Chapter 30 – Maybe
117 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Sebastian!”

Sebastian was standing in front of Dalion, who had dismissive eyes.

“Why you cannot be pleased? Is there any healer out there that has no connection to the temple? She is the only one.”

Dalion sat still on his desk.

“Tiago adores her like a big sister and for me, she is like the granddaughter I’ve never had. It would be a blessing if you were to accept her as well.”

Sebastian knew how to reason with him. Like a father, he always guided him to the best of his abilities, even though it is always hard to know his heart. Dalion would hardly open up about anything.

But somehow he seemed to be attached to Elisi. Even if it was subtle, there was something there. He would have dismissed her right away under normal circumstances, but here he is, fighting to be convinced by an old grandpa to keep her by his side.

“She is not strong yet, but she can keep you stable as long as you take care of yourself. How can you refuse? Even daring to hurt her like that yesterday.”

“I had no choice, and you knew it would happen. You used her, and you took advantage of her naivety to get her to me, and you knew I might kill her if I thought her to be guilty”

Dalion knew that after years of abuse Elisi had no self preservation last, she just drifted in the wind of people’s whims.

And those true words pained Sebatian. He used her.

“Like you, I also need to think what is best for this kingdom. You are this kingdom,” Sebastian added “I couldn’t let you continue to kill yourself. She was my only option. I admit I used her, but I do care for her.”

“Ber...”

“Berit is not ready to be a ruler in any way,”

Dalion stayed silent.

“But, please, promise me you won’t hurt her anymore. If you have any complaint... please, voice it to me,”

Dalion lifted his eyes in a serious manner. This time it unnerved Sebastian.

“Do such a thing again, and I will not forgive you.”

“Yes, my lord”

********

He has been getting much better lately.

That nervous ball that has been by his side for quite some time came in handy. He did not mind her at all.

Actually, every morning he would look forward to teasing her in the dark, but today was an exception.

He has been capable of working hard in his office and no longer the light bothered his eyes.

She looked like she was about to wake up, so he stood behind her, waiting to be noticed, until abruptly she got up and faced him.

Then the maid froze when she saw him and uttered something. Shortly after, she ran away from him.

He wouldn’t let her. How could she run elsewhere so easily from her king without saying a word?

Like a reflex, he snatched her and pulled her towards him.

“Always sneaking like a little bunny... you see? You still need to clean this room.”

Her eyes became teary, looking so far into him.

Was he too harsh on her? He didn't think so.

Suddenly she tried to touch his face; it startled him made him step back.

Maybe it was better to let her go until she calms down.

He didn't mean to make her uncomfortable, yet he did not know how to console her, either.

"Please leave and come back tomorrow"

One other maid might help her with her sudden sadness.

He could sense her beside the door, crying. Maybe he should go to get her? But Berit was coming and the maid run away once more.

His daughter entered with enthusiasm into the room.

Despite being in her mid-teens, she still kept her childless mood.

"Father, lets go to the garden"

*******

They loved strolling together around the garden looking at flowers. Now it was fall, just a few reddish ones were scattered around.

Berit seemed to be in a good mood walking around.

"These look like little pompoms. Would they look cute on my hair?"

The king nodded.

"I will make you a crown out of all the red flowers, they will suit you well"

Said Tiago, trying to get on her good side.

"I already have my crown of diamonds"

She refused as usual, but he won't give up. One day she will see his worth, he thought.

"Berit, you should not refuse his kindness so harshly"

Said the king.

"Don't say that now," she shushed her father in embarrassment.

The king always had a hard time staying in between the two.

Berit was raised by him like his daughter, and Tiago was raised beside him like a little brother.

"Dalion, Please Pro..."

Before Tiago could continue his sentence the king clinch his chest in pain and fell on his knees.

"It's happening again! Let's take him to his room, Tiago, please"

He immediately transferred him.

The king was getting worse and the two teens did not know what to do.

"Father, I know you don't like it, but we need to call the healer"

"I know who we can call"

Berit turned her head while side eyeing him. Was it the girl he has been practising with all along?

"She is a healer and knows your father well"

Berit did not like the idea. But if that person was somebody his father didn't mind and if they could stop his awful state, she will give her a chance.

"I'll tell Jeremy to look for her"

"No! Don't call for her..."

Dalion was struggling to speak.

5