Chapter 20 – Learning about yesterday
129 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The King left to work early in the morning before Elisi has woken up. She was a little upset nobody woke her, for it would be too awkward to go to the kitchen this late.

She was feeling much better than before, though she was still drowsy and her head would spin if she made any sudden movement. At least the stubbing sensations were no longer there. She arranged herself and went down to greet her coworkers, whom she didn't see in the past days.

Elisi was at the entrance, slightly shivering in fear of not being welcomed. She knew it was irrational to feel this way since she did not leave them from her own volition, so she took a deep breath and shoved herself inside the kitchen. If she did not do it, she would be standing there for all eternity.

As soon as she entered, she bowed to the workers in the most remorseful way she could. It was important to show them it was sincere, that she valued them.

Rightfully so, they might have been wondering what the hell was she doing in the king's room all this time and not helping them instead once her hours were finished.

Elisi certainly needed to make it up to them for having the patience to accept such behavior from her.

"Sorry I have left you all this time, I'll make up for it in any way I can”

Most of the maids stayed silent, and only the cooks greeted her. This was something usual lately. Only Mary would talk to her, Norma sadly was sent to another castle by Mirna.

Elisi tried to remain cordial and not lower her head anymore. Despite being in this kind of situation for most of her past life, she still couldn't lock down the secret to ending this kind of cycle.

She still greeted them and helped them where she could, instead of hiding in a corner like she used to.

“Elisi” called Mirna with a menacing gaze. She looked like she was holding a lot of things to say, but she just told her to go see Sebastian.

Before Elisi could speak, she continued to talk to her.

“Aren’t you a lucky one”

What did she mean by that? Lucky to be with the king? She was there because none of them wanted the spot. And if almost lucky is being in a state of dying and suffering, she shall call it lucky. But Elisi knew they weren't aware of that fact, they only cared that she took care of Sebastian and the king.

A job nobody wanted before became the desire of every maid.

She knew the maids were following Mirna's whims when treating her like that. Their livelihood depended on being on her good side.

Eventually, Elisi just nodded and left the room.

If she spoke, she knew it would only give them a reason to be more hostile towards her.

***

When she arrived at Sebastian's chamber, Tiago came running towards her and gave her a brotherly hug with so much force that he almost shoved her to the floor, but Tiago thankfully helped her to stay steady.

“I’m sorry!” he cried.

His teary eyes were piercing her heart.

“It’s fine... It’s fine Tiago, you do not need to worry about that”

She looked at him wondering why he was feeling so sorry for her; he gave her the chance to prove herself and she screw it up, still, she felt lucky the king allowed her to stay by his side despite all.

she leaned on him as he guided her towards the chair, and then she saw Sebastian preparing the usual bowl of water so she could purify herself.

Tiago sat on the floor next to her chair and rested his head on her hand. Sebastian spoke while bringing a bowl larger than usual, then Tiago got up immediately to help his struggling grandfather. It was too heavy.

“What happened the other day it's something none of us would have imagined you could do. All this time, I've only let you cure small amounts of pain. What the king had was too much for you to handle,” he said as he was putting the bowl of water on her lap “I guess, you were very determined to help him”

Did Sebastian read her mind again she thought? She avoided his eyes, didn't want to be read again.

“So I cannot cure curses?” she asked

“There are small curses you can easily cure, then there are others you can only ease, but there is something I must tell you, As much as you can take the pain from a person and heal them. You can also make them sick and kill them”

Elisi did not quite understand his words.

In sudden fear, she took her hand off from Tiago's resting head.

"If I touch somebody, can I make them sick?"

"No, my dear, only if you feel some kind of ill-feeling like rage, but it needs to be extreme. It's not that easy, do not fear it"

Elisi looked at her hands worried she could harm somebody, but Tiago took her hand and nodded, maybe he wanted to show her there was nothing to be concerned about.

"Like mages can use their magic for good or bad, so do healers, that is all you needed to know”

“But, healers who do bad things might get sick themselves if they don't do it right,” said Tiago, trying to refute his grandfather.

She took her hands from Tiago again and just held onto her apron as tight as she could. Not being able to control her healing was a scary thought to her.

"I only told you that because the other day you were extremely distressed, it could have happened. Nevertheless, it is a very rare thing" but then he continued to sound a little worried "You are not a stable healer, Elisi... So let's keep it a secret for now. Once it becomes known, you will need to train with an actual healer and we don't know how it might go.”

Sebastian then put Elisi’s hands into the dish.

“For now, it looks like things came out of control because of the king's outbursts of pain, and your determination to help him,” Sebastian added "your healing powers are still small, but they are enough to keep the king stable. With lots of practice, you can become a great healer, Elisi!"

“What you did the other day might have been scary, but it was amazing,” Tiago suddenly looked enthusiastic.

Hearing his words of encouragement made her feel relieved.

“We are going to help you, the king already knows that you will come here to study every day for a few hours”

Elisi let go of her apron and wanted to hug, but her body won't move.

Tears were falling from her eyes, this time it was tears of happiness. She was happy that she had them and she didn't know how to show how grateful she was to be with them.

“Thank you so much! I'm so thankful,” Elisi was sobbing again.

“It’s been a tough week for you, my dear, let's just eat those sweets and have a small tea party”

“That’s too girly” Tiago complained

Elisi started laughing.

The fruity taste of the tea was like a tasting spring in the middle of a cool day, and being with Tiago and Sebastian made it even better.

Goin back to work was getting harder after having a joyful time.

5