Chapter 44 – Put Your Mittens
59 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Before Nela showed up to wake her, Elisi was already awake, looking at the window, wrapped in a thick knitted shawl. Big fluffy snow flakes flew in the air, only to cover the garden in white on their way down. 
 
While her eyes looked at the distance, the day she died came into her mind. The feeling of the melting flakes still tingled her cheeks and the tender touch of the men who consoled in her last moments lingered, making her death a less miserable memory.
 
She couldn’t help but remember it when she saw snow, yet no grudge gathered inside Elisi’s heart towards it. Such a view still looked charming to her, despite all.
 
“Oh my! You have already woken up, my lady.”
 
Elisi turned to look at Nela while she tightened her shawl.
 
“Are they leaving today despite the snow?”
 
“Yes, my lady...! they can’t cancel again. The duke would get upset if his majesty leaves him hanging again. Good thing we prepared everything yesterday, so you only need to get dressed,”
 
Elisi still couldn’t let the maid see her undressed, but once in her shifts she would let Nela take over, even though the dresses were very simple to wear. A healer’s dress code catered around modesty after all, unless they belonged to a very upper class family. 
 
Nela put a warm cape on her shoulders for the cold and winter boots.
 
After getting fully dressed, Elisi wondered nervously. Who will she travel with? Jeremy and the servants? She hasn’t interacted with them since that day, well, except Jeremy.
 
Elisi fallowed the maid, thinking she’ll finally use the main entrance, but in the end they used the north’s, which made her disappointed. When will she get to see that luxurious place with the big stairs one day?
 
The north entrance still shone in its prettiness. It had portraits of Dalion and Berit. He looked so handsome.
 
“Lady Elisi” called Dalion. 
 
Elisi almost got a heart attack after being enticed by the portrait. Like being spoken by a ghost.
 
“I figured it would be better to get in the carriage from here, since we would travel together.”
 
“I’ll be behind your carriage,” Jeremy said.
 
The butler was making funny faces of contemplation. Elisi bet he wondered as well why is she traveling with the king.
 
“I’ll take my leave,” said the butler and run off quickly. 
 
Nela took a peek to see Jeremy gone and then put her attention back to the couple in front of her, as the king offered his hand to Elisi so she could get into the carriage easily, she was about to give her hand pretending to be the main character in a romantic period drama, then a huge gasp interrupted their moment.
 
“Oh my! I forgot to give you gloves!”
 
Lena looked distressed, searching her pockets when she drove out a pair of gloves, then came in a hurry towards the Healer.
“Your majesty, I’m sorry about my imprudence,” she said while putting the mittens on Elisi’s hands and then whispered to Elisi’s ears, “You were about to be touched without gloves...”
 
- Too late, Nela... thought Elisi, mortified at herself. She already did it too many times. If she could escape and hide, she would. 
 
“She is my healer, so no use for that,” he responded with a dismissive voice, always in a low tone.
 
“Ah,” the maid agreed in her head.
 
*****
 
The servants locked the doors of the carriage and Elisi felt like they left her trapped inside a little cage with a very intimidating person.
 
- So close 
 
She just kept side eyeing him from the side, could not turn her head in his direction.
 
“I’ll sleep, try to stay awake and watch over me...” 
 
A light bulb appeared above her head.
 
Will she be able to see his handsome face while he sleeps? On a second thought, better not. 
 
Elisi tried to shut down any temptation. 
 
The space, of course small; a red-colored velvet covered the seats. Her hands felt like playing with it. Big curtained windows on the side made the little box feel a little airy, at least.
 
The space made it hard to move and since she happened to be the one to get in first, her position became fixed. If she were the one to get in after the king, she would have sat in the front instead. But now he was just sitting beside with her dress almost touching him.
 
Despite her turmoil, Elisi nodded and right away, Dalion closed his eyes, leaning his head on the cushion of the side of the couch.
 
His white eyelashes looked almost sparkly, his silver hair was inside a ponytail leaving his glorious face exposed to be inspected farther. There was no flaw to be found. How can a man be this beautiful? Elisi would ask herself again and again.
 
- Don’t look, don’t look or you’ll go crazy.
 
Elisi’s cheeks heated up, so abruptly she diverted her attention to the view. They already passed the city and now they were seeing the empty fields of endless whiteness.
 
How long will it take to get there?
 
Trying to make time go faster, Elisi also leaned her head on the window and kept looking as far away as she could.
 
Then she found herself in a garden where the birds were chirping loudly and warmly. The sun touched her skin, taking away the chilly feeling from before.
 
- The royal gardens?
 
It was exactly like the day she woke up after her death.
 
Noticing she was sitting next to the window, she moved to peek inside, finding out it to be empty.
 
But there were other windows, so she kept walking around pimping inside each one of them, amazed at how luxurious each room looked. Each one of them had a specific decor. Then she could hear some commotion from the next one.
 
when she peered, two young kids sitting behind a desk and in font of them a stiff-looking men, ah there one behind too.
 
- Who are they?
3