Chapter 36 – Only See Red
88 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He left the room before she woke up. Dalion could not look into her painful eyes anymore.

Eyes that always were on the verge of tears, like his when he was young. In her sleep, she would cry and beg for a hug.

He did not know how to help her. Why was he feeling the urge to grab her and protect her? But he could not protect her the way she needed. He was her king, and she was his  subject.

In the end, all he did was to sit by his desk, catching up with work and ignore her.

The maid stood by his side quietly with her calming presence, yet her small nervousness always amused him.

He could not let himself behave like a man on her side. Those urges needed to be controlled for the sake of his sanity.

****

It was the next morning, and he needed to leave.

He already told Sebastian to look out for her and even told her to go straight to the mage or his room.

As he was walking towards the gates, Dalion saw her in the garden happily skipping on the dry leaves with a small innocent smile on her face.

“You seem quite happy while expecting my departure,”

Her smile faded and her eyes became big with concern.

The maid was about to deny his accusations, but Jeremy interrupted before she could speak.

Her gaze turned sad, so he patted her head to console and left.

It came so naturally to touch her. His silly reaction took him by surprise, and when notice the misdeed quietly, he took his hand away .

******

Distantly, he watched her fade as his carriage took him away from the castle.

Still almost an hour away, she wouldn’t leave his mind.

The thought he should not have her left alone would not leave him in peace.

He was in the carriage by himself when he stepped to driver and ordered to come back because he forgot his seal.

After his return, he went right back to his room to wait for her. He would take her with him.

Jeremy entered the room trying to talk, but was out of breath.

“My... *cough* my lord .... El... Elisi... *cough* the maids attacked her “

“.....”

"They ripped her clothes and cut her hair; she was shivering in Mary's arms when I saw her. What should I do? She says she would like to quit”

“Bring her first and then I’ll deal with the maids”

Jeremy took off quickly after his orders.

“Dammit”

The king banged on the desk

Then she came into his room with her head down.

She’s looked like she was ready to collapse, her body seemed smaller than usual.

“Is it true you would like to quit?”

The maid nodded.

“Is that so... then you must clean this room for the last time. Jeremy, you may leave”

Her body moved slowly, her uniform changed.

Dalion tried to sit down calmly, trying not to burst into anger.

He wanted to go shake her so she would tell him

Why didn’t she speak up after being bullied and smiled at him all this time.

Why he is so upset at himself?

Then he heard something break and as soon as he turned his gaze.

Her face froze with tears pouring from her eyes, then she looked back at him begging for forgiveness. Dalion was yet to see her so desperately.

“I’m sorry, I'm sorry!” Her voice cracked, and the maid fell on the floor.

As he bend towards her, she fainted as he was trying to grab her.

She was scared he would hit her. He knew her thoughts every time she flinched at any abrupt movement of his.

As he carried her to the resting place, he noticed scratches on her neck and arms.

She must have fought.

He could only see red in his eyes.

"Jeremy, bring all the maids responsible for this."

“Yes, my lord.”

Said Jeremy from behind the door.

5