my shot to hit a quick slice return.

“15-30.”

I continue to confuse Yukimura and soon-

“Game and Set, Tezuka Kunimitsu. 6-0.”

The [Zero-Shiki Drop Shot] is a fearsome technique. There is only one method to return it, and that method has a stringent requirement. If anyone else performed the [ZS Drop Shot], their intentions would be obvious. A drop shot and a regular backhand stroke can be distinguished by the stance. However, Tezuka has reduced this discrepancy to a mere 3.2mm.

Additionally, as my signature shot from my past life, I worked tirelessly to perfect it. A modern overlay showed that my regular backhand stroke and my drop shots were indistinguishable. With all of this, a regular drop shot would be difficult to deal with, not to mention one that doesn’t bounce. Finally, a regular drop shot and a ZS are not distinguishable until they touch the ground.

Utilizing this strategy, I have been able to exert an overwhelming amount of mental pressure on Yukimura. As he is now, Yukimura has no choice but to be defeated. However...

“Game, Yukimura. 1-3.”

He’s still fighting back.

“Game, Yukimura. 2-3. Change court.”

He even broke my serve. What kind of monster lies underneath that pristine visage?

“Game, Tezuka. 2-4.”

I could easily win, but that’s not fun. Watching him on a screen and playing against him on the court is the difference between heaven and earth. Technique and skill aside, that ‘I must win’ mentality is ardently burning within him. If I purposely lose, it will make him think that I’m belittling him, plus it’s not in my nature to willingly lose. I want to pull out as much talent from him as possible.

“Game, Yukimura. 3-4. Change court.”

Wait! That might work.

After serving, the ball is returned towards my backhand side. I hit a drop shot, and seeing this Yukimura rushes towards the net. Since I usually target the moments that he is behind the baseline to use the [ZS Drop Shot]. Throughout the match, not once has he managed to reach the logic-defying shot, however, this fact does not deter Yukimura in the slightest.

As he races to the net, his expression darkens. However, unlike what has repeatedly happened, this time the drop shot bounces and he’s able to return the ball.

——— (Yukimura POV) ———

Seeing a regular drop shot, I was surprised but aware enough to give a strong return. From that moment on, Tezuka never used his [Zero-Shiki Drop Shot]. At first, I was skeptical, but even in ideal moments, it never came out.

“Game, Yukimura. 5-4.”

Without the use of his trump card, my technique’s effectiveness returned. No rather, it was strengthened. Inspired by Tezuka’s flawless form, I realized that I could also improve. I had focused so heavily on the sensation of the ball that I ignored the visual aspect. If I can standardize my form, then maybe I can...

——— (Protagonist POV) ———

“15-30.”

A bonafide genius. He’s already improving. I can barely feel my hand and even my vision is faltering. As I serve, my darkening vision goes completely dark. The next moment, I hear the ball hit my side of the court.

“15-40. SetPoint.”

What have I awakened?

——— (Yukimura POV) ———

As Genichirō calls out the setpoint, I finally achieve the next step in my technique. I was able to strip both touch and sight from my opponent. As remorseful as I feel, I will not hinder myself from winning.

Shockingly, Tezuka goes to his proper position on the court and gets ready to serve. How can he remain so calm even now? It took Genichirō months to overcome the dread of losing his sense of touch during a match, yet Tezuka is handling it with ease. I’m genuinely impressed, but an opponent who can’t feel or see cannot win.

His serve is dull and slow. I hit it towards the opposite corner, expecting to win the set, but to my surprise, Tezuka is moving towards the ball before hitting back. A fluke?!?

I hit the ball back, but again it happens. I can feel my expression shifting from shock to utter disbelief. Soon, I find myself on the defensive.

As the rally extends, I find myself in a terrible position and as I watch Tezuka, a sense of foreboding stimulated me to run towards the net. It’s coming.

Yet, it never does. Tezuka lets the ball pass him.

“Game and Set, Yukimura. 6-4.”

Before I can even process what’s happened, I see Tezuka walking towards the net.

“Let’s call it here Yukimura-san.”

Does he want to end it here, as a tie? Maybe that last performance was just a brief miracle, and he knows it. Apart from me wants to keep playing but when I can feel my body screaming out. I’m exhausted and can’t predict how the last set will go.

“Alright, Tezuka-san. Let’s call it a draw.”

He extends his left hand out and I gladly return the gesture. Strange...his left hand is rough.

Before I can draw any conclusions, I see Genichirō walking towards the two of us.

“I swear, I’ll beat you the next time Tezuka.”

“I look forward to your challenge, Sanda-san,” Tezuka says before extending right-hand out to Genichirō and they share a fierce handshake. Well, Genichirō has a fierce expression.

It doesn’t take long for the spectacled tennis player to pack his bag and leave the court, lifting his left arm in a goodbye without turning around. That’s when a frightening idea sprouts from my mind.

“Genichirō, how did his hand feel?”

“Hmm? It felt strangely smooth, why?”

“...”

“Seiichi. What’s wrong?”

“How would you describe the texture of your own right hand?”

“Rough with a bunch of calluses.”

“Typical what happens to any player who’s been playing for a while. The hand he used to play us was smooth, yet his left hand was rough. Haha.”

“Seiichi, what’s so funny?”

“Hahaha, he’s left-handed. Hahaha.”

“Left-handed...He crushed me and tied with you with his non-dominant hand? What kind of monster is he?

Do you think he’ll go to the same school as us?”

“Wherever he goes, I want to play against him again. I’ll win for sure.”

“Don’t you dare skip my turn, Seiichi!”

“Hoo? You have yet to beat me, but you want to challenge Tezuka-san?”

“*Tch* Cocky pretty boys.”

“Hmmm? What was that?”

The sounds of two friends ring out in the afternoon sun. Meanwhile...

 

I apologize for the late chapter, no excuses. I hope you enjoy it and don’t forget to vote. Thanks.

Video: Zero-Shiki Drop Shot @2:20

 

Spend a few chapters (2-3) on family and school?
  • Yes
  • Nah, I want action
Total voters: 3 · This poll was closed on Mar 18, 2021 02:25 AM.
3