Ch. 6 School and the Choice
127 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Beep**Beep*

After swiftly turning off the insufferable alarm, I take a moment to look at the unfamiliar hands that reaffirm that I truly am Tezuka Kunimitsu.

.

.

.

*Chirp**Chirp*

*Sigh*

I should get up since I have school today. While rubbing my eyes and grabbing my glasses from the nightstand, I open the curtains only to be struck by the warm beams of the Sun. Yawning, I drag my feet to the bathroom attached to my bedroom.

Upon finishing my morning routine, I find myself putting on a school uniform. It’s composed of grey slacks, a white dress shirt, and a navy sports coat, a simple yet appealing outfit. After making sure that all my homework, books, and supplies are in my leather school bag, I walk down the stairs.

Greeting me were my new parents.

“Ohayōgozaimasu, otōsan, okāsan,” I say with a tinge of laziness in my voice, unintentionally revealing another part of my true personality.

““Ohayō, Kunimitsu.””

“You’re usually up a bit earlier, did something happen?” My mother asks.

“I just wanted to take a quick shower before heading out. Anyway, thanks for the food okāsan, I’ll be going. See you later otōsan,” I answer while grabbing the wrapped bento.

“Be a safe dear.”

“Watch out for cars Kunimitsu.”

“Thanks, bye,” I respond after slipping on my brown penny loafers.

Heading to the side of the house and into the shed, I see a well-maintained white road bike, with black handles, and a black seat. Wasting only a few seconds to admire the craftsmanship, I exit the shed with the bike before locking it and eventually the entry gate.

It’s a leisure 10-minute bike ride to Seiharudai Daiichi (Seishun First) a private mid-sized primary school here in Tokyo, Japan. Along the way I see fellow students chatting, salarymen walking to the train station, and housewives going to buy groceries. After locking my bike, I head to my class, 6-1, on the third floor of the building.

As I saunter inside, I barely notice the gazes of my classmates both male and female. Sitting at my window seat, I pull out a book about anatomy while waiting for class to start. As Fujimoto Hako, the English homeroom teacher comes, I put away my book, yawn, then perform my duties as class representative. 

Honestly, while the old Kunimitsu and I are pretty similar, he has few inclinations that are quite exhausting. The problem is his upright and exemplary attitude. Not only is he the class representative, but he is also part of the school beautification committee. I had similar leadership positions in school, but I was more like a certain black-haired character known for his high intellect and lazy attitude. Thankfully, there are only a few weeks before school ends. Afterward, I can expose a bit more of my true personality in public. *Sigh*

Classes were, infinitesimally boring. Repeating something that I found mundane on the first run-through of my life was painful. Luckily, it’s lunchtime and I can be alone. I leave the room, and head towards the roof, before opening my bento to eat. Rice, vegetables, tonkatsu, and some other side dishes. It’s honestly quite delicious. Hmm, even in this life my mother is quite a good cook.

About 5 minutes before lunch ends, I head back and organize the cleaning of our class. Following lunch, were more meaningless classes. Once the last class of the day, social studies, ended our homeroom teacher, came back.

“Tezuka-san, please come up and pass these out to your classmates.”

“Hai.”

As I grab the papers, I see that they are middle school selection forms. This unlike the rest of the day, excites me.

Which middle school I go to will more than likely determine my teammates and rivals.

After I pass out the last form and sit down sensei Fujimoto addresses the class, “As you can all see, these forms are for the middle school selection. This is a very important decision for all of you. Naturally, I would like to see you all go to our affiliated secondary school, Seishun Gakuen (Seishun Academy), but what is most important is that the school you choose meets your needs.”

Make sure to talk to your parents, and return the form by the end of the week. This is especially important for those who choose middle schools that need recommendation letters or exams.”

*Ring**Ring*

“With that, have a good afternoon, and see you all tomorrow.”

“Arigato Sensei!” The class says in unison.

Leaving my seat, and remembering that I don’t have any obligations, I stroll towards the bike rack before unlocking my own bike and heading home.

