[1.11]: New Resolve
77 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
From the next arc/volume onwards, what is your preference with regards to the word count and upload
  • 1000-2000 words/ch & 3-4 ch/wk Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 2000-3000 words/ch & 1-2 ch/wk Votes: 1 50.0%
Total voters: 2
Announcement

Another poll! Please answer, it really helps me out.

The three siblings were each in their rooms, laying down in their beds while staring off blankly into the ceiling. Or that’s how it would appear for a third party. In truth, they were exploring the data chip Simon handed them after their discussion.

Horace in particular felt a little awkward reaching behind his ear and shoving a foreign object into an orifice in his head. In fact, as soon as the data chip slotted in flush with the surface he panicked. What if he couldn’t remove it? But his sudden urging instruction to, ‘get that thing out of me!’ promptly pushed out the data chip. It seemed that the implant could even interpret the implicit intention behind his thoughts. He marvelled at the efficacy of the software to be able to do that.

He re-inserted the data chip into his head and waited for a reaction. Not noticing any change, his first thought was that the chip was faulty. But then again, he had no idea how the implant was supposed to work. He scolded himself for not asking Simon. He hated the process of grasping around in the dark. Contrary to the way he looked, Horace was a stickler for following instructions. He despised winging it, that was Karina’s thing.

After trying a bunch of strategies, and failing in vain, he finally instructed internally to open the contents of the data chip, and a translucent screen flashed in front of him. Suppressing his growing fascination to try and grab what was before him, he scrolled through the content of the screen.

01_Research
    |__ Neural impulse conductive metal tests
    |__ Nerve-metal fusion process
    |__ Complete artificial spinal reconstruction
    |__ Cerebral programming - Neural software repository
02_Images and Videos
    |__ Birthdays
    |__ Events
    |__ w/ Triplets
    |__ w/ Simon
    |__ Family
    |__ Misc.
03_Software Repository
    |__ Meka neural interfacer software patch
    |__ NetDive neural software patch
    |__ HUD [prototype]
    |__ Cyber implant software patch
    |__ AR/VR add-on

He scrolled through the research folder, skimming its contents. He didn’t really understand a lot of the jargon thrown around in there - it wasn’t his field of interest after all. He did gain an understanding of what was inside his head though. No wonder his siblings were so quick at assimilating and applying new skills. They had a literal computer inside their brain!

What struck a critical hit to his heart was the plethora of pictures, videos and VR experiences in the ‘Images and Videos’ folder. He tried entering a few VR experiences and was bombarded with a concoction of warm emotions that nearly caused him to bawl. He could feel the affection his grandfather had for the siblings and Simon, and the pride he felt as they grew up. He was elated to learn exactly how much his grandfather loved him.

And thus no matter what he tried, Horace’s mind kept spiralling back to Simon’s revelation about his grandfather’s past. When he thought about it, he couldn’t help but get a little agitated. He had a decent understanding of the sheer power held by multi-system corporations such as Zarro Consolidated. To flee their sphere of influence with valuable data would not have been an easy task. He could guarantee that his grandfather’s successful defection was a one in a billion fluke. The corporations were bloodhounds when it came to finding defectors and whistleblowers, and they were ruthless when it came to disposing of loose ends once they got their hands on them. He’d heard of rumours of how corporate agents found defected executives and whistleblowers mixed in with the slum dwellers of some newly terraformed Rank 5 planet, or in the underbelly of some crime-ridden partially habitable satellite. The thought that his grandfather had to scurry through the back alleys and the filth across the galaxy nearly caused Horace to burst a vein.

His imagination was fabricating unsettling thoughts and he just couldn’t take it anymore. Horace silently got up from his bed and tip-toed to Simon’s room, carefully so that he didn’t wake up his siblings.

He slowly approached Simon’s door and knocked just loud enough for the occupant within to hear. He held his ears close to the door and heard a familiar noise of an LChair approaching him. Simon opened the door and moved aside to let Horace in. He had already expected his siblings to make an appearance, but Simon took care not to show it.

Simon quickly cleared up a chair in his room and gestured for Horace to sit down.

Once Horace was seated, the two looked at each other silently. Horace was facing difficulty figuring out where to start. His legs carried him here, but deep down he was feeling a little uncertain over things. Simon, on the other hand, was already prepared to answer any questions his siblings could throw his way.

With a long exhale, Horace began questioning. “Can you tell me more about Grandpa? What exactly happened back when he worked in Zarro Consolidated?”

Simon faked recollection before answering. “Umm, he used to work in a covert R&D facility under Zarro Consolidated. Obviously, the research they conducted skirted some of UPA’s bottom lines. He initially started as a grunt researcher and quickly made his way up the ladder and became a department head. His first proposal was the Neural Integrated Bio-implant, the thing that’s inside us. When he proposed it, the higher-ups scrapped the project saying that it took way too many resources. It required running a lot of simulations to optimise the nerve-metal fusion process.

He tried to push harder for the project to get greenlit, but basically, they concluded that the technology was ahead of its time and financially wasteful. But through some fluke, the proposal landed in the hands of the then CEO’s grandson who was a huge Meka fanatic. The prospect of elevating neural aptitude and capacity attracted him and he bankrolled the entire project. And that’s where things went wrong.”

Simon moved closer to his door and raised his volume a little as he continued speaking. “Since he could do nothing about the processing requirements for the simulations, the grandson started to ‘recruit’ people from a planet Zarro Consolidated recently terraformed. They went straight to human testing to figure out the kinks with the procedure.

