Chapter 19 Memories of the past
1.3k 7 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

— No. 34 and 33. Please stand clear from the door and wait for the soldiers to escort you to the testing room. Disobeying orders will result in extended trial sessions and/or reduced relief time.

The two, 33 and 34, obeyed the voice's commands with no hesitation and stopped what they were doing. Throwing away the coloring pens in their hands, they stood tall and straight with no movements on opposite sides to each other just outside the door. 

The two were clearly nervous and afraid of disobeying the orders, as shown from their shaking bodies. The two looked exactly alike as they were twins, the only difference one having longer hair and a slimmer stature. They wore plain white clothes with no shoes and the room they were staying in only had two simple beds, a toilet in the corner, and the art crafts messily laying on the cold white floor. 

BZZZTT 

The iron door in the center of the wall let out a loud buzzing along with a clear click from the door's locks. Several armed soldiers clad in black special ops-like armor swarmed the room, violently pressing the two children on the ground. The boys' face was roughly rubbed against the finished artwork the girl had drawn for him, anger rising within his chest as they were being restrained by heavy metal shackles. 

'Sister... your drawing...' (34)

'It's okay brother, ill draw you another one after okay?' (33)

'Okay...' (34)

The twins communicated with each other via their minds which was unknown to the commanding voice and soldiers escorting them. There was already another pair of boy and girl waiting in the large empty room that had a slightly raised, circular platform in the center. Many vague figures dressed in white lab coats doing various tasks on machinery were seen through a ground-to-ceiling glass window. 

— Numbers 33 and 108. Please step up onto the platform. 

The two called numbers fearfully stepped onto the platform following the man's voice. 

— Now exercise your gifts until one of you is left standing.

The boy with a No. 108 tag on his chest clenched his teeth and ran straight towards 33. Startled by his quick-wittedness, 33 was taken advantage of and tackled to the floor. A strange metallic sheen glossed over 108's fist appearing like a solid iron ball. 

Crush! 

33's face was hit by his fist, breaking her nose entirely causing her to cry as blood poured out from her nose. She struggled and kicked around fiercely under the boys' weight but was unable to shake him off. Instead, this caused the boy to become even more desperate as he started to wail his fists onto her face without stopping. 

"Stop!"

The boy did not stop and his fists heavily smashed into the girl's face. Her tears fell and more blood splattered along the ground and covered his fists.

The girl's struggle died down over time until her limbs fell limp, the entire time 34 stared at this horrific scene of his sister's adorable face being crushed mercilessly by the boy's fist. 

'Brother... it hurts... I'm sorry brother...'

"Ugh..." 

34 could no longer stand his sister being tormented and appearing to be on death's door. He glared at the man on the other side of the window before he turned back to the boy beating his sister. 

"I said stop!" 

The boy sitting atop 33 slowed in his movements and his face became pale, confused, and shocked. Many emotions raged inside him until he looked at 34 to the side staring at him with hatred. Collapsing to the floor, 34 gripped his head in pain as he thought about what just happened. It felt as though a wave was sent from his head and into the boys, causing his actions to stop.

"I... I had to do it... we can't disobey his o-"

"Shut up!"

Seeing the boy who actually listened to his words, 34 realized that it was his Gift that was being used on the boy, causing him to listen to his words. No, to be more precise, the power he used to persuade the boys' brain. 

"Sir, should I restrain the subject?"

— No. Leave him alone. I want to see what he can do next. 

34 had wanted to 'order' 108 to kill himself but the expected effect didn't happen. Unable to give such a strong command to the boy, a strong backlash returned to his head sending him to collapse to the floor in pain. Released from the power that immobilized him, he returned his sights to the girl below, raising his fist to finally end this one-sided fight.

Bang 

Just as his fist was about to hit its intended target, 34 who was previously curled up on the floor tackled him and the two were sent rolling along the platform. The platform was not that wide, and the two easily fell off the edge with 34 on top of 108.

"Die!" 

The two competed in endurance as 34 wrapped his hands around 108's neck, trying to choke him to death. Of course, 108 wouldn't die without a struggle as he tried crushing his opponents' wrists. Several minutes past and 34's wrists were bloody and broken, but his hands didn't loosen one bit until those damned fists lost their metallic luster and fell to the floor, the life within his eyes disappearing. The child who was not even 8 years old, died by another child of similar age.

— A wonderful display of sheer willpower and tenacity. Guards, escort 33 and 34 to the research facility for further testing. 

"W-wait! Huff, just take me, huff, plea-" 

A painful force struck the back of his head as the approaching guard knocked him out with the butt of his gun. The last thing he saw was his sister staring back at him with teary eyes, then the two fell unconscious. 

47