Upon my arrival, I greet my mother before heading upstairs. It takes only a few minutes before I change into a light-blue t-shirt and grey shorts. I head back down the stairs, this time with my tennis bag in tow. My homework? I did it during class, to save time.

“Okāsan, I’m heading out to the court. I’ll be back.”

“Be safe.”

“Hai.”

Tying on white tennis shoes, I leave the house and ride my bike to the local tennis court. The match yesterday was insufficient. Even though his memories are integrated into mine, I still want to perform Kunimitsu’s techniques so I can see the full extent of their effects. Hopefully, there’s a decent opponent.

.

.

.

And of course, there’s no one decent. *Tch*

Seven opponents, and five forfeited after the first game. I didn’t even get to use any of my techniques, at least I got some practice with my left arm.

“Aaahh. That’s surprisingly good,” I say while staring at the Ponta can in my hand. The protagonist was often seen enjoying the fabled Ponta and spotting a vending machine, I had to give it a try.

Speaking of the protagonist, he won’t be here for two years, and when he arrives he’ll certainly go to Seigaku (Seishun Gakuen). But what about me? I’m limited to the Kanto region, but I’m only considering the following schools.

Seishun Gakuen, Hyotei Gakuen, and Rikkai Daigaku Fuzoku Chuu. As confident as I am in my abilities, I need capable teammates to win games and conquer nationals. When I weigh the pros and cons it goes like this.

Seigaku

Pros

  1. Destined to become the captain 
  2. Fuji Shūsuske the Genius
  3. Echizen Ryoma the Protagonist
  4. Close to home

Cons

  1. Weak upperclassmen
  2. Excluding around 8 people, the rest of the club is severely lacking which makes me worried about the future of the club when I leave

Hyotei

Pros

  1. Strong upperclassmen
  2. Atobe Keigo the King
  3. Oshitari Yūshi the Man of 1000 Techniques

Cons

  1. Clashing with Atobe for who becomes captain
  2. Having to change the overly strict club rules

Rikkai Dai

Pros

  1. Yukimura Seiichi the Child of God
  2. Sanada Gen’ichirō the Emperor
  3. Renji Yangi the Master

Cons

  1. Will all but guarantee the outcome of the next three national tournaments
  2. Taming the Devil

More than anything perhaps I am the most intrigued by the growth of the protagonist of this story, Echizen Ryoma. At the start, he is at best a player that can lead a team to win a prefecture, but he grows within the span of a few months to be among the 10 best middle schoolers in Japan. Knowing the story, I know that my presence as a captain, rival, and mentor to the kid helped him develop.

You may be asking why I would care, and my reasoning is simple. Victory is hollow without challenging opponents. Besting a weak opponent is the same to me as picking cabbages at the market. While other characters are indeed stronger, Ryoma showed the ability to grow exponentially during every match, an incredibly rare talent.

It would also be exciting to play with Atobe Keigo, a player with good talent, but otherworldly determination. He’s genuinely an admirable person, but I have a feeling that one of us will have to concede to the other. Atobe must rule while I cannot be restrained. 

Logically, Rikkai Dai should be my answer if I want to win championships. Yukimura, Sanada, and Renji are known as the Sannin Bakemono (Three Demons) and lead their team to victory twice before they were thwarted by the original Tezuka-led Seigaku. Joining them would be quite fun.

*Sigh*

Honestly, I need some time to decide. I can greatly affect the path the story takes with my decision, and while following the cannon timeline is appealing, I am under no obligation to do so. This is my reality and I will take the steps necessary to exceed the level I was at in my previous life.

.

.

.

After a few more minutes, I get up from the bench before grabbing my gear and riding back home for dinner.

 

Pick which school even if it's based on the uniforms they wear. As our protagonist said, weaker schools in the Kanto region weren't considered because more than just individual strength, the entire team must be strong. Also, the three schools chosen have the most exciting characters with the flashiest moves, hehe. Thanks for reading.

Which middle school will our protagonist attend?
  • Seigaku, the fallen kings
  • Hyotei, the rising nobles
  • Rikkai Dai, the current rulers
Total voters: 5 · This poll was closed on Apr 2, 2021 01:31 AM.
2