Grandpa was obviously against it, so the guy replaced Grandpa with a colleague and transferred the authority over to him. Grandpa held out through the earlier tests, but very quickly they started to test on teens, then children and finally toddlers barely able to string legible words together.”

Horace’s face scrunched up in disgust at the thought. He shook his head morosely as he dispersed the grotesque images from his mind.

“When they finally managed to perfect the procedure, they made us, well you three. I was a failure. They were going to dispose of me, but that was the last straw for Grandpa! He broadcasted the test logs from the facility to the UPA and fled with us four when the Association raided the facility. It was a close call the way Grandpa described it. He didn’t really go into much detail about exactly how he escaped. Officially, we were pronounced dead and Zarro Consolidated washed its hands off of the facility and everything within.”

With a knowing nod, Horace muttered to himself. “So that’s why Grandpa made it out safely with us.”

But then something struck him. “Why hasn’t Zarro Consolidated, or any other corporation for that matter, released a Neural Integrated Bio-implant like ours?”

“That’s because, from a corporation’s perspective, the procedure is inefficient. The bio-metal that is used is also involved in the production of Mekas and NetDive Boards. You’re essentially siphoning a resource for both building the Meka, and augmenting its pilot. And besides, consumers prefer having more control over their cyber implants. Ours is permanent. Moreover, there is still more room for advancement in existing genetic treatments and cyber implant technology.”

Horace hung his head and started rubbing the calluses in his palm. Simon wanted to stimulate Horace further as he felt Horace still hadn’t reached the tipping point.

“Is this the only reason you came here? At this time? You could’ve asked this tomorrow morning as well.”

Horace smiled sheepishly, but then his face turned resolute.

“It sucks you know? Grandpa did so much for us. He sacrificed so much! It would have been so easy to just let things go as they were. But he took the thorny path. And he left before we could do anything for him. IT SUCKS! ARGH! What do I do Simon?” Horace exclaimed.

“What does your gut tell you? What do you want to do?” Simon prodded.

“I can’t let them get away with it! Not just for Grandpa, but for me too! Zarro Consolidated took away my choice. Forget about the results, the fact that they managed to do something so… so despicable and got away scot-free, really pisses me off.”

Simon decided to finally play his hand. “Is it revenge that you want?”

Horace laughed disparagingly. “Is that even something we can achieve? Against Zarro Consolidated, we’re just ants!”

Simon moved closer and provoked Horace further. “If that is what you want… What do we have to lose?” He chuckled.

Horace’s mind ran rampant. ‘Simon’s right! We have nothing to lose but ourselves. This is the least we can do for Grandpa!’

Horace’s eyes gained a new resolve. He lifted his head and looked at Simon with a burning desire, “I want to fuck over Zarro Consolidated! I want it to burn!”

Simon smirked in response and held up his palm. Horace grasped Simon’s hand tightly in solidarity and shook it.

Simon spoke in low volume. “Now get outta here. I need to sleep.”

Horace quickly sprung up from his seat and rushed towards the door. As he opened the door, a familiar figure stumbled in headfirst.

“Karina! What’re you doing here?” Horace exclaimed. As he did so, Nathan carefully stepped around Karina and helped her up.

Simon put on a surprised expression, but he already knew that the two were eavesdropping in his conversation. It was all part of Simon’s plan.

Simon looked at Nathan with an inquisitive gaze. For Simon, influencing Nathan would be the toughest since his observation skills were top-notch. If Simon, even slightly, let out that he was trying to lead them in a particular direction, Nathan would recognise it immediately.

Nathan spoke with a hint of apprehension. “We sort of overheard you guys talking, while we were waiting outside.”

Simon nodded and replied, “And? Why were you waiting outside?”

Without hesitating, Karina chimed in. “We’re in!”

Nathan nodded and elaborated, “It’s only right that we repay the kindness Grandpa showed us.”

Simon exhaled in resignation and asked one last time. “Are you guys sure? Once we step down this road, there will be no turning back. There will be risks, and we will face many losses.”

The three gave a resolute nod in response. “We’re sure!”

Simon sighed and waved them away. “Fine! It’s getting late now. Get going, you guys!”

The three filed out of Simon’s room calmly. Nathan was last to leave, but before he closed the door, he hesitated.

“Speak.”

Nathan poked his head in and asked Simon a question he’d held back from the very beginning. “Was that… everything?”

Simon tilted his head. The expression on his face quickly drained and was replaced with his usual neutral look. “Do you think I’ve been hiding things from you guys?”

Nathan lowered his head and retorted calmly, “That’s not it. It’s just… I don’t know. Everything feels so frustrating!”

Simon moved closer to Nathan and spoke in a gentle tone. “You’re coping with Grandpa’s passing. It’s a natural feeling. It will take time, just take it slowly. Hmm?”

Nathan nodded and left promptly.

As Simon closed his room door, he sighed in relief. He was a little on edge back then. He feared that Nathan caught on to his subterfuge. He silently modified his future plan of action and highlighted the need to practice additional caution when handling Nathan.

Silently, Simon celebrated his successful attempt in diverting his siblings. He was not very confident about the success of the whole matter - manipulating human emotion was not something he was good at. It was almost like using a hammer to fasten a screw. But his careful planning, and Byron’s coaching, bore fruit.

And now since that was out of the way, Simon was ready to move on with the next step of his plan!

Word Count: 2096

Going to be another 1 chapter week.

This first arc/volume is going to be ~25 chapters long. From the next arc onwards, I wanted to gauge the reader's preference. Please answer the poll at the start of the chapter.

Currently working on a better cover. Will keep updating as I go along.

If you can, please leave your thoughts on my writing style.

2