Chapter 4 – Sudden Flowers
380 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now that he had obtained all his answers concerning Elisi, Sebastian was uncertain of what course of action to take with the newfound knowledge. 

He was aware that she might prove useful to the sick king, who had recently experienced chest pains as a result of his curse. Sebastian pondered whether she could bring relief to his suffering.

Yet, he understood that it wouldn't be easy to bring Dalion and Elisi together. After all, the king was a man who preferred minimal interactions, reserving his dealings for matters of duty alone. Only few people were permitted to remain constantly by his side: his daughter, the butler, his grandson, and himself.

He did not care for maids and had consistently rejected the notion of having a healer in his presence.

Merely suggesting that Elisi attend to him without a valid reason would not be sufficient to convince the king.

Additionally, if she were to become a healer, her life might get a little bit easier.

Eventually, he needed to think of a way to bring them together, but for now, it was best to train her to become better.

******

The following day, Elisi was summoned once again to the tower.

And off to the tower she went. As soon as she reached the entrance, Sebastian's voice stopped her.

"No need to attend to the cleaning today," he cheerfully said.

When she finally entered the room, a beautiful young teen was standing next to Sebastian. It was hard not to stare and admire him. The boy was slightly taller than her, raven hair and his eyes of blue shimmered like a bright night full of moonlight. It was evident that he must be related to the mage, as their eyes bore the same hue.

"Allow me to introduce my grandson, Tiago," Sebastian announced, coming closer to her.

Tiago served as the guardian to Princess Berit. Although her character in the book exhibited strength, she often found herself in trouble, by picking the wrong magic flower, taking the wrong dangerous path, etc. she needed somebody to be there for her and watch her.

In the book, Tiago was depicted as a young but prodigious mage, destined to surpass his master. He possessed an extraordinary talent for both combat and magic, rendering him unmatched by any but the king, who had the gods on his side.

Elisi gently smiled and reciprocated the greeting to the best of her abilities.

She had not anticipated encountering one of the central figures of the novel; she should have realized his identity from the moment she set eyes upon him.

However, her mind refused to accept the possibility of such an encounter.

He was none other than the great mage Tiago, who would later assume Sebastian's mantle and become the lord of the tower. The great mage who triumphed over the awakened dragon.

No wonder he was so mesmerizing.

"I'm Elisi, the maid, please to meet you, my lord. If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask me"

She still struggled with maintaining a formal demeanor, although Sebastian had been assisting her in refining her speech.

Tiago, like the others, proved difficult to read. He stood there in his azure and golden garments, his gaze fixed upon Elisi.

Frankly, he struggled to suppress a chuckle at her nervous greeting. The abundance of awkwardness from such a young soul that is older than him.

His grandfather already warned him that she was not from this world, yet he did not know what to expect. She looked surprisingly normal and though her height might have been average she looked so tiny and fragile even more so next to his grandfather.

Sebastian tried to break the ice once again by letting her know that from now on she will be training with his grandson, healing and magic. Yes, she should be familiar with magic as well, like magicians should get knowledgeable also with healing.

"What for?" Elisi played with her fingers.

"So that you may become a healer! Is that not preferable to being a mere maid?" Sebastian proposed.

Elisi shyly noded in agreement, feeling somewhat blessed, as though fortune had smiled upon her in this realm.

"You shall have two hours dedicated to practice every two days. I had hoped for a longer duration, but circumstances have prevented such arrangements,"

None could understand why he would require her presence for longer than two hours to attend to his modest chamber. They were all aware that he would never allow her to clean up his mess.

The head maid held reservations about sending Elisi to the tower, yet she found herself unable to fully decline the request from the lord of the tower.

She attempted to persuade Sebastian to assign another maid, but he adamantly refused.

********

Every two days, Elisi would stand resolute before the towering structure, gazing upwards at the imposing gray mass. The sight never failed to evoke a sense of unease within her. The tower's solemn presence seemed incongruous amidst the heavenly surroundings, an architectural anomaly that clushed with the harmonious scenery.

"Shall I decorate it with flowers?"

Said Tiago who was standing behind examining her.

"Aaaah!"

Elisi turned around and jumped for she didn't notice he was standing behind her, his voice surprised her greatly.

She looked at him with a smile on her face, his words, She desperately hoped she had heard him correctly and that it was not merely one of his jokes.

"Can you decorate it with flowers?"

Her pitch became high and with both hand grabbed his harm in excitement.

Without turning his head he looked back at her.

"Too easy," he said with a proud walk.

As they walked towards the tower, climbing plants started to cover the entirety of the building.

Little cute white buds picked from within the leaves, they possessed a marvellous shade of green with bright purple flowers. The tower came to look like a giant magical tree.

His grandfather always stalled the growth of the plants, he found them too annoying to maintain.

But this time he decided to make an exception and disobey his grandfather, maybe something good could come out of it.

He swore to himself that he would never again transgress against his grandfather's commands.

Elisi was mesmerized. Her mouth wide open, no words could come out of her.

She was making weird gestures while pointing at the tower and Tiago.

Suddenly she put both hands on her cheeks and made a sound.

"Ah! Aaaaaaaaaahh?!!! Ah!!!"

"Eeeeeh?!"

Tiago looked confused at her reaction, He had grown accustomed to Elisi's distant demeanor. Nevertheless, witnessing her exude a smile and unbridled excitement was a welcome change.

"We are running behind schedule; my grandfather awaits," he reminded her, urging her forward.

As they entered the room Sebastian heavy food steps came towards them.

"What have you done to the tower, you impudent brat!"

"I embellished it! long overdue"

"I hope the king won't throw a fit over it"

"Why would he throw a fit over such a beautiful sight?" Elisi asked with a perplexed look.

Sebastian sighed heavily with the help of his shoulders. It was one of the rare instances when Elisi voiced her concern, a sentiment he could not refute.

"Oh well, let us commence," he resignedly declared.

While observing Elisi he found she had very expressive eyes, a very quiet demeanour. Although like today, sometimes she would incite a burst of extreme dread or extreme excitement.

Sebastian could tell she was deeply hurt in her past, however, she did not show signs of having crossed to a dark place despite all that.

Healers were a rarity. He could not simply allow her to slip away. Yet, his uncertainty remained, his reservation about whether she possessed the stability necessary to stand beside the king.

7